Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Absolutely. Otherwise, why would it replace the She's The One OST in the catalog?

Hep Alien and faceinthecrowd like this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, definitely revisionist history. I mean, to me "Hung Up and Overdue", closes this album.

Whatever. All the music from that period is welcome.

Hep Alien, Sean, J_D__ and 5 others like this.
  3. I'm a real fan of the original album, but this new avatar can be interesting. Seems they try to make it a regular album... not a fan of this idea, but wait and see...

4. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Wouldn't look as bad if they didn't circumcise the headstock of his guitar.

Alright4now likes this.
  5. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

That's certainly a Martin. Couldn't they leave the original CF Martin logo on the headstock?

6. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

If that was the only thing wrong with it, I'd be okay. But Good Lord, that is the worst looking photoshop job I've seen on an official release for an artist of his stature during this century. Ugh.

I just hope this doesn't indicate the kind of pressing and mastering quality we'll be getting.

Hep Alien, mcwlod, J_D__ and 5 others like this.
  7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm sure it will. The estate wants as much $$$ they can get. It's a single LP that should be easy to manufacture. I'm sure it will be around for awhile. I'm just hoping it doesn't get some inflated price. Tom himself was pretty good at keeping his standard reissue prices low. $25 was the retail for doubles like Highway Companion, Last DJ, etc. Of course, a jump in standard pricing is inevitable at some point.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Well, Gibson did just release a signature Tom Petty model.

If they didn't want to include the Martin logo they could have just photoshopped it off without completely butchering the headstock.

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Perhaps a wider release with two extra tracks later...

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Exclusive!

Hep Alien, zobalob, mcwlod and 4 others like this.
  11. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

At least for six months, guaranteed. Then you can get the tracks free with the purchase of a lollipop.

12. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Taken from the RSD thread; - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (Songs & Music from the Motion Picture She's the One) (Cobalt Blue Vinyl)

1 Angel Dream (No. 2)
    2 Grew Up Fast
    3 Change the Locks
    4 Zero From Outer Space
    5 *******
    6 One of Life’s Little Mysteries
    7 Walls (No. 3)
    8 Thirteen Days
    9 105 Degrees
    10 Climb That Hill
    11 Supernatural Radio (Extended Version)
    12 French Disconnection

So it looks like the two instrumentals, Walls (Circus), & Angel Dream (No. 4) will remain exclusive performances to the original STO. Not sure how I feel about this tracklist, I must be honest.

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Of course, I'm in... Always liked the album anyhow.

14. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!) Thread Starter

Well this is disappointing. I can understand how Hung Up and Overdue is now living in the Wallflowers universe, but dumping Walls (Circus) altogether seems quite dumb.

Hep Alien, zobalob, mcwlod and 6 others like this.
  15. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

This was their chance to open the record with the music video extended version of "Walls (Circus)". How they could drop that ball is beyond me.

16. FJFP

With @McCool back on board, it would be great to hear from him and especially @ryan de topanga if any of this was based off something Tom had planned. We know that when the HiRes catalog came out while Tom was with us, STO was left off. Was he planning this release, and had he drafted out an idea of what he'd like it to include?

Hep Alien, tfunk182, maui jim and 2 others like this.
  17. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

So the justification for removing those 4 tracks is that they were intended for the double-disc Wildflowers and therefore belong on All the Rest rather than here... but “13 Days,” which has the same provenance, somehow belongs here rather than on All the Rest? o_O

(Also, 3 of the 4 tracks that were removed actually appear in the movie—“Climb That Hill” being the exception—while “13 Days” does not.) When is a soundtrack not a soundtrack?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  18. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Out of all of the things we fans can speculate “Tom wouldn’t have agreed to this”, I think it’s safe to say the cover art for this release could be #1.

19. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

BTW, these are the songs listed in the film credits, according to IMDB:

Walls (Circus)
    Written by Tom Petty
    Performed by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
    Produced by Rick Rubin, Tom Petty, Mike Campbell
    Engineered by Sylvia Massy
    Tom Petty appears courtesy of Warner Bros. Records Inc.

Walls (No. 3)
    Written by Tom Petty
    Engineered by Sylvia Massy

Angel Dream
    Written by Tom Petty

Worthy
    Written and Performed by Ani DiFranco
    Courtesy of Righteous Babe Records

California
    Written by Tom Petty

That Lady
    Written by Ernie Isley, Marvin Isley, Ronald Isley, O'Kelly Isley (as O'Kelley Isley) and Chris Jasper
    Performed by The Isley Brothers
    Courtesy of Epic Records
    By Arrangement with Sony Music Licensing

Grew Up Fast
    Written by Tom Petty
    Produced by Tom Petty, Mike Campbell and Rick Rubin

Hung Up & Overdue
    Written by Tom Petty

Hope You Never
    Written by Tom Petty

20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I never was a huge fan of the two instrumentals. But I must agree that I have mixed feelings about getting rid of "Walls (Circus)" and "Angel Dream (No. 4)." On one hand, I always thought that two versions of each song on the same album was overkill. On the other hand, I liked both versions of each song. They'll probably release it as a R$D 7" single next year.

21. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Yeah. And I've already got the CD and vinyl of the OST (although the SQ of both is not up to par with his other reissues). So, I can always listen to the original if I want. It will be interesting to do a side-by-side with these.

Bakeryrec and bobloblaw like this.
  22. FJFP

At the very least, Walls (Circus) got the better SQ treatment on The Best of Everything.

I just span my copy of STO. It's better than I remember sonically for a 25min per side LP, but it shows how much I've played 'All the Rest' - after California I lept up to flip it over, and Supernatural Radio knocked me right back in to my chair!

23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I’m disappointed to not have Walls (Circus) on this one as I wanted to hear that one with a potential sonic upgrade (not that there was anything wrong with it in the first place).

This makes me wonder if this is a teaser to another set or loose ends clean up before a ‘Wildflowers 2’ project can be realized? Leaving off two major tracks to the album would seem to indicate that, maybe?

Aside from that, I’ve got the CD, vinyl from the recent box set and I’ll be picking up this...I won’t pile on about the cover though I really want to.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. FJFP

Honestly, this seems to be the clean up project. My comments before about questioning if Tom had any say in this was most spurred by this - he clearly preferred (No. 3) as this was the arrangement he was playing right on his last tour, and thus he would include that here. The duplication of songs also wouldn't make sense on this being seen as a proper studio LP between WF and Echo, so who knows. The original is staying on streaming, so maybe they're just sticking with that?

Hep Alien and AppleCorp3 like this.
  25. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]

As it pertains to TP's disposition regarding the soundtrack, I have no idea as to the semantics regarding how he viewed it as part of his overall catalog other than what he spoke of publicly and that is he didn't care for it. In short, his issues with the soundtrack were wide ranging from the premise to the content to it's reception upon release to market. So as per the press release, this forthcoming release entitled "Angel Dream" is both the means of re-introducing the project to the market but also casting it as a Tom Petty/Heartbreakers album rather than a mere soundtrack, something that was seemingly at the crux of Tom Petty's frustration regarding how the record was regarded.

The fact that the tracks associated with the soundtrack are now being looked upon as being assimilated into a proper Tom Petty/Heartbreakers album should answer some of the questions posted up above regarding why certain tracks were obscured and others included on this new release. The dual presentation of two selections on the soundtrack alongside the instrumental cuts were essentially products of having to fill out an entire album's worth of content, all compiled very hastily back in '96. In fact the reason why the track "Walls" was presented in two unique versions on the OST was because director Edward Burns requested one version of the track which he could place over the titles and another one that could be placed over the credits. So I wasn't surprised to learn that the forthcoming issue would only contain one version of each track that originally appeared as a dual presentation on the OST. As mentioned in the presser, a previously unheard instrumental was included however as a nod to the original presentation of the album.

The HiRes aspect is above my pay grade but I'm sure once he is able to, Ryan Ulyate will chime in here with all of the details regarding the creative side to this forthcoming project. Remember this project is being delineated as a remix, remaster and recasting of the album "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" so that is a lot to unpack which I'm sure Ryan Ulyate will get to once he's able to discuss as this project has yet to receive it's official announcement to market although with the press release being made available to the musical papers that is pretty much a formality at this point. Stay Tuned!

This is the Original EPK for "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One". In 1994/1996 respectively Tom Petty/Heartbreakers released EPKs related to both "Wildflowers" and "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" to certain media outlets and retailers to promote the albums. The "Wildflowers" EPK can be seen in the "Wildflowers And All The Rest" thread:

ARK, jeremylr, segue and 12 others like this.