Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Haven't played it lately, but I've always liked his JCO set from the mid-70s too.
    [​IMG]

2. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Jimmy Giuffre: The Capitol & Atlantic Recordings #5

[​IMG]

3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Here’s the track list for Bird in LA.

LP 1
    Side A
    December 17, 1945
    1. Intro over I Waited for You into How High the Moon (incomplete)...................................... 4:11
    2. Intro dialogue with Gibson into Handsome Harry the Hipster (incomplete) (no Parker).... 4:15
    3. Cement Mixer (fragment) into Intro into Blues (fragment).................................................. 1:20
    4. Dizzy Atmosphere (fragment) (no Parker improvisation)..................................................... 1:04
    5. Fifty-Second Street Theme into closing announcement....................................................... 1:53
    Possibly December 10, 17, or 29, 1945
    AFRS “Jubilee,” NBC Studios, Hollywood, California
    Dizzy Gillespie and His Orchestra Featuring Charlie Parker
    6. Groovin’ High into announcement........................................................................................ 5:47
    Side B
    1. Intro dialogue with Gillespie into Shaw ‘Nuff into announcement...................................... 4:51
    2. Intro dialogue with Gillespie into Dizzy Atmosphere into announcement........................... 4:36
    3. Intro dialogue with Gillespie into A Night in Tunisia into announcement............................ 4:59
    4. Intro dialogue between Vallee and Gibson into Salt Peanuts............................................... 3:40

LP 2
    Side A
    1. Billie’s Bounce........................................................................................................................ 3:45
    2. Ornithology ........................................................................................................................... 5:04
    3. All the Things You Are............................................................................................................ 5:13
    4. Blue ‘n’ Boogie....................................................................................................................... 5:15
    Side B
    1. Anthropology into announcement........................................................................................ 2:51
    Probably March or April 1946
    AFRS “Jubilee,” NBC Studios, Hollywood, California
    2. Intro discussion into Cherokee into announcement............................................................. 4:22
    November 22, 1948
    Jazz At the Philharmonic, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, California
    3. Ornithology............................................................................................................................ 4:11
    4. Dizzy Atmosphere.................................................................................................................. 5:39
    5. Out of Nowhere..................................................................................................................... 3:35

LP 3
    Side A
    July 14, 1952
    Party at Jirayr Zorthian’s Ranch, top of Fair Oaks Avenue, Altadena, California
    1. Scrapple from the Apple (incomplete)................................................................................. 5:44
    2. Au Privave/Dance of the Infidels......................................................................................... 13:11
    Side B
    1. Night in Tunisia...................................................................................................................... 7:33
    2. How High the Moon/Ornithology......................................................................................... 7:31
    3. Party Chatter into Embraceable You .................................................................................... 3:45

LP 4
    Side A
    1. Hot House ............................................................................................................................. 7:07
    2. Cool Blues............................................................................................................................ 12:15
    Side B
    1. March Noodling/Dixie........................................................................................................... 4:12
    Probably July 28, 1952 at Zorthian’s Ranch
    2. Scrapple from the Apple...................................................................................................... 13:14
    Probably July 1952, Unknown Location, Los Angeles, California
    3. Au Privave (incomplete)........................................................................................................ 4:28

Half of the release is the Zorthian Ranch material, which has been around, and is not the best sounding material but with Bird you take what you can get. It’s a sight better than the Benedetti material.

Here’s the Zorthian material, Charlie Parker performing at Zorthian Ranch on July 14, 1952

Here is an All About Jazz review of the previously issued Zorthian material and basically pans it.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/at-jir...onforme-review-by-david-rickert.php?width=414

Lastly, here are the session details from Losin, Session details: Jirayr Zorthian's ranch (July 15, 1952)

Perhaps Verve has found a way to clean it up. Most likely, I will opt for the cd version.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    frightwigwam, jbg, davidpoole and 3 others like this.
  4. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Gill Scott-Heron Pieces of a Man (Flying Dutchman, CDSOL-45707)

5. ILovethebassclarinet

Cement Mixer, eh? Slim Gaillard?
    Slim Gaillard - Slim's Jam - Slim Gaillard 1945-6

6. ILovethebassclarinet

I think that the last time I saw that was c. 1973-74, when Pharoah and Rahsaan were here in town for a week each at a place called The Stables (about a 1/4 mile from where I'm sitting right now; they weren't there together, just in the same general time period); Marcus Belgrave was but one who came by to sit in with both.

lschwart likes this.
  7. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  8. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

fingerpoppin, jbg, mwheelerk and 3 others like this.
  9. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Ornette Coleman - New York Is Now ! (Blue Note TYCJ-81060)

Spring 1968 album with Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison and Dewey Redman.

[​IMG]

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

11. Berthold

Jimmy Giuffre: Western Suite

[​IMG]

lschwart, peter1, vanhooserd and 9 others like this.
  12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think you are not a huge fan of Blue Note and hard bop in general ( perhaps an over generalization, apologies if i am wrong here ) but Moncurs songwriting in particular on that label in the mid sixties for his own records and for others like McLean are real favourites of mine. While there is obviously other equally great stuff from BN at this time ( like Hills work ) nothing beats his work as a writer and player for me personally on the label... if you dont know it, well worth checking out.

13. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

14. ATR

ATR Senior Member

My demonstration surround sound disc is Miles Davis – In A Silent Way (2002, SACD) . Multi channel mix was done in 2002 by Wilder and Philabaum. I've had the single layer disc for years, there's a hybrid also. Surround mix quality, like anything else, are a question of taste. Some people just don't like much action from other than the front. I don't care for a lot of moving around, but I do enjoy the additional space and separation that comes with a surround mix. The sensation is much like what happened the first couple of times I remember listening through headphones, but better. HRAudio.net - Stockhausen: Stimmung - Hillier . HRAudio.net - Tony Malaby: Apparitions Either one of the Tony Malaby recordings on Songlines are excellent.

15. Yes, I was reflecting on the Charlie Parker RSD release and how best to hear it. I'm leaning towards streaming if that's an option.

Apparently his Scottish dad was a jazz fan, and Thompson grew up listening to his dad's 78s of 'jazzers'. Though the folkies seemed to have something against 'jazzers' -- sounds like it was tribal, with a few exceptional cross-overs.
    There are still signed copies of his book online (see separate thread) if you're fond of physical books.

Glad to see the Enja titles on CD Japan. How has the mastering been on prior versions (@Sorcerer mentioned the Archie Shepp title sounding good, and I'm curious if I can expect similar high quality to the excellent Impulse and Candid remasters). In many cases, the original German vinyl is available for about the same price as the budget CD, but I'm considering for the exceptions.

Here's the Roland Kirk LP details on RSD website. It looks like material that may have had a 2006 CD release, though perhaps first analog release, and Gearbox are top notch for analog.

16. ILovethebassclarinet

17. NP: Yusef Lateef - A Flat, G Flat and C (Impulse stereo original 1966)

Starting the sunny morning with a gorgeous quartet session led by Lateef on mostly his own compositions.
    Less eastern-influenced, more blues-based.

Can someone versed in musical theory explain the significance of the title?
    [​IMG]

18. Berthold

Jimmy Giuffre & Jim Hall Trio: The Studio Recordings #1

[​IMG]

19. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I used to have the 24bit domestic CD of Steam. Back then I was on different speakers and DAC. I was also forced to listen on headphones only for a number of years. The Steam CD used to bother me. It had too prominent bass drum I think. Too up front. Now it could well be these new Japanese discs have the same 24 bit Enja remasters as the domestic CDs from the early 2000s, because my sound system has improved quite a bit since. But I must say it puzzles me that the sound kept me from listening to this stellar live album back then. It's a not perfect recrording, but I have no complaints about the mastering (and mix) now. Top Archie Shepp.

Edit: correction, I meant not a perfect recording.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I have purchased quite a few of the recent Enja releases from Japan over the last four or five years from Galper, Shepp, Hawkins et al and the mastering is quite good. I expect these to be similarly very nicely done.

21. Lonson

Ben Thomas "The Mystagogue" cd

[​IMG]

Ben Thomas - vibes
    Laura Caviani - piano
    Clipper Anderson - bass
    John Bishop - drums

with on some tracks:
    Eric Likkel - clarinet
    Rick Mandyck - tenor sax
    Mark Piszczek - soprano sax

22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I may take a wait and see attitude about the Bird release.

I have several of the Enja releases and I think the sound is very good. I’m pretty happy with them.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

Not a single name I recognize - GREAT!

Gugaz likes this.
  24. Lonson

Ben Thomas is quite a player and musical thinker, I've been enjoying exploring his work.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  25. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

NP; Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue

[​IMG]