Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Hummus

Hummus Senior Member

Has anyone listened to the bootleg DVD-Audio 5.1 Animals release?

1977 Pink Floyd - Animals (DVD-Audio)
    • mastered from 8-track Quadro tapes
    • contains the Q8- and SQ version and different versions of "Pigs On The Wing", also the one with Snowy White
    [​IMG]

The DVD has a 6-channel MLP mix in 24-bit 96Khz.

Hunting around, it looks like a very well done up-mix and could be this release:

PINK FLOYD - ANIMALS - QUADRAPHONIC DOUBLE FEATURE
    (Q8 & SQ VERSION + BONUS FEATURE)

This needs some explanation: Most people (and the Pink Floyd fans too)
    know just the common Animals version (LP, CD …) but there were
    Q8 versions (in stereo!) too. The hardcore-collectors know about the difference.
    On the Q8 tapes the two parts of “Pigs On The Wing” are bridged by a
    special guitar solo for continuous run of the Q8 tape. The solo itself was played
    by Snowy White instead of Gilmour!!
    As far as I know this version was never upmixed properly.
    So you will get here:

• ANIMALS with full separation quadraphonic sound.
    • ANIMALS as an imaginary Q8-tape quadraphonic version (with Snowy White bridge solo in between “Pigs On The Wing”).
    • ANIMALS as an imaginary SQ-LP quadraphonic version (with the normal track sequence and without the solo)
    • ANIMALS bonus feature with all 3 quadraphonic bridge solo versions of
      • “Pigs On The Wing” – upmixed from
      • UK-Q8 tape
      • US-Q8 tape
      • Snowy White’s Gold Top CD.
    • ANIMALS as a quadraphonic DVD-Audio with full 3-page menu and cover pictures.
    The stereo sources were sliced to 6 mono channels with Plogue.
    Then all of the channel’s mono waves were carefully remastered separately
    ‘cause the original remaster CD sources were over-compressed.
    The source was the Japan Cardsleeve Remaster CD.
    The bridge solo in the first mix is sourced from Snowy White’s Gold Top CD.
    In the first moments this DVD-Audio sounds like a mono version – so be patient

ET3311 and jamesc like this.
  2. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I don't recall seeing this before. Any idea if it's new? I've got an upmix (the BWHI mix), but it doesn't look like this is the same one.

Hattipper likes this.
  3. Hummus

Hummus Senior Member

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

AFAIK, that Quad 8 track was advertised but never produced/released.

McLover likes this.
  5. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

>>> This may be best thing we'll get for now (or possibly ever.) If I had a surround setup I'd definitely give it a listen.

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I haven’t heard this, but I sure would like to. I tried searching for it but can’t find a way to access it.

7. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

So it has been established that there never was an official release of Animals in 4.0 Quad in the day. Was it in fact ever mixed in 4.0 but not released? Or are all of the unofficial versions really just upmixes from the stereo?

8. Pink Floyd did create Quadrophonic Sound Effects Tapes for the 1977 shows, pretty sure they did not do a quad mix of Animals.

The quad mixes for earlier albums/tracks were all done at Abbey Road, not sure if a quad mix was attempted at Britannia Row.

James Guthrie has produced/is producing 5.1 mixes of Animals/The Wall that have yet to be released.

Quadrophonic Sound Effects Tapes for In The Flesh
    Set One
    Sheep (opening sheep sounds and the quad panned sermon voices)
    Pigs On The Wing (Part 1) (wind effects)
    Dogs (quad barking and the backing surround keyboard part for the solo section)
    Pigs On The Wing (Part 2) (birds in the back)
    Pigs (quad grunting)
    Set Two
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1 - 5) (wine glasses intro)
    Welcome To The Machine (the quad panned throbbing synth backing track)
    Have A Cigar (the ‘reduced to AM radio’ event that sweeps across the venue)
    Wish You Were Here (the opening radio bit and wind effects)
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6 - 9) (wind effects and the wine glasses outros)
    Encore
    Money (cash register sound effects)

AFAIK The only Quadrophonic version of the Animals tracks is on a live bootleg called Best Of 1977 North American Tour.

Extract about Quadrophonic Sound from Wikipedia.

Live concerts
    [​IMG]
    Azimuth Co-ordinator used by Pink Floyd, made by Bernard Speight (of Abbey Road Studios), 1969 (Victoria & Albert Museum, London)

In 1967 the rock group Pink Floyd performed the first-ever surround-sound rock concert at “Games for May”, a lavish affair at London’s Queen Elizabeth Hall, where the band debuted its custom-made quadraphonic speaker system.[22] The control device they had made, the Azimuth Co-ordinator, is now displayed at London's Victoria and Albert Museum, as part of their Theatre Collections gallery.[23]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  9. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

Any chance the Animals 5.1 package (whatever that will include) will be released before the end of 2021 or are we looking at 2022 or 2023 or beyond?

10. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

There's only two guys and their lawyers who can answer that and they aren't talking.

11. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

The third option has been the right one so far.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

AP cant even get thr DSOTM sacd out, they even had a a date announced for January 2020 that never happened. Bet we never get Animals, at least while david and roger are alive.

hiterss likes this.
  13. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Welcome back, my friends, to the wait that never ends...
    (With apologies to ELP)

jamesc, zinan, Demolition Man and 3 others like this.
  14. rontoon

Spot on! :righton:

15. apb

apb Game on!

If for no reason other than spite, Gilmour would put out a surround mix of Polly's provocative squats before he signs off on releasing a surround mix of Animals. The Knebworth 1990 standalone releases are a clear sign of that. "Hmmm Nick, what else have we got lying in the cupboard?"

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  16. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Animals was very much a Roger album; I think it anticipated The Wall. But David wasn't absent on the album so it seems like he might sign off on an improved version.

17. rontoon

That's simply not the case, unfortunately.

klockwerk and PDK like this.
  18. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Have a feeling it will be released this year!

19. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I have it. Had it for years. Taken from a quad 8-track

20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Made a point of seeking this out in London about a dozen years ago. Couldn't believe I was looking at it...or how endearingly homemade it looked. And I had it all to myself for ten minutes!

Right next to it was an original Royal Festival Hall poster for the Massed Gadgets show.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    zinan, mdm08033, Hattipper and 3 others like this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Quad 8 track, 8 track yes but quad, no.

marcb, pinktree1, klockwerk and 2 others like this.
  22. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Gotcha, haven't listened or thought about it for years. Kinda cool though.

23. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

Curious side-question: has this bust up over Animals/ RW not being allowed to advertise his tour on the Pink Floyd site/ general pensioner grumpiness had any notable impact on Nick Mason's friendship with Roger Waters?

They spent a few years doing stuff together for media appearances and whatnot, but apart from Waters' guest appearance at the Saucers gig, it seems to have cooled down a bit. I can see why there'd be less impetus for Waters to stay pals with Gilmour when their relationship has been minimal for a while, but I'm hoping Mason and Waters are at a point where they can separate work and friendship.

Hummus likes this.
  24. AFAIK Roger and Nick remain good friends, of course current circumstances make it difficult to meet up as Roger is based in US (Bridgehampton, New York State and also Manhattan) and Nick is in the UK (Middlewick House I expect) Nick's cars are here in the UK.

The Animals release dispute dates back to 2017/2018, there has been no discernable movement since then.

Note: Their main residence locations are general public knowledge.

25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

If you already have a finished Animals and The Wall 5.1 surround mix completed by PF's resident sound engineer, then the only possible contention in my view is marketing and products.

There isn't going to be an SACD release of any of these now I reckon, purely Blu-Ray - in big boxsets of some type - probably with garden chairs, inflatable pigs, bricks and marbles

The stupid answer would be an attempt they'd forgo a physical product and somehow get it working on a subscription streaming service.

They'll be all dead before these are released - and won't see any revenue for it once they are gone. Question is, will I outlive them to hear these - who knows.

Hummus likes this.