How much musical merit in hair metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mtvgeneration, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Correct. Alas some people live in denial....

ARK likes this.
  2. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Probably would have been useful if OP had provided a definition of hair metal. I don't include blues in hair metal. To me that's where you get hard rock. You wouldn't class Aerosmith as hair metal but GNR were closer in sound to Aerosmith than the bands of the day.

joy stinson and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  3. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I just have to laugh.....I am so glad Nirvana,Soundgarden, and AIC ended this mess.....

4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Excellent tune

Not Hair Metal but just good Rock Music !

5. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Great tune that. They were a good band, shame about Jani Lane. I remember Cherry Pie was a huge hit and I loved the song. The music video wouldn't fly today. :laugh:

mark_j and tinnox like this.
  6. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

There’s no such thing as hair metal

7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I picked up the reissue of Cherry Pie on red vinyl and imo SQ is excellent !

8. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

How about metal hair?

ARK and Curveboy like this.
  9. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

At least men in the music industry had the freedom to express themselves like that if they so desired and they weren't automatically assumed to be gay or transgender. You can trace that trend back to Bowie anyway. Not sure men have the same freedom nowadays. Could be me being a grumpy middle ager, but feels like that era was more progressive in some ways.

10. AlexDelarge

It's not just about that with Poison though. They were absolutely terrible. CC Deville has the worst intonation ever, guitar always sounded out of tune, especially his leads. (Unskinny Bop solo? Geesh)

11. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I'll take "hair metal" over "yacht rock" any day.

12. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

LOL! I saw Poison in concert very unwillingly as my mother wouldn't allow me to see GNR at that time on account of them being 'dangerous' (I still hold it against her). She said I could see Poison instead. They were ok. I mean, they had good tunes and some pyrotechnics and what not, so it was entertaining enough. But I never took them seriously although give them credit for great power ballads. They were certainly nowhere near as good as Motley Crue.

joy stinson and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Saying glam metal sucks because of Poison is like saying jazz sucks because of Kenny G.

kyouki, rebetis, jay.dee and 11 others like this.
  14. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

I really really really disliked Poison back in the day, but in the last few years hearing "Talk Dirty to Me" on the radio I don't think it is so bad. I think it would be better with a little re-arrangement, a different singer, and less cheesy production. I think the same goes for Motely Crue's "Nothing But a Good Time"
    However I thought then and still think that "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" is probably in the top ten worst #1 singles in the last 50 years.

15. AlexDelarge

I didn't say glam metal sucks....I said Poison sucks! (and they do)

16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Musical merit? Well try playing it, there is your answer.

17. AlexDelarge

You didn't miss anything not getting to see GNR. I did and they were terrible...the opener, Skid Row, wiped the stage with them....

18. Brewmeister

Poison is not heavy metal. Almost any 60's British Invasion band sounds heavier Poison.

19. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

LOVED Skid Row back in the day. But I've listened to them recently and I don't think they've aged well...personal taste I guess. Also Sebastian Bach is a pretty awesome dude. I'm still envious you got to see GNR though...despite the fact you didn't like them! I'm sure I would have!

20. AlexDelarge

I think the fact that GNR was a hour and a half late coming on stage pretty much pissed everybody off. They were ok, but following Skid Row and Bach was no easy chore...Slave to the Grind was heavy...

ARK likes this.
  21. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

In so far as Ratt may be considered hair metal, I liked them because the guitar tone was beefy, the riffs heavy and the production not as bright as a lot of 80's rock acts. To my ears many hair metal bands sounded light musically and scratchy sonically.

Talking of heavy, I really liked Love/Hate's "Let's Rumble" album. It was a shame for them that they walked out of the studio and found that grunge had changed the landscape.

JCM800 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. George the Cat

George the Cat Forum Resident

Depends, I get tired of all the sub-genres created.
    I have been told that Van Halen are hair metal, well I am fond of their first 5 LP’s so some of it has merit.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Revisionist history.
    I am not--nor have I ever been--a Poison fan. But to say they aren't a heavy metal band is just wrong.

ARK and carlwm like this.
  24. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Oh that's a great track. No question about it...got Motorhead vibes. No hair metal about it, not in the same room as GNR (but they were blues based) not even on the same planet as Poison. What an experience that would have been to see!

joy stinson and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Brewmeister

When I was in HS when Poison was around any of the people I knew who liked metal liked Black Sabbath, Dio, Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. Not Poison. Poison musically derives from the same blues based style of more standard rock. They don't user minor notes, or metal type themes in their lyrics. Their roots are drawn from Kiss and Cheap Trick, not heavy metal

Old Rusty and Buddybud like this.