Poll: still buying cds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve356

Steve356 Forum Resident

I've bought over 30 in the last month as I try to complete various collections. Most were used CDs, but also got a few new ones.

2. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Yes, I thrill when buying CDs. However, I have noticed a disturbing trend on Bandcamp that musicians offer either digital downloads or records, no cd. Shame:(

3. leni

leni Well-Known Member

For me cd and fm radio. Mostly classical.

4. mds

mds Forum Resident

I agree with @Front Row, it is very disappointing that sites like Bandcamp and Secretly Canadian seem to be eliminating the CD purchase option and either offer Vinyl or Download formats. I gave up vinyl a long time ago and do not want to spend money on a music file. If I am to spend money on music it needs to be physical media such as a CD.

5. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I do, mostly for convenience any more as I spend a lot of time listening in the car. Or, I buy a hirez download for home and make a cd for the car. I have a ton of vinyl poised for a new turntable when the bank account permits, but currently the CD is still king.

6. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I've bought over 300 this year. I had Covid earlier this year and ever since then it's like I'm afraid that I won't hear all the music I want to hear.

L.P., Steve356, Henry J and 1 other person like this.
  7. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Occasionally, especially if it's something I can't get any other way or if it's a special edition or something.

8. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

I love my jazz on CD.

9. Detroit Rock Citizen

RetroDawg Digital

My collector's page. It's not really a business.

10. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

So far, I've purchased over 100 new CDs this month alone. Not stopping any time soon either.

11. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

78s, 45s, LPs, CDs, even the occasional cassette tape - "always buying."

Front Row likes this.
  12. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Still, just re-bought some used, just ordered several. Will never go the streaming route. I'm into artists more than the casual listener who streams just whatever, so I prefer to buy their commercialized art in a way that will remunerate them more fairly. Plus I like to look at the artifact, though harder with my aging eyes.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  13. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've just recently finally gotten around to visiting there, to get the latest William Parker box; it's disappointing to hear that that's a trend.

Front Row likes this.
  14. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have purchased a dozen cd’s and a CD box set in the past month. Also have purchased a dozen albums on vinyl. My wife is cool with it too. Life is good!!! Music makes life great!!!

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Bought just one in the past 7 or 8 years. Sturgill Simpson's Sound & Fury. Bought two copies actually, ripped one to Flac and gave them both away as gifts. I love the album but got it ripped (for the car) and its on Spotify and Amazon music where I listen to it mostly.

This album has been my pandemic soundtrack. In fact other than in a computer I do not have a stand alone CD player any more. Wow...not really missed it.

16. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I've purchased more than a dozen in the past month and mostly from the for sale forum here.

Clonesteak likes this.
  17. Very few - I have so many, once and awhile find something that is a gap in my collection. So maybe 10-15 this year and don't see much more.

Most newer releases are so lousy brickwalled sounding and the packaging is terrible for many releases (paper sleeves with scratched CDs) - what am I getting for the $?

I am winding down money on music since I have such an large and enjoyable collection and spending it elsewhere.

18. I buy new and used compact disc. Funny I've been wanting the new AC-DC and all I see locally is the LP and it's pricy, No CD that I can find. I'll wait for the plastic disc.

19. D-Rex

D-Rex Senior Member

naturally. i buy everything that is not available on spotify and disappears from there. in fact, i've been buying a lot more records since i started streaming.

20. Raphael Maltais

Raphael Maltais Active Member

I love CDs and they are so cheap now. I will admit I find Vinyl more fun and prefer the sound of it, but it is very expensive and time-consuming. When I get tired of dealing with analog, I do enjoy the simplicity of CDs. My CD player cost me a fraction of my turntable and sometimes it comes close to outperform it.

I did try to get into streaming and got a Node 2 by Bluesound, it was quite pricey and you need to pay a monthly premium subscription. The sound wasn't bad but my good old Marantz cd player did sound better, and it is cheaper.

I unsubscribed from my premium streaming service, now I just stream with a cheap apple music free account that came in a bundle and if I like an album I buy the CDs or Vinyl and enjoy its full potential.

Warand Pain likes this.
  21. AstroFly

AstroFly Forum Resident

I’m only buying CDs at the moment. For jazz and classical I find that I like to listen to the entire albums. I’m heavy into jazz right now, so those CDs
    are most of my purchases. For other stuff like rock, I tend to like specific tracks more than the full album, so eventually I’ll rip those CDs to make eclectic “mixed tape” playlists for road trips, parties, and such. I also stream from channels when I’m working or otherwise distracted, and enjoy discovering new music that way. However, I can’t see myself ever giving up my silver discs. I enjoy physical media too much.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

At my age, I'm not adding to my collection of CDs anymore unless I get lucky at a thrift store. I don't mind paying a monthly fee to Spotify and Pandora to rent their music but I will NOT pay anything for a download. I prefer physical media. Pandora and Spotify have, for all intents and purposes, replaced buying anymore CDs or LPs (even cassettes). I've got enough of them already. ;) It's been awhile since I've played more than a couple CDs on any given day. I mostly stream now and equate it to listening to FM back in the day. I actually stream a few FM jazz stations from around the world as well. I'm also playing my records more than I used to since buying a 1210GR at the end of 2019 and moving my Technics SL-QL1 upstairs to the living room system (where I didn't have a turntable).

All the above said, for the kind of music I like best, CDs are the best format. I have no experience with the "loudness wars" people like to bitch about.

23. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Just got the Killing Joke 2 disc album, Pylon in the mail today. Oh the thrill of it all!

24. Detroit Rock Citizen

My Girlfriend read that and literally freaked. It's basically money I'm no longer spending on tobacco.

25. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Usually I buy CDs direct from musicians at gigs - hopefully that opportunity will return soon! Meantime, have 1000+ CDs and stream Qobuz and Spotify 320.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.