Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Since all these Garcia live (and probably studio) LP releases are being cut from hi res files I do wish they would also have a download option for the files themselves. I don't need every release on LP. It would be nice to have an option. Some of the releases have been made available for download. Time to make all of them.

2. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

It's listed as an "RSD First" release, implying that there will be a subsequent release. Possibly even high-res files, although I don't know how often the Garcia family has been doing that.

All of this...

I'm a little surprised that they got five LPs out of it, rather than three (a la Without a Net, for example). I haven't scoped out the potential side breaks, but I guess the length of the songs might make it hard to maximize the content on each LP side.

Daedalus and lucan_g like this.
  3. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

How they have it listed:

SIDE A: The Way You Do The Things You Do / Waiting for a Miracle
    SIDE B: Simple Twist of Fate / Get Out of My Life
    SIDE C: My Sisters and Brothers / I Shall Be Released
    SIDE D: Dear Prudence / Deal
    SIDE E : Stop That Train / Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)
    SIDE F: Evangeline / The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    SIDE G: Don’t Let Go
    SIDE H: That Lucky Old Sun
    SIDE I: Tangled Up in Blue

Perhaps an etching of some sort on side J...

SJR, frightwigwam, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was just thinking the same thing. It would
    Be hard for me to say enough good things about this album or what a big deal it was when it was released. At the time there was no Live JGB officially released, he didn’t tour it all that much and SBD boots didn’t circulate. I dare say most of these songs I heard for the first time on this album and they are all gold standard classics.

This is the one and only representation of the Jerry Garcia band that Jerry Garcia created and approved. The song selections, the performance and the production didn’t go to press without his say so.

If pressing 7,500 copies on lp and distributing them Through independent record stores on a specific day is bad for the industry, it’s worth it. I’m very excited to have a new way to hear this content.

I’ve probably told this before but I had a forest green 65 mustang fast back, I recorded the second disk of this album on a maxell XLII and I put it in the tape deck in October of 1993 just before going to see that JGB tour, I never took it out. It was still there when I sold it in 2004. I doubt there is a recording I’ve listened to more.

Jamcoy, frightwigwam, bzfgt and 7 others like this.
  5. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the original recording was multi-track? The CDs sound too good for a straight 2 channel recording!

US Blues likes this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Jerry Garcia Band: 30th Anniversary Edition Coming For Record Store Day - July 2021 - Jerry Garcia

I wonder if anyone has actually identified which show/song that iconic photo of Jerry is from.

bzfgt and Joe Spivey like this.
  7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    trd, frightwigwam, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

That's not surprising, but I was hoping to narrow it down a little more than that. :D

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Beard looks like an 86 model

[​IMG]

trd, johnnypaddock and sami like this.
  10. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Ken Friedman is credited with taking the photo. Drop him a line and see if he remembers.

frightwigwam and uzn007 like this.
  11. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

JGB didn’t play the Warfield in 1986.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s just a bunch of perfect album sides. I can use some time to myself after that lucky old sun. I should be able to get my head together while flipping the lp.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Mad Dog, Joe Spivey and Spazros like this.
  13. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

14. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I have no interest in vinyl, but I'm happy for those who do. I'll join the chorus that thinks of this as one of the key Jerry releases, for all the reasons people have already said. It is such a great set of music; for me it was literally revelatory when I first got it.

I've said this before: given the economics of the music world, I'm convinced that the whole limited-edition scheme (with or without RSD) is responsible for a lot of releases that would otherwise never have seen the light of day. Companies have no interest in holding on to unsold inventory. Limited edition gives them a pretty good guarantee of a specific number of sales.

trd, Dennis0675 and uzn007 like this.
  15. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I sent Friedman an email.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

87 is likely a better guess. I think Jerry crashed in April of 86 and was doing acoustic shows in January. That’s a tight window for JGB at the warfield. His rerun to the stage may have been JGB at the warfield later that year if memory serves.

17. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This Senor is nothing short of miraculous.

As is Prudence...

WaterLemon, trd, SJR and 4 others like this.
  20. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Right you are. Lucky Old Sun is peak mind wandering with Jerry's beautify vocals. Gotta give yourself some time to remember where you're at after this one.

SJR, adamos, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  21. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Ken Friedman responded.

The photo was taken during Jerry’s run on Broadway at the Lunt-Fontaine Theatre. The date was December 30, 1987.

ianuaditis, budwhite, Spazros and 6 others like this.
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Thanks, but I really wanted to know whether it was during "Deal," and whether it was spellbinding. :D

(j/k no need to ask him again)

Also, I'm guessing that was October 30?

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Hers the photo. that hangs at the Warfield. Odd they wouldn’t chose a pic from one of his performances there.

trd, SJR, adamos and 3 others like this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Well it is an iconic shot of Jerry, although I've always thought that he looks a little slouchy. But I guess for late-era Jerry, you take what you can get. Jerry and his management obviously like it, since they've used it a lot.

budwhite, trd and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  25. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Yes. He sent me the wrong date.

sami, US Blues and Dennis0675 like this.