' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

There is Aguirre the Wrath of God in there......

2. Godzilla and many Kaiju films border on Theater of the Absurd. And I truly mean that as a compliment.

Pete Puma and Bruce Racket like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wandered into the local anime/comic book/gaming shop today and even the owner-geek said it was ridiculous! This from a guy with a picture of Guillermo Del Toro hanging in his shop! Lol.

SandAndGlass, Vidiot and neo123 like this.
  4. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I have. Long ago just before the Godzilla movie came out, and I felt primed. It was an excellent precursor to this entire series. I still love the first entry best. I think I might go acquire monsters on vudu for five bucks.... Thanks for the push since I was already thinking about it!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    The Hud likes this.
  5. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

It is what it is. I saw it. Two hours of mindless entertainment. Plot holes and all.

Don't watch it if you haven't seen the movie.

6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Mindless and ridiculous. I enjoyed it.

Pete Puma and Shawn like this.
  7. Outside of the fist Godzilla film, which ones aren’t ridiculous?

The Hud, schugh and Bruce Racket like this.
  8. crickets...

Bruce Racket and Shawn like this.
  9. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Part of the beauty of Godzilla.

Shawn likes this.
  10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Finally had a chance to watch it, and I absolutely loved it, have to get the blu-ray!

Bossyman likes this.
  11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Actually those two were buddies until Godzilla slipped on a banana peel that Kong had thrown down[he was always doing that]well after a face to face argument about banana peels Kong told Godzilla to scram and Godzilla told Kong that he would burn down all the banana trees and Kong took a swing at him, well it was on after that!

Madness likes this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Knowing you as I do , maccafan , I would have thought any movie you'd love would have to have a McCartney score.
    I kid !

13. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I saw the movie Saturday evening.

I liked it. Great effects, decent story line, great fight scenes. Not a great movie, but good.

It’s hard to classify the Godzilla movies as great, since the primary goal is to set up a great fight. The story line is there to bring about a great fight. The acting is secondary to the action.

I have to say those last fight scenes as the monsters demolished Tokyo was about the best special effects in a Godzilla movie I’ve scene.
    And having King communicate with that little girl was a nice touch.

So, comparing it to other Godzilla movies I’d give it a good to great. One issue, It took a long time to set up the fight scenes.

Recommend for all Godzilla lovers.

14. To keep everything in perspective, here’s a clip from a previous Godzilla film:

15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

3 fights between G and K. G took 2 but K was told G wasn’t the enemy and shouldn’t kick his butt. And K saved G. So who’s really the winner here?

ego1jr likes this.
  16. inperson

inperson Senior Member

That 20 seconds was more enjoyable than the entire 2 hours of Godzilla vs Kong.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They cheated in this film by suddenly making King King a lot taller than he normally is, so he was roughly the same height as Godzilla. And let's not forget that Godzilla has "radioactive breath" and could kill King Kong from a distance of about 2 blocks away -- that's not really handled well in the film. To me, the addition of MechaGodzilla into the film takes it from just being "mindlessly stupid" to "beyond mindlessly stupid and horrible."

inperson, SandAndGlass and Scott222C like this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

In all fairness though, wasn't that also the case with the original film?

At least with these new monster films, Kong was Godzilla sized in "Kong/Skull Island"-They didn't have him start out as 1933 sized Kong and get radiated or something to make him Godzilla size for the new fight film.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My problem with the film was they just piled so many clichés into it. Was I watching a Godzilla movie? King Kong? Jurassic Park? Star Wars? Pacific rim? The hardy boy rescue Led by a girl they cast because she Won the Carrie Fisher look-alike contest at comicon?It was like a surrealistic haze of stock action film characters. I hadn’t been overwhelmed by so many B-movie threads at once since But aforementioned pacific rim. cliche overload.

As a supreme commander of the United States Air Force here is my advice to all pilots: “try to keep from getting kamikaze close to the Godzilla OK? “

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    JediJones, Vidiot and Scott222C like this.
  20. vertical

vertical Forum Resident

I enjoyed it. Not "great!" Yet good entertainment.
    I must add though that I had seen the 50s - 60s monster movies. Plus, I went with my twenty something daughters and they liked it as well. I know they weren't humoring me since we've seen most of the Marvel / DC movies and they were quite critical of some. So, the above probably added to my experience.
    ;)

21. You must not have seen Terror of MechaGodzilla (from 1975) where MechaGodzilla is controlled by a character called Katsura. Likewise, Millie Bobby Brown was also in Godzilla: King of Monsters and was not cast as some Carrie Fisher look-alike. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Oatsdad likes this.
  22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

In the original KKvG, Kong was already the same size as Godzilla because it's supposed to be a different Kong that exists in a separate continuity (i.e. it's not meant to be the 1933 Kong).

Kong wasn't already Godzilla-sized in Skull Island -- considerably smaller, actually. If i recall, a character mentions that he's still relatively young and is still growing, so I guess that's the explanation for why he's so much bigger in the new film.

23. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Your correct. In the original KK vs GZ, Kong was mega sized. The original KK movie has him about the size of a TRex; prob 35 feet tall. He fit in a theater. Can u imagine subduing Godzilla as such....,.

And your also correct about the radioactive breath. If it can melt tanks as seen in various movies what chance does a hairy ape have. He’s a fire ball at the ready.

To be fair to Kong, he should be much smarter than Godzilla. A mammal’s super large brain vs a giant Reptile (?) brain. Apes have the opposable thumb and are known to use tools. So Kong just might pick up some of the debris laying around ( there’s a lot if that available) and throw it at Godzilla. That would have quit the impact.

I don’t think it would save him, but it’s a movie.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. moops

moops Senior Member

Having not yet seen the movie, I have no idea ...... but it made me laugh for some reason.

25. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Count me as a fan of the original. That would’ve
    been a great film to see with the family, but I’d
    guess most fathers wouldn’t be hip to that ...
    there remained here in The States a healthy
    anger towards The Japanese in’63.

This one takes a serious mood, I like the original
    because it does not. LOTS of little gags: the radio,
    the cigarettes – the biggest laugh comes when we
    see Kong for the first time – WOW! Worst monkey
    suit ever! Epic in every way.