Subwoofer Crossover set to AV?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vaughan, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Thanks, thought so
    That is why I suggested 50 Hz or even off, no filter in AVR (let speakers get full range) and adjust with sub controls.

McLover likes this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

A question though - ultimately, aren't you achieving the same thing? I mean, a blend of the speaker output and the sub, with the benefit of getting lower frequencies from the sub? Also, isn't part of the benefit of using a Sub taking some of the load off your speakers, so they can sound better on the frequencies they do receive?

3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes you can operate mains, center, and surrounds without high pass filtering but you want to control sub functions from your AVR, meaning volume level. Just set gain control on sub to mid point and then adjust sub volume level from AVR.

4. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes, the objective is managing bass for the desired result. The key is how low do the mains go? If they do not get into the 50 to 40 Hz arena then they would be treated as SMALL speakers and the subwoofer would need a higher low pass, maybe 100 Hz for a blend which does not seem to pump from vacant frequency if the sub were set at lets say 60 Hz. Thing is with small mains the sub is more heavily taxed to produce higher frequency bass than its design nay accomodate. Also, when the sub produces higher frequency bass the bass it produces may be more directional. The whole bass management concept is cause for a headache, since some of the management could be controlled by either the AVR or the sub. I have a passive sub, essentially a driver in a box, so I manage bass entirely via my 2.1 preamp for my stereo system and from my OPPO for my 5.1 music and movie system; yet, it's still complicated enough to cause me to wonder if I am getting the best results.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  5. Vaughan

Trust me, I know your pain. I bought my sub, played around with it for a time, and then gave up and stored it on the closet for months! The only reason I took it out now is because I bought new speakers, and wanted to try again. However, I honestly sometimes feel like giving up again. It's so damn frustrating at times.

Still, I have tried various settings. Honestly, turning the sub to AV, and setting the AV at 80, works best for me. At least right now. I plugged the ports on the speakers with the foam bungs (something I wouldn't ordinarily do). It sounds natural, and the bass is actually great. But then I get an urge to mess with it, and I get frustrated all over again. Good thing I don't have multiple subs!!

6. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What has caused a conundrum in my brain is I do not know what channels, other than .1 channel and mains in 5.1 multi-channel appllications have low bass content. I assume not much or any since low bass is non-directional and thus can be mastered to front channels, whereby low pass filter will siphon off to the sub. In other words, it likely does not matter that the sub be balanced to any speakers but mains. Also, I wonder, why .1 need, since any sub management, whether it's via the sub or Pre-Pro will low pass front channels to the sub, so the .1 seems more at home in movie applications rather than music, although, if I put my mind to it, I might be able to see the need or usefulness of .1 in a music application.

7. Vaughan

The need for a sub is a debate to be had, but it's all a bit..... technical. In theory, the sub will go lower than the mains. That said, it's not as though a decent set of mains aren't designed with great listening in mind. In other words - saying you "need" a sub is probably pushing it. I was sold by the concept that if I push the lower frequencies to a sub, then some of the load is taken off the main speakers, and they'll be better in the mids and highs. I'm not sure I can make that claim at the moment though.

The biggest problem I ran into was obtuse articles, and completely useless manuals. When it comes to bass management, product (AVR's and the sub itself) catalogs and manuals have proven useless in my case. I can well understand the principles, but confusing menu's, and undocumented settings just confuse. I need things simple. I'm a simple man. I have this working now to my liking for the moment, but I must say, I'm not getting anything that's what I'd call "night and day" different. I'm talking for music here, especially two-channel. For movies a sub makes a huge difference, but that's simply not my use case.

Sterling1 likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Sub must shut up unless there is Sub bass energy present. Midrange test must be passed for music without coloration.

Sterling1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.