Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It's an "RSD First" release.

2. Rimshottbob

Rimshottbob Forum Resident

Aha! It seems, in my excitement, I missed a crucial bit of info. It shall be mine! It Shall .... Be Mine!
    Thanks for pointing that out.:wiggle::doh::thumbsup:

ad180 likes this.
  3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I am figuring if they do reissue CB on cd that it will include Truth, but they want to promote the fact that it is getting it’s vinyl debut for RSD.

4. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I meant, "Would it be part of the vinyl CB?" Sorry. Should have specified.

5. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Normally, I'm not a fan of RSD. But this year, there are a few things I actually want: Prince's The Truth, Tom Petty's Angel Dreams, Me'Shell Ndegeocello's Peace Beyond Passion, and the Tomb Raider Soundtrack.

So, I guess I'll be standing in very long, socially-distanced lines for several hours, so I can pick them up.

At least this RSD is during the summer. So, since I'm a teacher, I won't have to take a day off work. But I live in Houston, so the heat index will easily be in the 100's, with brutal humidity.

I really hope life will go back to some semblance of normalcy sometime soon.

Hep Alien, CBackley and joeislive like this.
  6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Well if they are doing it as a RSD First release it could be possible that will be the only way to get it on vinyl as a standalone release. Hopefully in the next few days we hear some more news

7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Rebranded as R$D

8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Maybe so. But I plan on buying the CB set on vinyl, anyway. So, if The Truth is part of that, why buy it twice?

But yeah, maybe we'll get more details soon.

CBackley likes this.
  9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I’m just looking at it from typical greedy record company logic :D

10. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

If CB is going to be reissued in the next 12 months I'd say The Truth probably won't be in that - or at the very least without its own custom artwork. There will still remain some minor R$D exclusive content, musical or otherwise

CBackley likes this.
  11. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I would imagine that CB/The Truth/Kamasutra will be split up into separate releases for non-RSD vinyl and CD release. I can see the gold embossing as being exclusive to the RSD version of The Truth though.

Nathan Aaron and CBackley like this.
  12. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

This is all uninformed speculation to which no one here has a worthwhile answer, but the fact is The Truth was packaged with Crystal Ball but not part of the album titled Crystal Ball. Draw what conclusions you will.

Michael Macrone and CBackley like this.
  13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I don’t think The Truth will be packaged with Crystal Ball. And the fancy packaging on the RSD release is probably what makes it a “first” — later pressings might just be plain non-gatefold.

Kamasutra? They can fling that crap into the sun.

Michael Macrone and Groovy like this.
  14. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

I think there will be

15. djej

djej Forum Resident

16. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I think if Sony does release CB on vinyl, they're likely to keep The Truth (and Kamasutra if they release that) separate - same as they did with the one nite alone... set, where on vinyl the after show was sold separately even though it was included on the original one nite alone...live release.

17. tonysp

tonysp Forum Resident

Regarding the RSD being a first press. I honestly can not see a massive demand for further presses after the initial 13,000 copies are sold.
    These days 13,000 isn't really limited.

18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  19. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo Thread Starter

Recorded in the spring of 2010 and then mysteriously archived by Prince before its release, the statement album Welcome 2 America documents Prince’s concerns, hopes, and visions for a shifting society, presciently foreshadowing an era of political division, disinformation, and a renewed fight for racial justice. The album features some of Prince’s only studio collaborations with the bassist Tal Wilkenfeld, drummer Chris Coleman, and engineer Jason Agel, with additional contributions from New Power Generation singers Shelby J, Liv Warfield, and Elisa Fiorillo and keyboardist Morris Hayes, who Prince also recruited to co-produce the album.

The Deluxe Edition of Welcome 2 America combines the 2LP and CD versions of the album with a never before released Blu-Ray of Prince’s full April 28, 2011 performance at the Forum, part of the Welcome 2 America Tour’s historic 21 Nite Stand in Los Angeles. The show is presented in stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, and includes 24 tracks from across Prince’s career, from his biggest hits to fan favorites to ten rare covers. In addition, the deluxe edition features a 32 page 12x12 book, exclusive poster and an embossed vellum envelope of limited edition memorabilia all housed in a luxe, gold embossed package. Experienced as a complete package, the Deluxe Edition provides an immersive view of Prince’s creative genius during his spontaneous, energetic, and thought-provoking Welcome 2 America era.

Release date July 30th, 2021

Tracklist

CD
    1. Welcome 2 America
    2. Running Game (Son Of A Slave Master)
    3. Born 2 Die
    4. 1000 Light Years From Here
    5. Hot Summer
    6. Stand Up And B Strong
    7. Check The Record
    8. Same Page, Different Book
    9. When She Comes
    10. 1010 (Rin Tin Tin)
    11. Yes
    12. One Day We Will All B Free

LP 1

Side A
    1. Welcome 2 America
    2. Running Game (Son Of A Slave Master)
    3. Born 2 Die
    4. 1000 Light Years From Here
    Side B
    1. Hot Summer
    2. Stand Up And B Strong
    3. Check The Record
    4. Same Page, Different Book
    LP 2

Side C
    1. When She Comes
    2. 1010 (Rin Tin Tin)
    3. Yes
    4. One Day We Will All B Free
    Side D

Etching​

Blu-Ray
    1. Joy In Repitition
    2. Brown Skin (India.Arie cover)
    3. 17 Days
    4. Shhh
    5. Controversy
    6. Theme From “Which Way Is Up” (Stargard cover)
    7. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Janet Jackson cover)
    8. Partyman
    9. It’s Alright (Graham Central Station cover)
    10. Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan cover)
    11. Misty Blue (Eddy Arnold cover)
    12. Let’s Go Crazy
    13. Delirious
    14. 1999
    15. Little Red Corvette
    16. Purple Rain
    17. The Bird (The Time cover/Prince comp)
    18. Jungle Love (The Time cover/Prince comp)
    19. A Love Bizarre (Sheila E cover/Prince comp
    20. Kiss
    21. Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry cover)
    22. Hollywood Swingin’ (Kool & the Gang cover)
    23. Fantastic Voyage (Lakeside cover)
    24. More Than This (Roxy Music cover)

20. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

EDIT: Oops...I see there's a separate thread by now.

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Wow-For the BluRay Concert(with 5.1 and Dolby Atmos!), some Awesome Cover Songs from Kool & the Gang and Lakeside. Although, for Roxy Music, wish he would have covered a Song from their first few Albums like ‘The Bogus Man’:agree:. Can’t wait to watch and hear the Entire April 28, 2011 Concert, and hear the ‘Welcome 2 America’ Album, although hoping for an eventual separate BluRay Release, but I already overpaid for 3 of the 1999 Hoodies(Very High Quality Logo) from the Prince Webstore, so might not wait, as a separate BluRay release might not happen. Prince, David Bowie and Miles Davis have gotten most of my money during the Covid Pandemic.

mr. faded glory likes this.
  22. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

No standalone blu or bundle with just the cd? Mega lame and bs imo.

joeislive likes this.
  23. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I wonder how many of the covers are full songs or just short little snippets before an extended jam?

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi likes this.
  24. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Usually, when he does a string of old songs together - like the run from "Let's Go Crazy" through "Kiss" here - it's a medley, and each "song" is about 1-1 1/2 minutes. I'd love to see him perform most of these as full-length versions. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

joeislive likes this.
  25. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I see that the standalone 2-LP set is $29.98. And the standalone CD is $11.98. But the 2-LP, 1-CD, 1-Blu-ray set is $99.98.

So, that makes the Blu-Ray about $58. That must be a hell of a show. All the same, I think I'll pass on the super deluxe. For that price, I could have actually bought a ticket to the show itself.

But I'll definitely get the CD for $12. And possibly the vinyl for $30. Both are totally reasonable.

Hep Alien likes this.