How much musical merit in hair metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mtvgeneration, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I never had an issue with Glam Metal as a term...

2. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

I found that in an article from February 1992 in SPIN magazine, Warrant are referred to as "hair-farmers"

Zeki likes this.
  3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Like any genre, some bands were the "real deal" and some not so much. Cinderella was the real deal.

4. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

cliche putdown of melodic rock fans

next?

5. Luke The Drifter

I don't like that association either, but:

[​IMG]

If the definition of hair metal is a hard rock band from the 80s with long, teased hair and spandex then they qualify (as does Motley Crue). They are just really good bands with that image.

I understand that many might think of true hair metal bands as more than that short definition.

ARK and Zeki like this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

By your definition, you can remove Cinderella from that list.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

Why is that? Admittedly other than the very glammy MTV videos of them that were popular back in the day haven't heard much of their catalogue. Those vids were enough to turn me right off.

When "Nobody's Fool" was being played alongside other hair bands on Headbanger's Ball I didn't see much difference. And the way the singer was trying to ape David Coverdale was just nauseating.

8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

While most hair metal songs are about cars, girls & booze, Dokken's songs we mostly about having your heart broken. Somebody obviously really hurt Don early on and it showed. "Alone Again', "Just Got Lucky", "In My Dreams", 'Heaven Sent" etc etc are all about having your heart ripped out. It was refreshing.

9. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Well, right away, you kinda dont know what you're talking about.

Alice Cooper's 1980s music is Hard Rock schlock. Absolutely "Hair Metal" styled music. Alice's great music was done in the 1960s and 70s and most of it with the original band where all members wrote. GnR were great, yep. but no TOO FAST FOR LOVE, hell, in fact, no Motley: No GnR.

That you put Motley beside Trixter and Winger? These are not accurate comparisons.
    Motley are a different creature than those Hair Metal-only second rate bands.

10. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Very Little.

11. Luke The Drifter

Worth your time to check them out, and the catalog is small.

12. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

yeah I enjoy it, for example Harem Scarem and Hardline were part of that scene, and to this day they still release good material.
    in fact I dug deeper into it and discovered lesser known bands that I enjoyed like Treat, Bonfire, Stage Dolls, Tyketto, China, Danger Danger, Baton Rouge, Heaven's Edge, Dirty Rhythm etc

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  13. progmanjum

progmanjum Forum Resident

The opening drums to Red Hot...Good God. And this is why I don't think Dokken belongs...Lightning Strikes Again...When Heaven Comes Down...Nothing hair metal about those except that they did have hair.

Matthew Tate and koondoggy like this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

My favorite Cinderella song is the Pat's Chili Dogs theme

15. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Out go the lights, in goes my knife
    Pulls out his life
    Consider that Bastard dead
    Get on your knees, please beg me please
    The king of Sleaze
    But don't try to rape me

Bastard . . . consider that Bastard dead
    Make it quick, blow off his head

I got your neck in the noose
    Got nothing to lose
    Really gonna **** you
    Consider that Bastard dead
    Quick as a shark, the Beast has it mark
    Can't beat the dark . . . but don't try to Rape me!

- not Hair Metal.

koondoggy likes this.
  16. No! Poison doesn't suck. You dislike them. You don't typically get four platinum and three gold albums if you suck!

carlwm likes this.
  17. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Not really topic related but somewhat. 3 years ago our youngest daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. We were devastated and in fear for her life. Once we finally got home from the hospital I got curious and looked up famous people with T1D to see how they manage to live with diabetes. One of them is Bret Michaels, singer for Poison. I saw an old article where we was accused of shooting up drugs in concert, slightly off stage. That's when he had to go public that he was a Type 1 Diabetic and was simply getting insulin for high blood sugar.

Not particularly a fan of Poison but they do have some songs I like. Back when they first came out I told some of my friends they would be one of the first bands of the era to hit the bargain bins and be forgotten in 5 years. How wrong I was. They are still around touring today (pre-covid) with all members.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    ARK, 1983, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  18. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Dude, they suck. Doesn't matter how many records they sold. McDonald's has sold ten billion burgers, but they still suck. That period of time a lot of people (kids and teens) embraced the suck.

koondoggy and faceinthecrowd like this.
  19. No, they don't. Go troll somewhere else.

20. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

Agreed. Ratt, Motley, WASP, Quiet Riot, Dokken--- these were leaders of the revolutionary LA metal wave that exploded on the scene in the early '80s. Can't even compare them to the image over substance dime-a-dozen clones who all sounded and looked the same, bands that became familiar more towards the late '80's who were featured in regular rotation on MTV into the early 90's.

It's like all MTV could think to play were these pop-metal image bands when there were tons of sub-genre metal acts in the thrash and speed metal scene that couldn't even sniff MTV because they didn't have the 'correct' look and style. Eventually the whole thing had to implode and it did, mercifully.

AlexDelarge and Boswell like this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't think most hair metal has much musical merit, since you asked. Obviously there is the odd exception. However I'm not sure how much this matters. Hair metal always seemed to me to be more about the image than the music.

22. AlexDelarge

Not trolling , just stating my opinion based on experience. I lived that time and it was very apparent they were a no talent band. Here ya go...

Dude is a wanker...look at his lame pictures of himself around the stage. Embarrassing...

1983 likes this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Not good either...Crue will always be a 'C' level metal band for me.

carlwm and AlexDelarge like this.
  24. I do agree with you about all the pictures the around the stage. That is pretty cheesy and embarrassing. LOL!

MikeInFla likes this.
  25. AlexDelarge

Lol...we can agree to disagree. No hard feelings man. I just have always had a really hard time with that band. I'll stop ragging them now everybody. Carry on!

faceinthecrowd and gitters like this.