Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"The Complete Pacific Jazz Live Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman" disc 3
    [​IMG]

Irish51, jay.dee, Bradd and 9 others like this.
  2. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Bill Mobley - Live at Small's, Vol. 1
    [​IMG]

Bill Mobley - Live at Small's, Vol. 2
    [​IMG]

Great material delivered by a super solid band plus a slew of notable guests make these releases a joyful listen.

3. snowwhat

snowwhat Forum Resident

It’s nice that some of these will be available again, but as someone who bought the ones I wanted as they came out (and for 1200 yen each vs the new price of 980) this is disappointing.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  4. bresna

bresna Senior Member

But how is it mastered? :)

5. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Lee Konitz Meets Jimmy Giuffre #1

[​IMG]

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Coleman Hawkins was THE master. No need to worry about anything else.

The recording industry seriously missed out over the last century by not recording conversations with creative artists, hardly at all.

Here and there, there are snippets. But, in those rare occasions they are generally not conversational voices.

The spoken voices of creative artists, their voices alone, reveal much about the person, as they do for all of us.

I have been lucky to have conversations with many of these people. I must admit that I sometimes get caught up in the sound of their voice alone and the musical quality and emotional expression of that voice, completely independent of the words and sentences. I can still hear and comprehend the words, but my mind is on the voice as a musical expression.

The unique aural qualities of a person's voice evoke much stronger memories and connections than any visual image.

7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

George Russell - The Jazz Workshop (Koch Jazz KOC-CD-7850)

Simply a great album played by a great band.

[​IMG]

8. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I picked up that Nat Adderley's album when I was thirteen years old. I still remember the seller in Savona who died so many years ago and also my loved father that had broght me in the record shop.
    Unfortunately it ended up decaying. I have seen that it is findable on cd together with the album Sayin' Somethin.

Great lineup and Joe Henderson absolutely superb.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  9. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Don’t sleep on the America label, another French label that recorded those musicians at that time. Streams on Qobuz I believe.

10. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Straight ahead. Don't worry. :cop:

ILovethebassclarinet and Bradd like this.
  11. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

The day before yesterday was the fiftieth anniversary of Igor Stravinsky's death. He died in New York City and was buried in his beloved Venice.

[​IMG]

I am listening this cd featuring The Firebird one of his finest compositions imho of all the Twentieth Century:

[​IMG]

12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

There is the Cecil Taylor album on Leo Records with 60 minutes of Cecil reading poetry, Chinampas.

Cecil Taylor – Chinampas (1987, CD)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Igor Stravinsky's funeral in Venice:

[​IMG]

Leonard Bernstein at the tomb of Stravinsky:
    [​IMG]

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Freddie Redd Quintet - Shades Of Redd (Blue Note) Toshiba 24bit RVG Remaster, facsimile lp cover
    This one seems popular but it is never really moved me though I try. I owned a copy decades ago but traded it in at a point and then about ten years ago I repurchased it. There might be hope for me yet.

fingerpoppin, Berthold, SJR and 4 others like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Ah, but you should have heard Cecil Taylor in conversational voice! It was very much an other worldly experience.

The sound of his voice in conversation was as distinctive as his piano. Even his facial expressions as he shaped his words were like a modern dance. He moved his head and body about too, which only added to the experience.

Then, if you considered the words that he chose, it was truly something.

16. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I remember seeing a documentary with footage of Cecil in his appartment. Would love to see/hear more.

17. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Pollini playing Schubert's piano sonata D960.

18. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

NP; Art Farmer - Sing Me Softly of the Blues

[​IMG]

Art Farmer - flugelhorn
    Steve Kuhn - piano
    Steve Swallow - bass
    Pete La Roca - drums

19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

So, how was the Master mastered? :p

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  20. Verve V6-8689 - Bola Sete at the Monterey Jazz Festival - rec. 1966 - Engineer: Val Valentin
    Featuring
    Bola Sete (g) / Sebastian Neto (b) / Paulinho (dr)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Roman Blue

Roman Blue Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The version of Stella by Starlight on the live is one of my favourite as well as the Album cover.

22. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Recorded at Contemporary's studio in Los Angeles on November 26, 1956.
    • Art Pepper – alto saxophone
    • Warne Marsh – tenor saxophone
    • Ronnie Ball – piano
    • Ben Tucker – bass
    • Gary Frommer – drums
    Contemporary CD

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

In my little Moncur III listening binge I've been on I've been listening too to Evolution and Some Other Stuff. I like 'em -- especially Some Other Stuff, where I think Hancock and Shorter really bring a lot to the date. They're really interesting collections comfortably crossing the boarders between hard bop and modal jazz. New Africa kind of crosses the free/modal but more the spiritual jazz kind of modal stuff not the Miles/Shorter modal bag. I hadn't heard that one before this morning but I really enjoyed it and really loved the space in it and whats Burrell and Roscoe Mitchell bring to the table on it. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

jay.dee, Sorcerer, lschwart and 3 others like this.
  24. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

I’ve listened to this quite a bit over the last week. There are six songs from a session at the Jazz Standard that are bookended by two songs recorded in the studio featuring Iggy Pop, Why Can’t We Live Together and Sunshine Superman. Iggy’s voice is understated and who knew he could be so good in a jazz setting.

Here’s an interview of Iggy by Don Was that’s worth watching.

Highlights of the Jazz Standard songs include Bright Eyes, Too Damn Hot and World Weeps. A song I particularly liked was Pilgrimage, almost semi gospel like featuring Alicia Olatuja. I’m very impressed with her voice.

He’s accompanied by his regular combo of Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar and Jonathan Blake on drums. The Jazz Standard songs include other musicians.

My only negative of this cd is the terrible packaging; very flimsy.

25. Glad of the positive reviews of Japanese Enja CDs. I'll scan the list of 100.
    In addition to Shepp, Galper, Hawkins, and favorites?

Wow @Robitjazz - that was a sophisticated purchase for a 13 year old. Nice!

Robitjazz likes this.