The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

The issue with the 1500C isn't quality. ..It's that it's kinda a weird duck. ..It comes with a cartridge, and a built in pre-amp. ..I think both are excellent, but it's not very audiophile-esque to include those. ...And I think some of the sale are cannibalized by the 1210GR which is fairly close in price.

But the 1500 is very well made for a TT of it's price.

Oelewapper likes this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Ah I didn’t get that the last part of this was about the 1500C:
    My bad, I was thinking of the 1200s :p

I think the bad sales of the 1500C has more to do with the table itself than where it’s made (outside the pricerange of most people who are interested in built in preamps and preinstalled cartridges) but that remains something one can only speculate about.

3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

A couple of points regarding Technics and longevity:

1) It's clear the mk2 is a very well built well engineered robust device - those things even when beaten up in the DJ world are still ticking and playing very well!

2) I have no reason not to believe Technics is at minimum following a certain standard for robustness (if not exceeding it) with the new technics generation tables

3) One could argue that the advancements in technology that technics has employed in the current generation of tables are making a much more efficient machine, and as a result, most likely will lead to even more long term life and usability due to that increased efficiency.

displayname and MikeJedi like this.
  4. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Please don’t think I’m badmouthing the new products, far from it I love mine. This is just something that has crossed my mind.

There seems to be a general assumption that because the Mk2s keep going forever that these will too. In reality they’re completely different machines and should be considered as such in my opinion.

recstar24 likes this.
  5. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

UPDATE: The rumor is true. OvertureAV just confirmed that production of Technics turntables in Japan has ended. From now on, they will come from Malaysia.

Big mistake! Made in Malaysia 1200's don't sell, won't sell, and within 3 years, Technics will be back out of the turntable market — this time, for good.

6. Hardcore

Wow. I was recently watching a video on their new integrated amp, I think the guy said it was 8000 Euro and I noticed that was made in Malaysia.

Im not sure people will continue to pay the luxury prices, but who knows.

Big Blue and Joel S like this.
  7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

No need to apologize; I think it’s a valid concern, but the SMD parts would be one of the lowest concerns.
    I would rather be concerned with the serviceability of the motor assembly, which has sensors in an airtight enclosure (implicating you would probably require a clean room environment, similar to servicing hard drives).
    Or the self lubricating bearings, which require 0 maintenance for a very long time, but once it starts to have issues, you can’t just add some oil.
    It requires replacing some porous material part which contains the lubricant - assuming the assembly can be opened properly.
    Generally those assemblies are not made to be serviced, but made to last very long and then to replace the whole assembly in one go.
    Since it’s a proprietary motor design, it could become hard to obtain.

Meh plenty people buy Chinese crap like Apple and think it’s quality.
    I doubt it would be any different for audio products.

Some audio products made in countries with “a bad reputation” are actually quite good.
    @patient_ot mentioned two good examples further up this thread: Hegel and Parasound.

displayname, patient_ot and Hardcore like this.
  8. Hardcore

Not sure if this has already been posted but is seemingly accurate.

Greetings Technics Dealers,

I’d like to express our appreciation for your strong support and contribution to the continuing sales of Technics products.

This notice is to inform you that Panasonic has decided to relocate the production of Technics products currently manufactured in Utsunomiya, Japan, to our Malaysia production facilities effective April 1, 2021. This move will strengthen our logistics management by concentrating all our production resources to one facility while strengthening our competitive edge. The models involved are as follows: SL-1200GR/SL-1210GR/SL-1200G/SP-10R/SL-1000R

This change will enhance our Technics production and engineering. This process incorporates the most up-to-date technology standards and state-of-the-art mechanical manufacturing, which will ensure that the renowned Technics attention to detail will remain unchanged resulting in product quality that satisfies our most discriminating critics. As you may recall, our Malaysia factory has been manufacturing other fine products like the SC-C70MK2/SC-C30/SC-C50/SL-1200MK7/SL-1500C/SU-G700/SL-G700 and the new SU-R1000.

While we have paid due diligence to deliver as much product as possible from the Utsunomiya factory, the earliest arrivals from the new Malaysia factory will likely be end of May to mid-June. Please bear with us through the transition. The sales team will continue to provide details on your existing order fulfillment as they are informed.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That appears to be a cut and paste from the USA Tube whatever site.

Even if it is true, I think some folks are way too caught up in what Panasonic factory these things are made in, rather than the actual quality of the product.

Big Blue, csgreene and ODS123 like this.
  10. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

They convinced themselves, but they forgot to convince us. They're dreaming if they think the 1500C has the same attention to detail as the GR/G. This is all about cheap labor to line their pockets with more money. In the end, the customer is always right and Technics will leave the turntable market for good within 3 years, IMO. I'm already checking out Rega or Marantz for my next TT.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

To be clear, I have no real opinion on the quality of those brands, just pointing out that they do serve the upper-mid/high-end audio market and appear to be fairly popular in that market. No one seems to care that much about where they are made either.

Oelewapper likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it was all about cheaper labor only, Panasonic would just farm out production to a third party, as many companies do.

When Technics first came back to the TT market, there were a whole bunch of predictions from the peanut gallery that turned out to be wrong.

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Hardcore

Taking that statement at face value, it sounds like they’re more geared up for mass production in Malaysia and can automate more of the processes.

I agree that the quality should be comparable but there is a certain amount of mystique that comes with them being made in Japan which, as a Technics fan already was a great part of the appeal for me.

ODS123 and MusicNBeer like this.
  14. nabucho

nabucho Forum Resident

OMG! the GR, and even the G ans SP10, constructed in Malaysia...
    Very bad idea indeed.
    I'm a happy owner of a 1210GR for 3 years. The video linked here convinced me to do it. I had the feeling after watching it that something special was manufactured there, with great care. It convinced me that the rising in price from the last of the first serie (mk6), before stoping production in 2010, was fully justified.

15. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

You guys need to read up thread. We’ve been talking about this for the last three pages or so. :)

I see no reason whatsoever why we should expect the quality to be any different coming from Malaysia. How well these products are built is a function of training, tools, and a well-managed labor Corp.

My guess Is these factory jobs will be highly sought after in Malaysia And that Technics will have in place a robust training program and quality assurance system. For all we know, This may make sense for Technics because many of the subassemblies and parts are already coming from Malaysia.

and as I said before, if I were to turn up my nose at a 1200 G because it is made in Malaysia, then where do I go for a direct drive turntable with best in class specifications, and best in class materials.? It’s not like there are any other offerings out there that are anything like these tables

displayname likes this.
  16. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

My money is on you won't be able to tell the difference between the Japanese made units and the Malaysian made units. The price for used made in Japan units will go up, eBay "reviewers" will make many videos comparing the two which I'm sure we'll all watch and then comment about. Wonder if this was their strategy all along, or they had such an overwhelming positive response to the reboot of these decks that this was the next logical step to keep production going and meet the demand for a long time to come.

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

so much panic over nothing. same exact parts. a monkey could assemble and package them...

18. Hardcore

A Japanese monkey, perhaps.

bootbox likes this.
  19. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I wonder if I will get mine made in Japan I ordered on March 20. My dealer insisted mine will still be made there. He didn’t say I would be waiting until May or June. So here’s hoping :)

20. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t sweat it if it comes from Malaysia. Early production units from a new production facility will be scrutinized very very closely I’m sure

patient_ot likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have visited many factories and industrial b2b businesses for work. One company, which was a major corporation, (whose products are sold everywhere at the largest chain big box stores in the U.S.) decided to relocate their large factory from a Northern state to a Southern state.

Labor costs did not change in this particular case. The main reason for the relocation was an out of date factory and a lack of availability of local labor (lack of population growth, local young people not interested in factory jobs). The second point was a huge factor and probably pushed them over the edge.

It would not surprise me if similar issues are at play here.

ODS123 and Hardcore like this.
  22. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Music Direct still says Japan made. They should probably change that ASAP if this is true. ! :).

ODS123 likes this.
  23. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Well Technics website still refers to “Japanese craftsmen” making delicate adjustments to the tonearm of the 1000R. So that will have to change as well. Unless they are relocating them :)

One thing people forget is that when the original 1200 showed up on our US shores, Japan was not highly regarded for its quality. ...Yet many of those early 1200s are still around today.

I think we need to give the good people of Malaysia a chance :)

patient_ot and MikeJedi like this.
  24. Hardcore

Speaking of which, this guys got one of the original Mk2s. It’s quite a bit different to the later models, really cool.

25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yeah true. Malaysia made my Yammie CXA5200 and 5000 and they are flawless. :). But happy if it stays in Japan for a bit too :)