1980s albums that have *never* been released on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katieinthecoconut, Dec 10, 2018.

1. mathmandan

mathmandan Forum Resident

Those tracks are included on the Soundpool compilation CD, although I believe some of them are different versions.
    [​IMG]

2. mathmandan

mathmandan Forum Resident

Wide Boy Awake. Well, technically, they only released a few singles. But in the US some of these tracks were compiled to a mini LP released on vinyl in 1982. There haven't ever been any Wide Boy Awake CDs released.

lechiffre and Surly like this.
  3. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

RCA will never do it, someone else is going to have to step up.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The original 1985 mix of Translate Slowly, not the sucky '88 Reivers version.

[​IMG]

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Was the 'The Adventures'-S/T, 1985 ever done? Nothing on discogs, but not sure if a smaller label attempted it.
    Just recently became aware of these guys from an old cover- "Walk Away Renee" they did.
    [​IMG]

kwadguy, reapers and samwisefan like this.
  6. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

The Get Crazy version of “Chop Suey” is available on Spotify or digital download (from Amazon, etc.) as part of an odd EP titled Leathers from NY. This was originally a CD that accompanied an Italian book on the band. So, “Chop Suey” (the original) was issued on CD at least once.

7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Sadly, I think you are correct. Not a priority, I should think. And perhaps too heft a relase - she has put out quite a few albums in her time, for RCA and other labels. (Though at least the RAC ones and the Sony ones are under one roof. I don´t know who owns Monument, and I´m too lazy to look it up! Lazy, but honest.)

8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I don't think that statement is even close to being controversial. Consider how many LPs came out between 1948 and 1982. One example I always give is the jazz vocal duo Jackie and Roy: they released something like three dozen LPs between the mid'50s and late '80s, on high-profile labels like Columbia, ABC, Roulette, Verve, CTI and Fantasy. Fewer than a dozen ever saw a CD release -- in fact, not all of their '80s albums ever got released on CD!

A lot of '80s indie releases never made it onto CD either.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I don't believe the Lou Reed ("Little Sister") or Sparks (title song) tracks have been reissued either.

uzn007 likes this.
  10. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

“Little Sister” was included on Lou’s box set, Between Thought and Expression. I think you’re right about the Sparks tune, though. There’s also a Marshall Crenshaw song, “It’s Only a Movie,” that I’m not sure has even been reissued, either.

bRETT likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Monument's catalog is a SONY held company now in the U.S., not sure about Norway?

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Thanks. I did consider Sony as the owner, mainly because they took over the rights of Kris Kristoffersons early albums, I think. I am not sure about Norway, though. Not sure we have record labels anymore... :shh: (Sure - we do, but since they are stopping production of CDs, I am not crazy about them. Oh, well.)

13. Chris C

A lot of Dolly's old RCA albums are available digitally on the U.S. iTunes Store. I believe that Vic Anesini did most of the mastering work on those, if I'm not mistaken and he does great work!

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

I just can't get excited for a digital release; even less so for lossy mp3. I really hope that's not the only way we'll ever get these albums re-released.

15. Chris C

Trust me, I'm with you 100% on the digital downloads, but I really don't believe that these major label owners give a sh$% anymore about CD's. I'm even bored with vinyl reissues now, as most of the time they sound like crap and cost too much for me and especially for younger collectors, so why get behind that? I also don't need anymore $100 dollar plus limited edition "one-step" vinyl, as life is just too short for me to bother with that stuff anymore. If I can't get Steve Hoffman to master something, then we ALL should know that the end of collecting, as most of us know it as, is over!

Post-Punk Monk likes this.
  16. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

Thanks. Looks like the tracklist was switched around, a new title and artwork was used for Europe.

Talisman954 likes this.
  18. c-eling

Maybe if I'd jumped to the next release on discog's I'd have realized this :doh: :laugh:
    Looks like a remix was done at one point but the details aren't quite clear on what is what, format or release.
    I bit the bullet on the old North American LP (love the cover) and the old German Sonopress compact disc (Theodore and Friends )

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Monument is owned by Sony.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

It's either gone or I've been banned for unknown reasons.

c-eling likes this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

Scott, I will really miss the "behind the scenes" stuff you shared.

whisper3978, samwisefan and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

:laugh:
    Don't think you were banned on that one. It was going to be 'cleaned' up per Scott's request but I think they just left it 'gone'
    Hope he starts a new one. Love the info he provides and what titles he's after :)

23. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Something must have gone very wrong with that thread - too bad as that is how I stayed in the loop with what was happening with the label.

samwisefan likes this.
  24. moomoomoomoo

Having read this thread, I have a guess, but I'll keep it to myself for the time being.

25. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

If you're on my mailing list you will get release info as it becomes available, mainly closer to the actual release. Since the threads came down, I've had a number of new subscribers, as well as Facebook and Twitter followers. My days of pulling back the curtain may be behind me but news will not be hard to find, and some of it will still filter in here. On the Oingo Boingo thread I mentioned how I got clearance for their Good For Your Soul LP last week, and yesterday I got Nothing To Fear, so that's the latest. But I am surprised how many people have emailed me to tell me they've been following the thread like a favorite TV show and how much they will miss it. That's nice but I also think it was a good time to consolidate the amount of info I shared. I have about 40 active requests still in progress, including some of the CD wish list requests I see in this thread, so there's still more to come.