The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Yes. I just checked three retailers that carry the 1500C, and it's in stock in two of the three. GR's are out of stock in all of them.

2. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Malaysia has been producing for Panasonic for several decades. If they haven't mastered consumer electronics manufacturing by now, they never will. Look, if you were paid $2/hr., how much pride would you take in your work?

3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

This reminds me of the rumors about discontinuation back in the late 2000's. First one happened due to a dealer who misunderstood the Panasonic statement about the Japan only MK6 end of production, not the entire line. But about a year or two later the disaster struck - they really quit all the models.
    We shall soon see what's the truth this time, but if they move entirely to Malaysia that would cause serious bitterness among many, even if there's not a micron of quality degradation. MADE IN JAPAN tag has a serious weight. Call it irrational but it has its meaning. If attention to detail is their thing, this tag is one of the important details. Luxman for example had a different line for the Chinese market that was Made in China, while the international models were Made in Japan and it was/is stressed in their PR. Made in Japan is an established seal of quality and replacing it with a "what's wrong with Malaysia/PRC/Taiwan manufacturing" blah blah debate is shooting yourself in the foot. Or maybe we here overrate the international audiophile public.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A quick search suggests manufacturing wages in Malaysia are higher than that. I guess you didn't know that the cost of living varies greatly in different parts of the world either. But yeah, keep pulling things out of thin air, fueling unsubstantiated rumors, and making assumptions with no facts.

5. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

It's been confirmed by two dealers (USA Tube and OvertureAV, the largest Technics dealer in the US). There's no question anymore. It's over. Technics has left Japan, at least for manufacturing. And I agree with you. It leaves a huge amount of bitterness. I feel so badly for the workers. They pour their souls into their work and this is how they're re-paid. It may come as a shock to huge multinational corporations who think consumers only want the cheapest products, but some of us actually want to support good manufacturing jobs. I want to know whoever made whatever it is I'm buying that they could buy one him or herself with their wages. I want to know they can enjoy the same standard of living I do. It's a point of pride for many of us. I don't want to benefit from someone else's misery. And I want to know that product was made with pride because it will last longer and give more satisfaction. And you can forget anything made in Nazi China with the concentration camps. Made in China = made in Nazi Germany. CCP is the Concentration Camp Party.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  6. Unless there's an official announcement from Matsushita it's all rumours and lies, and stories that are made up.

patient_ot, csgreene and MikeJedi like this.
  7. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yep. There is no real confirmation yet.

8. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

There’s a blast from the past.

9. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

My dealer has the GR in stock !!! I will be getting made in Japan. Unless they were made in Malaysia April 1st which is impossible ;). Yay!!

10. Hardcore

11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I still see no official press release. There could be one coming fwiw. But until then this is just rumor. I think if they actually did it it would take a sales point down. Music direct even says made in Japan as a point of pride. I could see the lower models 1500C and/or MK7 and the SACD piece. which is still an excellent pieces continuing to be made outside Japan etc but the G/GR/GAE I don’t see why they wouldn’t continue to be made in Japan. It’s not like their whole line. It’s a small factory.

12. Hardcore

Why would they do a press release though? They’re under no obligation to. They’ve told the dealers, anyone else who doesn’t know will find out soon enough when they see it on the box.

It’s in their interests to keep it as quiet as possible really.

FramboGND, Big Blue, Joel S and 2 others like this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

You could be right about that. Especially the keeping it quiet

Hardcore likes this.
  14. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

can you tell me who owns guantanamo detention camp and what they do there?

excuse me, i only don't know about it, maybe you do

15. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Terrorists captured on the battlefield. You think 1 million Uyghur Muslims are terrorists? You sound like the Chinese government.

16. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

You are presuming to know why they left. For all we know, those workers who built the turntables are not being laid off but rather being re-trained to work on other products, if not for Technics then maybe other Panasonic divisions.

And this may have been their strategy all along…. Maybe these workers knew that production was to be eventually moved to another factory.

There could be dozens of explanations….

You seem to share my progressive view on the fair treatment of labor, etc. well don’t you feel Malaysian workers are also deserving of employment?

Hardcore likes this.
  17. Hardcore

That seems to be the case from what I’m understanding in those press releases. They want to focus their best assets on developing new products, and there’s nothing left to develop on these turntables it’s just a matter of making them now.

ODS123 likes this.
  18. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I'm sure it was Panasonic's strategy all along. Whether they told the workers of their strategy is another matter. I don't know, but it's immaterial. They're still out of a job unless they can be transferred within Panasonic. At this point, I don't know what Panasonic still makes in Japan, TBH. Yes, I do want Malaysian workers to have jobs, but at more than the slave wages they'll be paid. I'd rather support a worker making a decent wage so he can enjoy the same quality of life I do. That's the free market, too. And I'm a libertarian, not a liberal.

19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Ok, in democratic countries terrorists have rights, even in prison. It must be China who owns that camp :righton:

20. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

From their website, Panasonic industries include:

Automotive, avionics, building & construction, consumer lifestyle, education, energy & utilities, food service & hospitality, manufacturing, government & public safety, retail, sports & entertainment, media, transportation & logistics.

Currently… They have a lot more going on than just Technics. And it’s reasonable to assume that at least some of its manufacturing remains in Japan..

Hardcore likes this.
  21. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

1. There's no guarantee the workers who make 1200's have the necessary skills to transition to other industries, even assuming there are openings.
    2. Even assuming a TT worker can move over to another industry, that's still a job that some other Japanese worker isn't getting.

They made the move to save money, but I won't subsidize their effort to deprive workers of good wage jobs. Now let's go back to audio. This is a tedious argument.

22. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

They have rights in America. That's why they have lawyers and can file suit. They also can practice their faith. I'm unaware of any effort at Guantanamo to deprive the inmates of their right to practice their faith. If you really think it's the same thing, you're insane. The Chinese Communist Party must love having useful idiots like you in the West to spread their lies.

bootbox and MusicNBeer like this.
  23. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

:righton:

24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Wow!
    Had to reread the thread title...thought I had stumbled onto the wrong thread.

Oelewapper, Claude M and aunitedlemon like this.
  25. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Me too! If they didn't make the move then they might have stopped making the decks we all love and enjoy. Or, they raised their prices to the point where many of us would be out. Or they take 2 years to deliver the goods. This might be the best the thing for all. Who knows! We can still all follow our conscience and buy or not buy according to what we all feel is in our values of treating people with peace, love and humanity. That's it! Politics and religion discussions can make good friends mad at each other. It's been that way for a long time. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out why this is so.

aunitedlemon and MikeJedi like this.