Complete Chicago IV coming ("Chicago at Carnegie Hall")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

Anyone that actually likes or thinks the CTA remix is anything but dog poop needs a 2x4 upside the head.

g.z., Grant and AudiophilePhil like this.
  2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

:crazy::crazy::crazy:
    They are really nuts!

3. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That dog will bite youuu.

Humbuster, Grant and AudiophilePhil like this.
  4. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

First I saw the product image and counted 16 CDs, and I was all “Oh, holy crap!!!”

And then I saw the words “engineer Tim Jessup,” and I was all “Oh, holy crap.”

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This is sad. I am in the target audience for this set, the right age the right income and I love Chicago. But no way will I even think about buying this set.

Sad!!!!

6. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

The only explanation could be a hearing loss of the band members.

7. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

So: what were they chanting in that break in “So Much to Say”? I could never quite hear it clearly. Something about the war.

8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Think I'll just find a way to get a hold of Someday and Elegy to limit the Jessup exposure and just meld them into my 4 CD set playlist. Really only need one version of each song done during the run (would've loved if they'd done Liberation as the last song on the last night, but was not to be...)

longdist01 and Hep Alien like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I didn't know it until recently, but a few other 1971 shows have turned up where they played it.

bRETT likes this.
  10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

My feeling as well. I was really looking forward to this release. Oh well, I will just bank the funds for the much anticipated Who’s Next box.

Who knows, maybe we all are wrong and the Chicago box will be fine. I guess, we can dream.

BeatleJWOL, longdist01 and therockman like this.
  11. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

This new release should enlighten.
    But I see bummer.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

My favorite live album of all time. But if Jessup is involved, no deal.

I thought the previous 4 disc Rhino was hard on the ears. I never touch it. Still got my 3 disc Columbia and original vinyl, both of which sound great. I love the kazoos and the warts.

That live box that Jessup did is the single most unlistenable thing I own, and I own A LOT. Running Terry Kath thru auto tune, compression, and multiple amp farm simulations simultaneously??? The guy is insane and poison in any studio.

13. Chest Pains Productions

What show/track was this done on?

14. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

Possibly Free form guitar:D

Hep Alien, therockman and PJayBe like this.
  15. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

According to the US Inflation Calculator,

If in 1974 you purchased an item for $9.88, then in 2021, the item would cost $52.71.
    The comparison isn’t quite indicative of anything other than costs have gone up. In fact, to be getting the entire concert run for 3x that amount almost feels like a bargain. :laugh:

ARK and frightwigwam like this.
  16. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Oh I've been bit by Chicago years ago. They remain one of my favorite artists. So I have always welcomed the bite. :laugh:

While I still adore my 1971 lp set, I'm grateful a set as vast and attractive as this is finally seeing the release it deserves!

Whatever warts may come with this in regards to the actual sound quality is a miniscule price to pay to finally have a set like this. I'm about the music anyway, not just the sound quality.

That said, I indeed passed on the 50th Anniversary Remix of the debut. But that was simply because I already own several previous versions of it (in what was, in my opinion, better sound quality).

But being bit by my favorite artists music is something I have welcomed for 40 some years. :)

Heck, I'm just grateful such physical sets are still being made in celebration of these great albums a half century later. If you had told me sets like this would be made of all these albums 50 years down the road back in 1971, I might have thought the person was crazy. Why not be grateful?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    laf848, ARK, Marty T and 2 others like this.
  17. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

I'm a Chicago fan but will give this one a hard pass, as I scored the original vinyl box a few years back for $5 (missing book, but records all VG/VG+). Been enjoying it ever since!

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sorry! That abomination of the Tim Jessup remix is not music!

19. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Oh it is indeed music. Great music. It's just that whatever he did to it is not to my taste, that's for sure.

I'm not a fan of his work, from those projects I've heard. Thus the reason I simply passed.

Still, the bottom line is that my love for the music of Chicago and the release of these much deserved sets always weighs greater than any one name on the engineer credits. He is neither here nor there to the music the band made together those nights at Carnegie Hall. Regardless of what he may try to do to it afterward. :)

Ultimately it is always about the music. For me.

Why let whatever approach he is choosing to take with Chicago's music affect my love of the music itself or for the set itself?

The more time I were to spend losing sleep about what Tim Jessup is doing at a console somewhere is less time I have to enjoy the music of Chicago! Or any artist for that matter...

As stated, I'm just grateful we are even seeing a set like this after all this time. How picky must I be about something good that I didn't even expect to see in the first place? :)

We all may love a mile but I'm happy to just to take an inch these days.

There's probably a bad joke in there somewhere so I better stop... :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  20. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Hoping we'll get a full song or two on Spotify early so we can assess the damage.

21. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Well, I'm not going to get this but its release did finally get me to order an old vinyl set. I never see these in the wild and have always hesitated to purchase one online sight unseen.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  22. Chest Pains Productions

I have 2 copies of the original box both are complete other than one is missing the voter insert.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I seriously hope they just mixed up their opinions from bad memory.

boggs likes this.
  24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I am quickly losing all faith and hope, in all things Chicago.

andrewskyDE, g.z. and AudiophilePhil like this.
  25. Jbrownie

Jbrownie Forum Resident

I agree. I know there are differences of opinion on 'Now', but overall I thought that was a pretty good, all original, group effort. But since then, and Scheff's departure, this band has completely embraced the legacy act status. There are no new musical ideas left amongst anybody?
    I've been a fan for many years, good and bad, but maybe it's just time to call it a day.