Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Before contacting the seller (JPC), I tried to contact Decca Classics on Facebook but they didn't respond. I then tried to contact them on Twitter, but they don't accept incoming messages. I really hope JPC can solve this mess and act as an intermediary. If not, I'll try the Italian address.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Daedalus and croquetlawns like this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Well, the place I used to drink it was a total dump (very popular with alcoholics) and we didn't trust the draught beer so drank flagons of Olde E. instead. Maybe they were diluting this stuff and serving it in bottles. It would explain a lot! :D

indigovic likes this.
  3. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

I like to tag twitter handles and get almost always a reply on the same day, especially if it's a customer oriented company like Comcast, T-Mobile, an airline etc. - because they see that I am posting this and other people can read it. Private messages are not possible in most of these cases, and not needed really.

4. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

I emailed jpc.de and their response was that the item was in stock and they were holding it for my order.

I think something got lost in the translation so not sure if they are aware of the situation or not.

5. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

Yes, but they could hold off on shipping any pending orders until replacement discs/boxes become available so that the customer doesn't have to go through that process. I currently have the box set ordered from them and would rather wait and see if they can resolve the issue with Decca before shipping the incorrect box to me for example.

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

bluemooze, Gollum, RiRiIII and 11 others like this.
  7. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Nice question, where to buy? For various reasons, I would prefer to buy from amazon.it, but the price is high (232 euros) and it does not necessarily go down (so it happened with the serkin box)!

8. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

Shop other Amazons: Germany: €199 ; France: €201
    As I have said, the upcoming John Lennon box is €133 from Amazon.it, but €88 from France and €99 from Germany. Amazon Italy is often the highest, and then for some things, the lowest! I always compare.
    But what do I know? I bought US Columbia Masterworks LPs in the '70s with no hesitation!

Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

More production errors, this time it is the Peter Maag Edition by Eloquence:
    [​IMG]

According to this Amazon reviewer, CD 1 does not contain the Mozart Serenades as it should, while CDs 8 and 20 contain mono versions instead of stereo.
    https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Maag/dp/B08TZDYLW6

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    bluemooze, layman, Aslak and 2 others like this.
  10. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Ok, but what if the package arrives damaged? Then better jpc, it packs better, but they are slow to ship and last time the dhl courier left it for me on the entrance without ringing ...
    Unfortunately with amazon it is not known if double packaging is used, which in this case would be mandatory...Indeed the package is so heavy, that in this case it would be necessary to use the pvc spacer, as used by jpc
    The odd thing is that, unlike amazon.fr or amazon.de, amazon.it does not seem to have the product available yet, in fact they have not yet tried to withdraw the sum from the card without money with which I made the pre-order... :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They should be by now, I e-mailed them twice about it, in German. Haven't heard back yet.

cws likes this.
  12. Aslak

Aslak Forum Resident

Very exciting. Please do report back.

I have been very tempted to buy this but for once have resisted as my shelves really are completely full and groaning under the weight of some of my more recent (i.e. 2019 onwards) mega mega box purchases such as Szell, Walter, Stern, Bach 333, Beethoven 2020. The recent Grumiaux box is sitting temporarily on my office desk while I figure out where to keep it so there is just no room for Ormandy unless I build a new megabox shed in my garden! (The thought has actually crossed my mind...)

Gollum, canzld, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  13. cws

cws Forum Resident

A megabox bunker sounds more like it! Sort of an Anderson Shelter for the Covid era where you can hide away and blast out mega box set music to your heart's content!

14. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

The good thing about this situation, is that Eloquence acknowledged the error immediately, and has already pledged to send replacements directly to customers. A class outfit these days, to be sure!

15. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

If you have enough megaboxes that you need a megabox shed, you probably have enough megaboxes that you could build that megabox shed out of megaboxes.

Runicen, trix, Robur and 3 others like this.
  16. Aslak

Aslak Forum Resident

Now that is a great idea. Some people now have those underground spiral wine cellars in their homes. Why not a megabox bunker??

cws likes this.
  17. cws

cws Forum Resident

Megabox Lego! That JEG box set will fit right in! :D

Aslak likes this.
  18. Aslak

Aslak Forum Resident

Szell, Walter, Bach 333 etc are certainly very solid and substantial but I'm not that they are THAT substantial....

indigovic likes this.
  19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Eloquence (Australian Decca?) is a great label.
    I have always liked the sound quality of their releases and they have done a great job bringing to CD great, previously unreleased on digital, recordings.
    The fact that they did the right thing with the Peter Maag mishap is another proof that they really care about their customers.

likes2listen2beethoven and cws like this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Eloquence Australia is owned by Universal and not only reissues Decca recordings, but also other labels that are part of Universal these days, such as Philips, DG, etc.

21. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

22. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Like Colin Wilson did for all his books...

23. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Cyrus Meher-Homji runs things there. Universal Music Australia must make money.
    I noticed that a lot of their recent Istvan Kertesz releases were put into the Kertesz Vienna box, meaning Decca didn’t have to do much (Brahms symphonies, I think) to put together a superior box.

24. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Think about it, though. Three botched CDs out of 20 - that's a 15 percent failure rate. Wondering who's doing quality control there.

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

I ordered this from importCDs. They are still stating April 9, as is Amazon US, at least on my Amazon phone app. April 9th stands.

Wonder why the difference between what you’re seeing and what I’m seeing?

update: I know what’s happening. When you put it in your basket it gives those dates as the delivery dates.