Good deal, or better sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kingcrowing, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingcrowing

kingcrowing Member Thread Starter

I recently found a deal for a set of Paradigm Prestige speakers in Midnight Cherry - 85f towers, 45c Center, and 2000sw 15" sub (way overkill for me now, but it would be ideal in my next setup). They're being discontinued so I can get the whole set with boxes and everything for about $5k, normal price is about $10k...

I've currently got some older Paradigm Monitor speakers that I do really like (but they're bookshelf speakers, and I really want towers), but I was planning to go the Salk route, but this deal is making me reconsider...

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

Not sure of the average wealth of the members here, but I would have thought very few people have any experience of 10 grand speakers.

Alright4now, Noba and coolhandjjl like this.
  3. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

If you like Paradigm then it's a great deal. I lived with studio 60 v2s for 17yrs. I now have JBL Studio 590s and they are dynamic and live sounding but fugly. My 60s were beautiful rosewood.

4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

If you’re happy with Paradigm it’s practically a no brainer but, if you have any hesitation that you might be searching for a “different” sound it could be a huge mistake. Dollar wise it sounds great but only if it’s what you really want.

Juan Matus likes this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

I liked this series during my rather short audition. Very clean treble and balanced tone. That was even despite them being driven by a cheap pro audio amp. They were much better than the B&W 705S2s I auditioned in that system.

Dennis0675 and hi_watt like this.
  6. kingcrowing

I guess what I'm curious about is going to a ribbon or beryllium tweeter from Salk for a similar price (without a sub). Basically I'm asking for opinions since I've got no way to hear either. I contacted my local Paradigm dealer and they have none of this serious and they've just been discontinued, so I can demo these from the private seller, and with Salk there's nobody in my area who has any to share - I'm going on reviews and measurements.

7. Khorn

The fact that you’re hesitant suggests you’re not too sure about the sound and want to check out something you might like better. Paradigm are great speakers and seeing as you already have some I would think if you “loved” the sound you would have jumped on the deal. Only buy speakers you truly love.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

I felt the tweeter in the Prestige series performed close to that of what I’ve heard from beryllium domes. In fact, that’s the aspect of their performance that stood out most.

Salk offers a trial period but of course you’ll be out shipping costs if they don’t work for you. I would demo the Paradigms and just be sure to tell the seller you won’t buy them unless you’re impressed.

kingcrowing and Khorn like this.
  9. kingcrowing

Both myself and one of my close friends have Paradigm speakers and we both like them a lot, so I'm definitely inclined to like the newer Prestige models, especially for this kind of price. But I'll definitely ask to get a demo from the seller before committing

@Khorn if I'm hesitant it's because I'm the type to overthink any purchase, and the bigger in terms of dollars the more I overthink! The only HiFi shop anywhere near me only carries the lower end Paradigm and B&W models, and I really want something made in the US or Canada...

10. Khorn

I’ve had my main speakers since the 80s because I love them and can keep improving the SQ through upgrading the driving electronics. I can’t see ever changing unless forced by move or something like that.
    I guess it’s hard being caught having to make a decision like this but I’d advise taking your time to be sure. There will always be some good deal out there if you’re really looking for it.

kingcrowing likes this.
  11. kingcrowing

That's what I'm hoping to do through this next purchase - the setup I have now was great in non-ideal spaces but now I've got a decent room with plans to move to a large home in the next ~2 years, so I'd like to get something that will work well now and that will still work as I upgrade components and sources over time.

The guy with the Paradigms said he's happy to let me demo them, I've actually bought used equipment from him before so I may check them out this weekend!

aunitedlemon and Khorn like this.
  12. Khorn

Sounds great (and I hope the speakers do to). It’s great you’re planning ahead and, if these do it for you it seems you got a great deal.
    Good luck and report back what happens.

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah! Do that! As a loudspeaker engineer I've long admired Paradigm for good engineering and consistency over time. I'm pretty sure if you've liked your current ones, this bargain will be good for you. As for ribbons, ah they can be so delicate, yet often beamy like the Wharfedale EVO 4.4 which have a very narrow sweet spot.

kingcrowing and Juan Matus like this.
  14. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Better sound over good deal. No rear view mirror

kingcrowing likes this.
  15. kingcrowing

Beamy is definitely something I don’t want! A wide sweet spot is really ideal for me, so I guess that’s why my other top pick is the Salk Song3 BeAT since apparently the Beryllium tweeter has some of the sweetness of a ribbon but a wider dispersion. Anyways, we’ll see! I’m taking my time on this and considering all options!

All I’m certain of is that I want a 3.0 setup with towers.

16. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I would always advocate better sound but none of us really can say which is the better sound the Paradigm's or Salk. You do have a data point obviously having Paradigm speakers currently. I would caution you over getting overly enamored with any particular driver technology vs overall design. And too many of us ribbons and beryllium tweeters are a bit on the bright side obviously YMMV.

kingcrowing likes this.
  17. kingcrowing

Good to know, my main worry is being too bright. I demoed some Zu Omens a while back and they practically gave me a headache from being so bright!

jonwoody likes this.
  18. kingcrowing

I do agree, but I guess I’m just going on the assumption that Salks sound better based exclusively on what I’ve read online. That said I’ve never seen a direct comparison of any Salk speakers to any of the Prestige series of Paradigm.

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

HiFi Guy, kingcrowing and Glmoneydawg like this.
  20. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Yep i am a bit of a confessed Paradigm fan...the only prestige model i enjoyed hearing was the little 15's...ymmv of course.

avanti1960 likes this.
  21. kingcrowing

oh wow, thanks for sharing, those are not ideal!! I do see you posting a lot and many recommendations for Harbeth. Any recommendations for floor standers that have center channels since this will be double duty with home theater?

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Measurements shmeasurmwnts, those are fantastic speakers. Freakishly clean and vivid. They will also move some air in the room and not fall apart. Depending on what you connected them to, they can be clinical and bright. For me they do their best when you put something very warm and romantic behind them.

but....do you need/want a sub and a center? I’d pass on them for that reason alone. If you are looking for a surround sound rig, it’s an automatic buy.

jonwoody likes this.
  23. kingcrowing

Yes, a matching center is a requirement for me as this will be doing double duty for home theater. I live in a townhouse so the sub is likely overkill... but I’m planning to move in the next 2 years and having a dedicated room for music/HT is a requirement...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

I feel like I’m going to be buried with this paradigm center channel. I’ve not used it in many, many years and it’s big as a Buick.

paradigm isn’t a popular speaker on this forum. It’s one of the few speaker companies that insists on a dealer network and has no internet sales. The vast majority of the dealer network is selling home theatre as their main business. This being Predominantly a 2ch forum, paradigm is considered a HT speaker by many and therefore straight water trash. And...they are somewhat tuned for HT which means dialog is a priority and can be a bit bright for compressed digital. I have a pair of studio 100’s sitting next to a pair of audio note kit speakers and I can tell you the paradigms are fantastic for 2ch music. The ones you are looking at are much better. I have no idea about the other brand you are looking at so I can’t help you with the comparison.

Those paradigms are very efficient for what they are, about 93db. That means if you are running a multi channel amp, you can light them up with a reasonably good Marantz or Denon. I prefer to run them closer to the top of the power handing recommendation which is 250 or 300wpc but I’m weird about 2ch and that’s all I’m using them for.

jonwoody and kingcrowing like this.
  25. kingcrowing

Nice Martin!!!

the reality is I’ll probably be doing 50/50 2-channel music/home theater, so that’s really not a bad thing for me, I want a setup that can do both well! One day o hope I can have a separate music and movie room but that’s not in the cards today!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.