The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Where do you get this stuff? The Japanese 'pour their souls into their work' while the Malaysians lack 'pride' in their work because they're only making $2/hr (according to you)?? LMFAO!!

2. Pali Gap

Is someone executed each time you make a call on your cell phone?

3. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Well said. ..We do not have enough information to know why they've initiated this move. And you're right - having them built in Malaysia is better than not having them at all. And that may have well been at the crux of Panasonic's decision.

And I'll ask one more time... ..If one choses to turn their nose up at these Malaysian-made G,GR, GAE's... Then what would they buy if they are partial to Direct-drive turntables that have the build-quality and appearance of these new 1200's??

4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

All I know is there hasn’t been any official releases. It could very well be happening FWIW. But Music Direct and other places still say made in Japan ....... anyways let’s just enjoy these tables. Here’s hoping they are produced for the next 40 years :)

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

It's the non gear chatter that bothers me. That's what shuts threads down.

As far as moving production out of Japan.... well I admit that I put more value in JPN product made in JPN.
    Even if the outside factory has high quality standards, increased production numbers usually result in more defects, even if the defect percentage stays the same, or lower.
    My other concern is if there will be any design changes to enhance the speed/ease of assembly, or will some sub assemblies be farmed out to others... again to speed up assembly and keep costs down.

I'm sure whatever happens, all be be fine.
    Just glad I got mine when I did.

Big Blue and Hardcore like this.
  6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

We DON'T know that they have done this. Unsubstantiated rumors started by ONE newbie poster on audiogon and a cut and paste job on a tube website. What is wrong with people??

recstar24 and MikeJedi like this.
  7. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

My 1500C is Malaysian and it's one of my favorite things of all time. It brings me incredible joy and pride of ownership.

9. Pali Gap

Haha, this is funny. I haven't seen a 'blue screen of death' or worried about 'antivirus software' since I switched to Macs about 10 years ago. I guess I've been fooled.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. Hardcore

Given the huge organisational changes they’ve announced all dated 1st April I think it’s fair to assume it’s legit.

11. Pali Gap

If you're happy that's the important thing, just enjoy. The difference in build quality is apparently quite obvious when the 1500C is compared side-by-side with a 1200. BUT this doesn't necessarily mean the Malaysians are incompetent (as some here would lead you to believe). To my understanding they build the machines to the tolerances and price point (and using materials) determined by Technics.

MikeJedi likes this.
  12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Um, no, it isn't. Never "assume" anything when you have absolutely no facts.

Oelewapper and MikeJedi like this.
  13. Pali Gap

If this means I can get a 1200 build without the pitch slider and lights I'll be all over it!!

aunitedlemon likes this.
  14. Hardcore

Why not? We’re only having a discussion on a forum it’s not a big deal.

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Or April 1st is significant for the opposite reason?

MikeJedi likes this.
  16. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

That's what I want too. Ever since loving my 1500C I've been saying that I'd happily spring for a 1500G if it were to come about. Aesthetics and auto-lift were why I ultimately chose the 1500C over the 1200GR, build quality/materials differences and country of assembly recognized.

17. Slick Willie

Even if not true now, moving production out of Japan will prob happen if these tables popularity continues to increase.
    When they opened that factory to make the 7 and 1500, I figured the GR would be next as it's becoming so popular.
    Moving the other tables does surprise me.

I liked the thought of one person assembling the unit vs many on an assembly line....even if results are the same.

Hardcore likes this.
  18. Hardcore

That’s what people were questioning on the original dealer cut and paste, that it was suspicious that the changes were effective April 1st. I had a look on Panasonic’s press page and found the announcements of a new CEO and organisational changes effective April 1st. That’s enough to stop me from thinking it’s just an elaborate April Fools joke, but people will believe what they wish.

19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Maybe Technics will build the full-auto GR. Now, that would tempt me to buy a second modern Technics GR. They could call it the GR+. My other three tables are DD fully auto - Technics SL-QL1, Denon DP-23F, and the not-very-good Marantz TT-530 (which sits unused in my basement).

20. Slick Willie

That would be a sweet idea...or even semi auto.
    No telling what it would cost to design and tool up for something like that.

21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Technics FB and Instagram should be bombarded with the question about moving to Malaysia and maybe they will answer in some way.

ODS123 and MikeJedi like this.
  22. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I know. I thought this was a cable thread.

Oelewapper, formu_la and Slick Willie like this.
  23. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

CS,

two authorized dealers confirmed it. We are incredulous because we are audiophile dweebs who ascribe huge Significance to this move. We think they should be announcing this with some huge international press conference. But in reality, It’s just a consumer electronics company deciding to move production to a different facility. Seriously, not such a big deal

24. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

um, no it shouldn’t.

It’s only us audiophile obsessives who navel gaze about this move. For most, it’s a non-issue.. For those who already have one of these tables, they don’t particular care. And if they don’t but were considering one and this a deal-breaker, they’ll simply resign themselves and go off in search of another option. But will do so without expressing their audiophile rage on social media. ...It's simply NOT that important to most.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yes it should. That's the only channel(s) that people who like to know it have. And there is no another option to Technics Made in Japan. None.

MikeJedi likes this.