Joni Mitchell--The Reprise Albums (1968-1971) release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Blaker, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Andrew Blaker

Andrew Blaker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Remastered first 4 albums for the Reprise label, out June 25:

Joni Mitchell - News Item

Hope this means, eventually, all her albums can be remastered and rereleased (or released for the first time on vinyl, post-1991 releases!)

scotti, Kundalini, Bevok and 19 others like this.
  2. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

No rarities, live setting?
    No outtakes with Laura Nyro as the sun sets across a British Columbian campfire

The first box was a revelation

This just looks like some standard fare
    Are they expecting to sell this first - then the behind the vault 68-71 material

And I’d trust aaa originals over any rerelease

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    PacificOceanBlue and linklinc like this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Song to a Seagull has a completely new mix undertaken with Joni's involvement.

4. audiotom

Oh wow, a new mix

The last Archives release was a plethora of riches

5. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Press release:

THE REPRISE ALBUMS (1968-1971) brings together the albums that helped establish Mitchell as one of the most-talented songwriters of her generation. It includes essential tracks like "River," "Chelsea Morning," "Both Sides, Now," "Big Yellow Taxi," "Woodstock," and "The Circle Game." Clouds, her second album, was certified gold and won the 1969 Grammy (her first of nine) for Best Folk Performance. Ladies Of The Canyon and Blue were both certified platinum, while the latter was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999.

THE REPRISE ALBUMS (1968-1971) will be followed later this year by JONI MITCHELL ARCHIVES VOL. 2, the second installment in the extensive archival series that began last year. Each one promises a deep dive into unreleased studio and live recordings from different eras of Mitchell's storied career. VOL. 2 will focus on the timeframe when she recorded the albums included in THE REPRISE ALBUMS (1968-1971). Mitchell continues to be intimately involved in producing these collections, lending her vision and personal touch to every element of the projects. Future releases in the archive series will arrive in a similar manner, with a boxed set focused on studio albums from a specific era, followed by an official "Archives" release looking at unreleased audio from the same period.

Bevok, ispace, Nimby and 16 others like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Lol that was funny! I believe they are alternating the releases between rarities and then the albums from the same era.

supermd, Jarleboy and audiotom like this.
  7. audiotom

Okay - that is more clarity - thank you
    I guess this gives you the option of not rebuying the studio albums to get the extras

Can’t wait for Archives 2
    68-71 is going to need a nice book, and serious vinyl pressing by a key name in the mastering field to get a lot of us to buy it

Then there is the completist draw

Hopefully they ignore Miles of Aisles in the upcoming release

So we can have Hejira included in a 4 record set and not paired with Don Juan / Mingus/.. etc

For the Roses, Court and Spark, The Hissing of Summer Lawns and Hejira
    Imagine the songs from this archive volume 3

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  8. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Sounds great if you don't already have any of those albums, but I doubt it's worth the bill for those of us who do have at least some of them.

Alan2, Bill007 and Harry Hotspur like this.
  9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This is interesting but I'll wait for reviews or discussion. Don't know what to think of a remixed album. I'm only really interested in Clouds because it wasn't one of the 2009 reissues. And Blue was remastered before that by our host in 2007.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

11. Andrew Blaker

Andrew Blaker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Joni has been critical of her debut album and its overall sound for a long time. She's finally taking a chance to re-mix it.

Really really hopeful for Archives Volume II later this year. The first release was certainly good but I'm less interested in the earliest years of her career, especially when she covered so many folk ballads, and eager to see what is unearthed going forward.

12. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

The old CDs sound good to me. Some of the remasters I bought were brighter.

Taxman likes this.
  13. From what seems to be the plan the Asylum years in both album boxes and Archives boxes will be split into 2 periods.So first one goes from For The Roses to Hissing Of Summer Lawns and including Miles Of Aisles and the second one from Hejira to Shadows And Light.

14. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I'll grab the Vinyl set. Interested to compare Grundman's Blue to the Hoffman & Gray cut.

15. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I'm hoping it reaches stores after we get some info about these. Are they AAA? Tip on jackets? They got Bernie so that tells me this is going to be quality minded, not some rushed moneygrab reissue

lemonade kid likes this.
  16. audiotom

If the Archive I is any indication things should sound good

linklinc and GregorSamsa like this.
  17. Dougthesnail

Song to a Seagull is digital but the rest are AAA

All Down The Line and bluemooze like this.
  18. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Source? I haven't seen that stated anywhere. I have seen the "premium packaging" so that gives me hope these are heavy tip on sleeves.

19. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

I've waited years for my fav Joni album Song to a Seagull to be remastered on vinyl, so this is great news. The Japanese SACD sounds fantastic but since my primary focus is on vinyl it's a no brainer.

20. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

So, now she's joining the anti Crosby camp with Neil and Nash by remixing his work on Song to a Seagull?! :)

OE3, Taxman and Lands End Drums like this.
  21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Did Bernie remaster the upcoming CDs as well or just the vinyl?

22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

LOL but even Croz knew his production on that first album sucked;)

Kundalini and All Down The Line like this.
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't need another copy of Blue but the remixed StaS should be interesting

24. Dougthesnail

Via Analog Planet; While the Song to a Seagull was remixed to 192/24 digital and that LP was cut from the high resolution file, the other three, Clouds, Ladies of the Canyon, and Blue were cut from the original analog master tapes. Bernie Grundman mastered both the CDs and the LPs.

jusbe, Kundalini, WHMusical and 10 others like this.
  25. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Bernie's mastering on the first pressings of Blue was the go-to vinyl version until that Hoffman guy got his hands on the tapes. ;)