Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I've been thinking hard about this. I've come to the conclusion that I rate Slidin' much much higher than even I realised. For me, it's a masterpiece equal to Helter Skelter and just below I Want You She's So Heavy - maybe even edging that because it doesn't go on for as long.

And I've only been awakened to this realisation because of this remix. Imagine someone remixing those Beatles songs? Everyone here would probably judge such remixes much more harshly. So I think this explains my aversion to EOB's. I'm guessing most people here don't rate the original as highly as I do and so can take the remix ok. But for me, this remix is tantamount to vandalism. lol. I've accepted it though and don't judge others for liking it. I just won't listen to it again. I've tortured myself enough! lol. Sorry Sargon! I tried!

2. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

I get your point, and don't get me wrong, I like how this track sounds. It's good. I just don't like it as a remix for this III Imagined album. I don't think it's imaginative enough. Dominic's and Beck's takes on Paul's were something else beyond "edits". They were reinventions, which I think is the point of this album...

3. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Also, credits of the song say "Vocals: Ed O'Brien" :confused::confused:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Don't agree! Hunt You Down from Egypt Station rocks and is very uptempo! It even has an opening blast!

5. kaniffee

kaniffee Well-Known Member

Listening to the remix for this one, after not hearing the original in awhile was interesting. Going back to the original is so weird because a part of me can't believe the original was actually this slow before. It should have been the speed of the remix the whole time honestly. Idk if it's just my imagination, but the vocals do seem a bit screamier on the remix too, so that might be where Ed O'Brien's vocal credit comes from. I feel like this remix has actually changed quite a few things sonically, but next to the tempo change they seem more subtle. I find myself asking "was that in the original?" a lot, and even listening to compare them back to back I can't quite tell.

6. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

No joke..the regular press openly ridiculed this then....

7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul died in 1966 :)

Sargon and joy stinson like this.
  8. joy stinson

Lol...So that new boy was/is most talented...lol.

9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Who needs the real Paul McCartney when you have William Campbell? Who wrote "Hey Jude", "Let It Be", "The Long And Winding Road" after all? HAIL FAUL!

10. joy stinson

That’s right...lol....that Faul dude, my favorite Beatle and solo Beatle....stomped the early dude following behind Lennon...Who cared then and does now about JPM? The whole thing/idea is comedy gold...I’ve been increasingly in love with William Campbell since first heard and saw him...he turned me from a John and George fan into a ...Campbell fan and the dude owned the seventies regardless of what critics and authors then said, lol. By the seventies I became hopelessly in love with Campbell and eventually forgot all about the Beatles....lol.

11. joy stinson

When he finally passes...this fact will be pulled out and he’ll be praised for his classiness....on YouTube in comments on his music folks are beginning to praise him now for this l.never trying to elevate himself by downing others or to hit back when so many downed him...This is probably his best character traits that and determination to plod through both bad and great times throughout his career ....

12. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I take the point of the album is to give us a variety of angles on these songs courtesy of the collaborators chosen. Some artists will venture very far from the original, others will stay closer but give us a little of their spin or personality on it while keeping the vibe of the original (that's what EOB does), and this variety of approaches makes the whole album more interesting and dynamic to me than having every cut radically alter each song. To me, EOB's mix is just different enough to earn it's viability as a remix, and I prefer it to the original. I'm glad a few of the cuts will retain the overall personality of Paul's solo cuts and keep him and his vision for the song front and center while dressing up the periphery details with something new.

13. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

Just wait until they turn up the speed on When Winter Comes and call it a remix! :laugh:

14. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Throughout his career & also his divorce.

15. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Paul “nearly died” with No Reply. ;)

16. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Yeah. This kind of thing really says a lot about someone's character. And it has been a constant throughout his life. Even, as someone pointed out, when it came to his messy divorce! Just think, putting out Dear Friend after How Do You Sleep. It really says a lot.

joy stinson, Tord, Who Cares and 3 others like this.
  17. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I am very much with you, I looove Sliding, and too have thought of Helter Skelter. Though, I don't rate, I just love. And the moment when Deep Deep Feeling is over, leaves me with deep deep feelings and a little sadness that it's over too soon, Sliding hits me hard and I need to let go of Deep Deep Feelings, pull me off the floor and start dancing with it's heaviness. Realising I am all heavy and can hardly move, I accept that fact and get light again.
    Sliding then leaves me in a jarred carthasis, relieved and ready, yes, ready and longing for ... the kiss of Venus. I am melting.

18. A way to turn sooner in Springtime, good idea!

19. wolfmac

wolfmac Forum Resident

I think it's quite simple: There are good remixes. And there are bad remixes. I love Twin Freaks and I have always adored Chris Holmes' work. But this Slidin'-thing (I can't even bring myself to call it a remix) is just so pointless.

20. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Great post! You've described the feelings very well! I certainly feel like I'm melting afterwards...or maybe sinking into the floor. You're quite right to mention the heaviness.

I see some people saying that in comparison to the remix, the original is 'really slow'. It's meant to be; it's really heavy. I mean, this is a heavy song. That's an absolutely gigantic bulldozer riff that nods towards heavy metal - I'm thinking Tool or Pantera.

So when EOB's starting point is 'ramp up the intensity' that makes zero sense to me. Slidin is already intense...it has gravitational pull. lol!

My fantasy remix: harness the intensity and the heaviness that's naturally built into the song, slow it down even more, go to absolute town on the synths and the new wave. This song 100% lends itself to that treatment - listen to Road. In fact, that's my fantasy remix: if Road and Slidin' had a baby. lol! Maximise the psychedelia elements and make it even more weird. Keep his vocals ethereal and otherworldly. Now I really wanna hear that! :uhhuh:

21. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Yep, I agree, it's also just a bad remix imo, though it's absolutely fine if other people think it's a great remix. *breathe in/breathe out*. I can deal with it. I'm ok. lol

My other 'darling' of the album is Deep Deep Feeling and I was really excited about the prospect of hearing it reimagined but now I'm dreading it! lol!

Sargon and wolfmac like this.
  22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

That's true. But I must point out that "Dear Friend" was recorded in July 1971, a couple of months before "How Do You Sleep" was released, so I'm not sure it is a response to "How Do You Sleep", although it surely is about John.

23. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

He put it in an album after How do you sleep though, so that makes it a response imo.

24. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

We were discussing this in the WL thread but did we come to a consensus? There was a suggestion that Ringo might have cheekily 'slipped' him a copy of Imagine. The other scenario is that because DF was demoed during Ram sessions it might have looked a bit different originally but along the same reconciliatory lines. Then after hearing HDYS he might have quickly made changes to the lyrics - and maybe the music - to better reflect how he was feeling at the time - because HDYS must have knocked him for six - as we say in Aus. But I want to know about logistics of recording in July - released in December - how much time would he have had to realistically make changes? :shrug: It sure seems like a response! I mean...it seems too powerful a song to be a response to the press digs alone.

tug_of_war likes this.
  25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Seems like a total bunch of speculation and a very big stretch.
    McCartney had already recorded Dear Friend, so how could he respond to something he knew absolutely nothing about, hadn't even heard yet, that hadn't even been released?? I don't buy all the made-up speculation!

anthony_beat and Floater like this.