Most unexpected sound improvement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andy Pandy, Apr 8, 2021.

1. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Getting a really good RCM.Noise floor dropped immensely.

2. SCM

SCM Senior Member

F52`s here :righton:

3. timind

timind phorum rezident

Using the diagonal speaker setup in a square room was a revelation. I had read it would help, so not really unexpected. But the level of improvement was stunning to me.

Tim 2, MTB Vince and somnar like this.
  4. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hilarious!

Francois1968 likes this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Speaking of Sorbothane I tried some “feet” meant to go under the individual components and it sorta did nothing but make me seasick. But, later on I found some big sorbothane feet and had them used on a fabulous 2” thick heavy MDF platform I now have under my Target equipment rack and it works really well. With my new equipment coming next week I’ll probably be getting a new equipment rack/table so the platform might not fit although it’s relatively so massive it would make a fantastic amp base for a heavy amp.

6. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Ok. I'm going to take liberties with the thread's title / purpose. I'm going describe changes to a system that I made this week on the expectation that it would make a big difference, but that what was unexpected was that it did indeed work out as well as I had hope. (I sometimes have my hopes dashed; it was an unexpected surprise that this was not one of them.)

Previously I had garage and front porch systems that looked like this:

In Family room HT: source(s), Pioneer AVR Zone speaker-level output > 4-way speaker selector box > ~40' of 18AWG speaker cable > 4-way speaker selector box (in garage) > 18AWG speaker wire to Yamaha YST sub / Radio Shack Minimus 7 (one box output) AND > 14AWG outdoor low voltage wire > Polk Atrium 4 (one of the other box outputs).

This has been changed to...

In Family room HT: source(s), Pioneer AVR Zone line-level output > NAD 2150 stereo power amp > ~40' of 12AWG speaker cable > 2-way speaker selector box (in garage) > 12AWG speaker wire to Yamaha YST sub / Polk Atrium 4 (one box output) AND > 14AWG outdoor low voltage wire > Polk Atrium 8 SDI (the other box output).

The combination of using a separate power amp instead of the receiver's built in Zone amplifier, the upgrade to 12AWG speaker wire, the elimination of one 4-way selector box and the replacement of the other with a 2-way, and the use of Polk Atriums in both locations has resulted in (unexpectedly) a big expected improvement in sound all around. Clearer and much more dynamic is how I would best describe it. G&Ts on the porch never sounded better!

Jeff

7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You are 'flying' high.

SCM likes this.
  8. Warksman

Warksman Forum Resident

Bought a Cambridge Audio Alva Duo pre amp, an Ortofon OM 20 stylus and a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 noise cancelling headphones.Vast improvement in sound.

Mr. Bewlay likes this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Room treatments.

10. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Ok, i'll bite, I would say balanced isolation transformer in my case.....I primarily bought one in panic mode to protect my very expensive audio things after power issues in my area were killing things.
    I have always known the theory behind well built units from guys who know what they're doing (eliminating reactive currents from nonlinear loads at common ground, CMR, etc, a theoretical 10+db of dynamic range, 'blacker' backgrounds, whatever etc). But, i was in shock (no pun intended) to actually hear sonic improvement, in addition to peace of mind from protecting my very expensive audio things.

Bear in mind though, even expensive conditioners out there can negatively impact your sound. You ought to know what you are getting though these don't come cheap.

As for the dudes buying 4000 dollar power cables and 5000 dollar music servers instead (facepalm), I understand that not all of you may have technical degrees, industry exposure, etc but, do some research and try to gather some common sense for Christs sake. You are the laughing stock of most guys in industry i know. They put on a friendly face when they sell you that 5000 dollar buffalobutt oil, but, they ROFL after you leave lookin all giddy. :D A wise man once said, "spend in the right places"....

MTB Vince and csgreene like this.
  11. Khorn

As far as room treatment goes: We all know it’s good for our system and listening experience but like small kids and medicine we refuse to take it.

12. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Its incredible. I made a Craigslist purchase recently. Went to the guy's house and he had three fantastic systems. None of his rooms had room treatment. In fact, the listening position is right up against some giant windows - without any treatment. He had the fancy speaker wires and no room treatment!

I guess some guys really like the gear. To each his own.

timind likes this.
  13. Khorn

Even though a proper professionally designed acoustic environment (total listening room design) would be ultimate and out of reach for most, there are smaller things we can all do to increase our listening experience if we put some thought to it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Alright4now likes this.
  14. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

ditto on Room Treatments

Alright4now likes this.
  15. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Drapes are really cheap. All this guy needed were drapes!

Khorn likes this.
  16. fish

fish Senior Member

Tonearm re-wire for Rega P3 - just WOW, what a difference!

Power Cords - the audiophile enigma!

17. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Honestly the biggest shock to me is still the stark differences between vinyl pressings of the same record.

I still remember getting an original USA Queen - Sheer Heart Attack. Thought it was thin and muddy and lifeless. Bought a UK version... like bombs going off in comparison. Big, lively, robust sound. Both originals, just different cuts and I assume masters.

I expected some difference, but was stunned at the scale of those differences.

jusbe, goer, PooreBoy and 3 others like this.
  18. Khorn

Yeah like, “Drapes, Drapes, my kingdom (and sanity) for some Drapes”. Could be as simple as that.

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:laugh: GREAT analogy !:righton:

20. blakep

blakep Senior Member

"Most unexpected" doesn't necessarily equate to "least expensive" or biggest bang for the buck but it definitely heads in that direction for me. A few of those that I've had in the past few years would be:

1) most recently separating my internet connection into two networks and putting Amazon HD on its own 2.4 G dedicated network and the rest of the devices on the other 5 G network. (I am wireless from router to laptop and then USB from laptop to DAC). Cost on this one: zero

2) Changing the ball bearing in my Michell Gyrodec a number of years ago from the stock steel ball to a Grade 3 Silicon Nitride ball from Boca Bearings. Cost: about $3

3) I was an early adopter of "Pete's Pylons" (custom aftermarket suspension system) for my Gyrodec a few years ago before Pete had sourced the manufacture out to True Point Audio. Very big bang for the buck, even at the current True Point price. I could never go back to the stock suspension.

4) Recently upgraded all power cords in my system to DIY Viborg (VM & VF 512 connectors with Viborg 1606 raw cable-had both connectors and cable cryogenically treated before assembling). Cost for 5 Cords came in around $400 U.S. Was really much more like a serious component upgrade (actually I'd say all of the above are pretty close to that-the internet network separation was perhaps a bit more subtle but it was totally free-kind of like speaker positioning!) although biggest bang for buck was probably on my integrated amplifier.

jusbe and LakeMountain like this.
  21. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Why the need to have it explained understanding runs the danger of placebo.

csgreene likes this.
  22. Dominator

Dominator Forum Resident

Temporary cartridge downgrade yielded very good results. I was having issues with noise on my phone stage, but will be moving to a new house on August, so did not attempt to solve the problem in my current environment. I bought a Project DS as a temporary fix and it solved the noise problem, but my MC cart was a little flatter than before, but not a big enough issue to fix. When I needed to replace my cartridge I decided to buy an AT150sa stylus and use it on an old 440ml body - I cannot believe the detail, tracking and lack of surface noise that I am getting with this combination.
    A couple days after receiving the stylus I decided to get a backup and the price had gone up $40 in a week.

23. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I went the other way on room treatments. Maybe it's because my room is small, and I did DIY them but let's face it it's not exactly rocket surgery.

They turned my room into a lifeless experience, using midband absorption at primary reflection points and behind the listener. And it all came to a head, ironically, after adding a drapery to a wall that was showing some slap echo.

Took it all out, put up some basic diffusion and shelving, and my imaging, frequency response, and dynamics are all better to my tastes now. Well, that was quite a few years ago now, but I'm officially a skeptic on "room treat all the things!"

24. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Absolutist without a doubt, the method first brought to my attention by Barry Diament, DIY isolation.

Under my amp/power supply, inner tube and wooden platform, the difference was like a new improved amp, from the first seconds obvious, couldn't believe it. Friend's commented about albums they'd heard days before, not knowing what I'd done, they thought I'd gone further down the rabbit hole:laugh:

25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Room treatments, it may not take much.
    First measure response and RT60 time as a baseline. This will give you an idea where to start. If RT high, absorption/dispersion tuned to the offending freq band. If bass, absorption after locating nodes. May be as simple as small speaker or listening location adjustment.

RT=0.25 x (V/100)^0.33 sec, V = volume m^3
    Response, FFT with pink noise, -3 dB/Octave

I got mine close: window treatment, speaker location, Schiit Loki. It is pleasing, non-fatiguing and well balanced. The response likely goes higher but although the iPhone mic is dead on it does roll off at 12-14!kHz.
    And all it cost was a few hundred bucks and some time, to learn and implement. Perfection is not the goal, overall balance and shape is. Then tweak to preference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    kaikki on aivan jees likes this.