The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

EDIT: of course Shel did do stereo mixes of Face to Face and Something Else, but most of the Kinks output except for the debut was released in mono or as rechanneled stereo from mono mixes...
    As @czeskleba pointed out upthread!

2. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

For anyone in the UK looking to save a little money, there’s a Hallmark reissue of Kinks in true stereo that drops the last track in each side. Obviously that’s YRGM (no loss for the mono), and Got Love (which is a shame). Usually found in £1 boxes everywhere.

The Kinks – Kinks (1973, Vinyl)

3. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Yep Nov 1, 2010

4. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Please let us know what you think of this album as a whole.
    If you were around at the time, I was 9 when released
    What did you think when this album came out? I was only familiar with singles on the AM radio in the car but I remember them. I took a liking to music at an early age
    What do you think about it now? Those original singles still have a spell over me.
    If, like me, you came along later, let us know when you came across this album, and what your thoughts on it were, and if they have changed at all over time. I purchased the album when the Castle Communications CD was released in 1998. I like the Cd (I must confess I love anything Kinks) A likeable listen, but better thigs were on the way.
    I currently have my media player on shuffle oddly enough by chance this great tune played while I was typing-

5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

A good album (though I prefer Working Man's Cafe), but to keep everything together we're supposed to discuss things in order, not randomly jump ahead. So this album is probably a year or so away from discussion! As far as I know, @mark winstanley will also put up solo material by Kinks members for discussion.

6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Nice sleeve photo too! I’ve never seen that album or that shot (from some long gone TV appearance: maybe Top Of The Pops?) before. Would love to stumble on a copy in the wild for a quid.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That's interesting. Are you sure? I wonder why the Kinks Deluxe CD (and the MoFi Kinks/Kinda Kinks) has the added reverb on the stereo disc of the album. There is no mention in the Deluxe liner notes as it being a U.S. creation whereas the U.S. mono mix of Bald Headed Woman is included as a bonus track.

8. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

No it only contained the song was a template for all hard rock that followed. The Yardbirds, Led Zep,
    Deep Purple and many others may have inconceivable without it. Wildcat, I probably agree with you
    99% of the time but not this time. Dave's riff in YRGM helped change rock and roll from a lover's whisper to an erotic yell.

9. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

I'm not trying to jump ahead. I know better than that. I've been a member for a while. I was just making a comment about the coincidence of a song playing in the background. So go play gotcha somewhere else.

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

?? Not trying to play 'gotcha' (whatever that is), merely trying to, as politely as possible, try to explain how Mark runs his threads in case you didn't realise...

mark winstanley and marmalade166 like this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Love the artwork. As an actual album it doesn't really hold up and together especially well. More of a period piece. The inclusion of "You Really Got Me" is unusual for a UK album from the early 60's, "Stop Your Sobbing" is an absolute gem but at that point The Kinks first and foremost were a singles act.

12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Unfortunately the Kinks (with a few exceptions) rarely had great or iconic album artwork and unlike The Beatles, Who Stones etc the intent or stories behind most of them aren’t known and don’t seem to have ever been investigated. The early albums all have unspectacular but fit for purpose sleeve art that are at least collaterally blessed by the modish design trends of the time. Later on things could get a bit tackier and or odder. I kinda like the ‘none more crimson’ atmosphere of that first LP sleeve though: makes them look like sinister saturnine emissaries from some latter day Hellfire Club, and maybe that was the intention.

13. nowyouknow

nowyouknow Music addict

I don't like The Kinks' first album very much. I can listen to it and the bonus too but i don't really need the music except for You Really Got Me, Stop Your Sobbing and the non-album single All Day And All Of The Night.

14. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Well I would expect him to run it within the rules Steve and his team have set. And I will attempt to respect his thread every way possible. I love The Kinks and have for over 50 years. I wish to be part of this great thread. The last thing i would want to do is cause any bumps in the road. He asked questions wanting feedback on the record and I answered them in the order I received them. I believe that's what he wanted although I don't speak for him. So I believed I answered his questions in the order he asked them. I made a comment about the coincidence of what was playing in the background, not randomly jumping ahead. Other posters have already mentioned Misfits and Low Budget. Ok no big deal to me that they have. I'm sure you and I agree with all things Kinks more than we would disagree. I would like to focus on that moving forward. Peace.

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great post Mark, I most relate to your own story of liking, awareness and collecting patterns as my own have some similarities.

rainingdogs and mark winstanley like this.
  16. All Down The Line

Are you Shaw?

mark winstanley and croquetlawns like this.
  17. All Down The Line

For Ray that may oh Kerr!

18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Kan't help but think we'll be seeing a lot of this as we kontinue.

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

He's not trying to play gotcha.
    I'm happy to have you on board, but we are not discussing that.
    It would be appreciated, if the format was followed, otherwise this will be a mess.

Also there is no need to be rude to someone who is trying to inform you of how we are rolling here.

Thanks
    Mark

20. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

I[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Of note, the band all wear the same red suits on these covers, i don't think it was all the same session but it seems Kinks were to don a red uniform as part of their image early on.

All are 1964 and early 1965.

21. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Geez! Ya sleep for a day and 5 more pages add to the thread. I have not caught up, so apologies if someone else pointed this out:

Some of the lyrics to "It's Alright" were repurposed for the funky "Gotta Get The First Plane Home" on Kinks Kontroversy.

I gotta wing, wing
    I'm gonna fly by
    I'm going home
    And I know why, why
    To see my baby

Becomes:

I gotta wing-wing, fly high, over the sea
    There's a little girl who's waiting for me...

22. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

You can take the rest of the week off... you won't come up with anything that good for awhile... well played, sir!

23. wore to a frazzel

wore to a frazzel Forum Resident

I can't think of an artist that I'd rather see Mark giving the album by album-treatment than the Kinks! I have followed this thread since friday and read everything from the beginning. As usual in these kinds of threads, people are expressing things that I have thought but could not express that well myself, neither in Swedish nor in English, and things that I haven't really reflected on but strikes me as right on the spot. I will probably mostly lurk around, but at least I have to express my appreciation!

One thing that haven't been analyzed that detailed, is just how different You Really Got Me is from any other rock song up till then. I don't have the theoretical education or language to express this properly, but to me it seems like most rock songs tried to balance the tonic and the dominant in a certain traditional way. There are exceptions of mainly two kinds that I can think of:

1) The minimalistic "r'n'b-structure" (just my label put on it in the moment), like Bo Diddleys Who do you love?, the Isley Brothers Shout and a few other. They don't use the "release" of the dominant like most songs.

2) The British bendings of the blues sequence, like Johnny Kidd & the Pirates' Please Don't Touch, and Jill and the Boulevard's And Now I Cry.

But the minimalism and bending is more like a disguise: we can hear the familiar structure underlying, or initiating, it.

YRGM is something more fundamentally different to my ears. I mean, the dominant is used here of course, and the result is very satisfying to listen to and obviously worked, but, still it is impossible to picture any other well-known songwriter compose this song prior to August 1964. The closest example of something as idiosyncratic that still works, is maybe Terry "Buzzy" Johnsons arrangement of the Flamingo's I Only Have Eyes For You, and that came to him in a dream! And Ray kept on doing these things, in more or less subtle ways...

I hope that this is not too unclear to understand and really would like to have your thoughts on the subject, but maybe I digress.

24. mark winstanley

It sure seems like it is going to be a large one ... and with a lot of people joining in we should get a really good amount of info, and perspectives.
    Really looking forward to this ... it looks like it may be the most challenging one yet though ... so I am going to go and take a protein pill and put my helmet on :)

25. mark winstanley

If you have great thoughtful posts like that, you had better not just "mostly lurk" :)

All posts expressing what you (and everybody else) think and feel about stuff we are looking at, are valuable. They all give someone, anyone and everyone something to consider that they may not have.
    Don't hold back, just speak from your heart or head, whichever has the most to say at any given time