Black Sabbath - Sabotage - 5 LPs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cranny, Apr 9, 2021.

1. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

I believe non of the box sets from this series that come out in the future regarding Ozzy years will please the fans on this forum. Everyone has the album, regarding live performances most of us already have that on various bootlegs.
    What else can they give us - studio outtakes for example. It's nice to have, but in the end nothing special. If it was it would have been released years ago. 5.1 mix - just don't see that happening.
    Book is the most valuable part of these box sets in my opinion.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

The problem here is that their mirror appears to be malfunctioning...

[​IMG]

3. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

Off Topic:

Dark Shadows is my all time favorite serial, I have every single episode on VHS tape, tried getting the coffin shaped box set but it's still too damn expensive, even after all these years. Love your avatar.

Barnabas Collins and Curveboy like this.
  4. Many Clouds

Many Clouds Forum Resident

My favourite band along with Zeppelin. Very expensive for what it is. The booklet interests me , but the live show should have had a proper official release on its own by now. 1975 is sabbath at their peak as a live band. Many bootlegs are circulating of this show at Asbury Park New Jersey . If this would have got released 75-76 it would have been a big hit and one of the best live albums up there with your Made In Japans, it’s really that good a show. Cal Jam is another that should have been released. As for Sabotage, it’s one of their best and sounds amazing . Think this release is for collectors only .

supernaut likes this.
  5. MetalPatchesVinyl

MetalPatchesVinyl Forum Resident

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

It's another shockingly overpriced cash grab. Even less attractive than the Vol 4 effort. Yet again a release from my favourite band that I'm not even remotely tempted to buy. Which is crazy when I think about how much I love these albums.

Aoide, Purple, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  7. I for one would definitely enjoy their box sets if they were made better and not overpriced. For example, I love the Mob Rules DE 2021 bonus live show. Nobody had that one before. And it wasn't too expensive. So I purchased that one and I am mostly very happy despite the awful album remaster. And the bonus live album on the Vol. 4 SDE proves that they have the multi tracks for both Manchester 1973 and London 1973. Had they released those two shows in their entirety, and with an OK mix and mastering, I would have been enthusiastic about that release. Last but not least, I like outtakes as well. Bottom line: it it not that hard to release something that would please me.

8. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

I think that's just the Euro conversion to dollar. The online listings thus far have been European. My guess it will probably be around $45-$50 with the major U.S. sellers. Hopefully lower.

slipkid and GRompre68 like this.
  9. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Completely agree. I ended up going for the Vol 4 set a week after release, having been previously determined not to no for it, only to see the price drop from the £130 I paid to £78 which I noticed the other day. I’m determined not to make the same mistake again.

I bought the Asbury Park bootleg on vinyl the other week so can’t see any reason to get this new set.

10. Centralscrutinizer

£78 wouldn't tempt me. I'd be paying it just for the out-takes which would be only of passing interest.
    Regarding this release. I'd pay a regular price for an official release of the AP live set, despite having a few versions of it, but don't want the rest with the attached shocking price tag.

11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

He linked the vinyl set. No way is a 5xLP box set going to end up being $50.

My bet is that it will be $109.99 or thereabouts, just like Vol. 4.

CD box will probably be similar to whatever Vol. 4 ended up at when it came out.

12. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

It's not a 5 lp set. 4 lps. And a 7". Even if the two songs are on a 12" vinyl, it is not an LP.

MetalPatchesVinyl and hi_watt like this.
  13. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

My mistake. I was thinking 3 CD set for some reason. Forgot about that fourth CD with the two songs. Probably closer to $59.99 as you suggested.

14. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Considering they spent a year recording the album I’d have expected they would have had a raft of out-takes in the can.

15. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Please to read my upcoming book entitled Sabotaged: The Terrible and Unending History of Overly Compressed Masterings and Unsatisfying Bonus Content in the "Super-Deluxe" Album Releases of the British Heavy Metal Band Black Sabbath.

15bucks, kevin5brown, Tojo and 5 others like this.
  16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I thought the same. Surely they didn't think they weren't worth including. The debut deluxe bonus CD is made up mostly of the album takes missing overdubs. I like having anything that's different but that was hardly different. Even if they just have alternate takes from Sabotage that don't differ in lyrics or arrangement, I wish they would've included them.

The fact that this set is being put out before SBS almost seems to admit the rushed nature of it. I'm wondering if they do have bigger plans for SBS- studio rarities and maybe a remix but with Sabotage, it was as simple as grabbing the KBFH show. So they're throwing that one out while they work on SBS.

This Sabotage definitely does not deserve the title or price of Super Deluxe Edition.

17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The one irony here is that years ago people were writing to KBFH and begging them to release the Asbury Park show.

It finally got to the point where someone from KBFH posted a message on a Sabbath message board explaining that they couldn’t release it because Sabbath management would not allow it.

Now we may well be getting an official release of what is sometimes cited as one of the greatest bootlegs of all time, and yet some people aren’t happy.

I get it, I really do. And mostly because few of us on this board think the sound will better what we have, but I was just thinking about how we all have gotten a bit spoiled in the intervening years. Bootlegs make the rounds so much easier now. If this would have happened when it was asked for like 25 years ago or whatever it was, people would have been jumping for joy.

Ray29, kevin5brown, hi_watt and 3 others like this.
  18. Centralscrutinizer

If it was released 25 years ago it would've been as a stand alone live album at a regular price. If they released it like that now I'd be pretty stoked. But they're using it as a way of getting people to buy an overpriced box set with what will be a crap version of the Sabotage album.

It's cynical marketing.

Anthrax, ODShowtime, JoshD and 5 others like this.
  19. Many Clouds

Yep, I’d rather they released some live albums on their own without releasing overpriced studio albums with not a lot with it. Do a proper release of the Cal Jam etc etc .

supernaut, JoshD, OzzyIsDio and 3 others like this.
  20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

And 25 years ago, I would buy anything Sabbath put out. Like I bought the terrible Past Lives with a few tracks from this show, thinking it was going to be 2CDs of "new" classic line-up live material. Then I get it home and it's Live at Last and a few bootleg sourced tracks from the most bootlegged Sabbath shows of all time. This isn't about becoming spoiled. This is about becoming wise.

Their decades of trying to pull quick ones has gotten me where I am today with my reaction to Sabbath releases. I will no longer make blind buys. I will no longer trust their marketing and claims. I will no longer buy releases that are overpriced. I am no longer a completist. They broke all that.

Allowing decades to go by while a stellar sounding live bootleg leak spreads the globe and now wanting to use it as the only incentive to buy an expensive "Super" Deluxe Edition is really poor strategy. They dragged their feet way too long to be pulling that. As soon as it leaked, they should've realized that if they are ever going to release it, it needed put out right away. You're right, it would've been as a standalone 2CD release. And I would've gladly handed them my 2005 $25 for it. Now they think they are going to use it as the selling point of a set bloated with yet another remaster of Sabotage and a CD with two songs that are just edits of the album tracks? Pass.

If it turned out that this set includes a really well done new mix of the show that is well mastered and a really well done remastered Sabotage which betters the 30 year old WB CD, then I'd have to maybe consider splurging on it. But I know it's never going to even have to come to that struggle, despite the low bar of a bootleg and 30 year old CD.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  21. MetalPatchesVinyl

MetalPatchesVinyl Forum Resident

22. Many Clouds

That’s the thing . The live cd won’t even be smartened up sound wise , like non of their other live releases on reissued albums have been. It’s a great sounding bootleg no arguments there , but you thought they would at least smooth a few edges and make it a proper live album release.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Purple likes this.
  23. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

hi_watt likes this.
  24. Hugo Spanky

Hugo Spanky Well-Known Member

Love this record, but 120€ for a live album.... This world gone mad.

Greenalishi and Purple like this.
  25. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i saw them on this tour in philly so i am guessing right around the AC show. they were amazing live. still one the best shows i ever got to see ( and i have seen a lot of shows).