The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Lol.. Yeah that's what I do too.
    But I can insert any album cover. I try to fill up the whole C-90 so that's around 19 to 23 songs.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes and has for over 60 years. And some of the musicians also play in the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra also. Music is still taught in the Oak Ridge City School System as well.

Dan C and john morris like this.
  3. macster

macster Forum Resident

I only put whatever's on the lp's. I have a ton of tapes which I purchased before they started going for stupid $$$$.

M~

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  4. Classic Car Guy

I know what you mean...
    Back to the label. I can do 4-covers in 1 in page but I have to sacrifice the artwork. Unless youre doing something I don't know..
    [​IMG]

5. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Marantz CD 320 Superscope portable cassette recorder...

[​IMG]

...the best tape deck I owned.
    (...it finally died through an irreplaceable mechanical failure and is much missed)

6. Classic Car Guy

The first and only time Ive seen one of those is all the way back to the six million dollar man tv series...:rant:

7. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

At least he had the technology to be rebuilt, unlike my ol' Marantz. :)

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I bought one of those new - mail order at the time - the top stereo three head version. There was also a two head version and a mono version, all lookalikes at a first glance.
    It made wonderful recordings for the few days I had one, and the few days I had the replacement.
    It had Dolby and a limiter. Excellent for live stereo recordings of my friends' bands which I intended it for. It had a mono speaker and a stereo headphone jack. 1/4" stereo jack then! (upper right in that pic)
    Except
    the headphone/monitor switch was miswired. The switch had settings of L / L+R / R, so that you were supposed to be able to set levels and monitor the left channel in both ears, or have stereo, or the right channel in both ears. As a three head deck you could monitor the live input signal or the instant playback. But it was wired something like L was L in both ears, the L+R setting had L in the left ear and L+R in the right ear, and the R setting had L+R in both ears. Or something just as convoluted which was not usable that way for me and a just unbelievable fatal flaw for its price. I sent that one back and a new replacement was sent that had the exact same problem. I told them I would try a third sample but if it was the same I would want a full refund. I got the full refund at that point.
    I am rather surprised that nobody on the whole net has ever noted this afaik, except me.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    sunspot42 and john morris like this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

You got me there really good. I didn't know that they aired it in your country.
    Atleast my all time favorite tv show was English series.
    U.F.O. by Gerry Anderson followed by the Rat Patrol
    But I really like Ed Bishop!

10. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Keep in mind audiophile children, +- 3db is a wide range. There is a reason specs on pro machines were stated at +-2db. Stephens even listed the +- 1 db and 0.5 db measurements.

CDV and McLover like this.
  11. john morris

You really couldn't choose. Type 1 was meant for Pro machines. Type 2 was meant for amateur quarter inch, 4 tracks and cassette decks. If you tired to encode a cassette 8 track tape with DBX Type 1, it wouldn't sound very good. In fact this often happened with persons who were unaware that there was a Type 1 and 2 and then blamed the DBX encoder/ decoder circuit on it..

AFM does not use DBX Type 2. It is a "DBX like expander." Apparently some very early models of VHS HI-Fi may have used the DBX expander.

McLover likes this.
  12. john morris

It depends on the deck. My old Nak 582 could only do it's 20 - 20 000 hz +-3db with Metal tape.
    And Metal tape will out live you and your kin.
    But the tape isn't $4 anymore. It is now priced like a fine wine. Sad......Sniff sniff!

13. john morris

Dolby B set properly does not cut the top off. Praying also helps. The manual clearly says, "...For optimum Dolby B performance please say: two Hailmary's, 4 Lord Prayers and 7 Acts of Contrition...."

McLover and BayouTiger like this.
  14. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Oh yeah, we got all the...err...good stuff here, even in Scotland! ;)
    Who knew that Steve Austin was so swift because he was so s-l-o-o-w....:agree:

15. Classic Car Guy

He re-married not too long ago while Oscar Goldman was bestman. I wouldn't really say he's slow like Prince Harry.:biglaugh:

16. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I had the two head version JohnO (mail order too) but it was for system use only and it excelled at that. Using TDK SA 90s produced recordings that actually sounded better than my Sansui P50 turntable at the time could through the amp and speakers I had back then.
    As I understand it, the CD 320 decks were primarily designed for "professional" portable use so your recording input issues would possibly have been flagged up in journalist/reporter circles?

17. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

[
    Did his new wife marry him for the money? Six million $ in the seventies must be worth TEN times that now surely! :D

18. macster

macster Forum Resident

I do one insert per page in MS Publisher and then print it on HP photo paper.

[​IMG]

The cassette labels are produced using Avery label template 5068.

M~

19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I never saw a review of this anywhere, and worldradiohistory doesn't show one in its search - and knowing how the mags did reviews at the time, if anyone had reviewed this, it would not have surprised me if they missed this flaw.
    It could be interesting for someone to get both the three head CD-330 and the two head CD-320 and specifically check that switch on both.
    From a current listing on the auction site of the CD-330 I cropped and brightened this picture from of one of the listing pictures, showing that defective switch. Actually it had to be that the switch plus the circuit board had to be designed wrong.
    This was around $300 in 1978-1979, equivalent to $1279 today by the inflation calculator. That was a stretch for me at the time. That switch was one major reason I bought it. It made wonderful recordings but it could not be used in a loud live situation the way it was supposed to be able to be used, because of that idiotically defective switch and circuit. I am now disappointed and irritated again at the memory.
    The switch is on the right in the pic. I see from other listings that the two head CD-320 had the identical side panel. Alongside is a cut from the original CD-330 brochure.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is "DBX like" and you know the USA MTS Stereo system uses a milder form of DBX NR than what is used on tape recordings and DBX LP discs. So, the very early VHS Hi-Fi VCR machines I agree would have used DBX Type II NR. Agree for amateur 1/4 inch open reel, and cassette tapes, use DBX Type II NR.

john morris likes this.
  21. Classic Car Guy

She'll end up putting it on ebay for another true vintage piece like a vintage cassette recorder. Welcome to Hollyweird

22. Classic Car Guy

Cool.. I need to find an 80's new wave synth threading. I'm running out of songs to record...:help:

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And set thy Dolby levels properly. A good tape machine which has good electrical and mechanical performance can make use of thy Dolby B and not cut the treble response. A service manual for your machine, some knowledge about where the Dolby Level pots are, a Dolby Level Test tape, and levels matched should get you in the ball park.

24. Classic Car Guy

I'm not really successful on using dolby b on my machine too. Well some parts of it., I don't really push that part much.
    By the way, any of you guys would recommend a real good Type II 90 mins cassette tapes in New (not nos). I might be needing some very soon. I don't feel like opening my TDK's...
    The latest update with NAC newest type II and I was told theyre only making in maximum 60 or 62 mins.. maybe for now.

25. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

(Darn it)
    I should add that with that Superscope By Marantz CD-330, that switch was for any headphone listening, not just monitoring.
    You could not play and listen to any cassette at any time through headphones in stereo because of that "darn" "messed up" switch.
    Through the Line In Line Out jacks it was fine.

But

This model could be listed in "Worst Cassette Decks Of All Time" because of that defective misdesigned switch and circuit.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021