Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And, in the 21st century, you can watch the entire show the next morning on Hulu or YouTube, so you don’t have to stay up past your bedtime.

Atmospheric likes this.
  2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I am really surprised if there is anything funny on this show nowadays The News is the only thing you can count on, they wreck that with unfunny bits from the very unfunny cast

Dillydipper and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sometimes I think Lorne only allows the news segment to continue, to give Keenan someplace to make you reach for the remote.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Both songs will be up for a few weeks only.

She's used lots of click tracks in the past, but I think SNL was all live and maybe even without a click track. The SV IG page has a backstage rehearsal.

Aside from music videos I don't think I've ever seen her mime a tv performance.

AS for guitar solos - she's a quad threat(plays/sings/writes/produces) so I'm not too bothers with a limited number of solos that can sometimes be shrugs. Neil Young/Angus Young/Pearl Jam/Metallica also have dodgy guitar solos that make me roll my eyes when I see them live.

MikaelaArsenault and kouzie like this.
  5. Another absolute stinker last night. Not even Weekend Update could redeem it, saddled with that inane Titanic bit. I liked the Star Trek-ish skit but that was it.

Hightops, JohnG and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yeah, last night was just brutal. I actually think that Letters From The War bit has been very funny in the past, but even that just seemed like they weren’t really into it and it was a bit flat. Or maybe that bit has just run its course.

The “What’s Wrong With This Picture” thing was worse than it’s ever been, which is saying a lot.

Overall, 1/10.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I thought last night's episode was good from start to finish except I only lasted one minute of the musical guest first song and five seconds of the second. Usually there are a couple cringy skits that I fast forward through. None last night.

jpelg and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

All I saw last night was Weekend Update. I like Che and Jost. The iceberg, Obama & Springsteen, and Pineapple just weren't funny to me.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

last night imo no real clunkers but nothing i recall standing out

Hymie the Robot and Shawn like this.
  10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

When they start out with the old “game show” sketch once again, you know they are absolutely bankrupt with ideas. And while I like Weekend Update usually, the guest commentators they bring in are just never funny. Titanic Guy was a new low.
    The only one I really enjoyed in the last decade was Bill Hader’s Stefon.

jupiter8, GregM and Shawn like this.
  11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

When I don't like something for 8 years I move on to other things. Are you a glutton for punishment or something else?

12. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Bruce/Barak was terribly rushed, no time to explore the impersonations, but they had to fit in Punky, who was good and Bowen who among the newcomers is the most naturally funny. Carey's presence was low key as I expected but she got to cut loose on the spaceship. There was some recycling but a writer noticed that L'eggs were still around and we got a bit that was perhaps more unsettling than laugh out loud but if you don't enjoy the standards and you don't enjoy the weirdies that you are pretty much out of luck.

I watched an episode of MADTV, didn't like it and never looked back.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I don't think the sloppy control room direction is helping to sell these skits lately.

jupiter8, aorecords and OldSoul like this.
  14. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I think there are a lot of pandemic health code issues here. Limited staff, social distancing, etc. The show is incredibly complicated to pull off and there seems to be some cracks in the works. I’ve noticed this with other live network programming too, such as news and sports. Everyone is struggling to adapt.

dan c

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think it's always been pretty sloppy and that was part of the show's appeal. But now it's just so derivative and stale.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Solid shows, with the Millenials in Space and Lesbian movie trailer as highlights.

First time I noticed Punky Johnson is on the show and not just in the credits.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  17. SoundAdvice

I thought the flute rap sketch was funny as well as the girl-girl period drama sketch.

I'm very so-so on rap but thought Kid Cudi was more melodic than most rapper. Plus I'm still not sure how that lighting effect worked, even if it likely only translate on tv than a possible future concert.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

The Obama and Springsteen bit was so weird and terrible I somehow found it amusing.

Overall, I thought it was a solid episode. It wasn't great but if that can be the measure of a typical episode I'll be satisfied.

My favorite was the kid on the phone with his friend asking what to do about the girl.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

What were those loops hanging down from her shoulders on the pink suit Carey wore for the opening monologue? She could slip her elbows in there if her arms got tired?

[​IMG]

Hymie the Robot and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I don't know. I was wondering the same thing. It was a pretty cool outfit besides those loops.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I think Bowen Yang is hilarious and the iceberg was one of his best bits yet. He could be a future star of this show.

Dan C, OldSoul, aorecords and 2 others like this.
  22. SoundAdvice

Surprised the Mulligan monologue didn't have a mention of Promising Young Woman - up for 5 Oscars including some major ones including best actress/picture. SNL did have an ad for the movie half way thru the episode that did mention that it's streaming/home video/back in some theaters(local rules depending obviously).

That was episode 17 of the year and next episode date/host/music is a guessing game. Last year interrupted season was 18 episode and the 2 previous seasons before that were 21 each. Still hoping for Pretty Reckless as a music guess and I think all members are driving distance.

23. I think Bowen Yang is extremely talented and a highlight of the cast but that iceberg bit? Say what you will about the ‘guest’ speakers on Weekend Update but at least their characters are human. Having a talking iceberg as a guest was IMO too surreal for even this show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It wasn’t exactly French arthouse cinema. I got the joke. It wasn’t a conceptual stretch most adults would struggle to grasp.

25. No struggle to grasp, just not humorous in that setting IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.