INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Freedom Deep‘s mood looks back to the first song on Welcome, with an interesting arrangement and a rhythm that doesn’t get started until well into the song. We’re deep into a stretch of songs that elevate this album.

2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

3. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    Could be, but Freedom is not a passive song. The tension in it rocks more than 4 opening tracks to me.

4. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

Freedom Deep

The vocal octave leap ("I need a new way") when the drums come in is absolutely glorious. One of Hutchence's best performances. In my mind, this is the opening song of the album.

Full Moon Dirty Hearts

In the interviews that accompanied the original 'album visual' when broadcast, Andrew said they were expecting criticism for the bluesy nature of this song. Can't remember exactly, but something about critics being waiting to bash them for a blues song. One of the few times I remember seeing that their career trajectory was getting to them. Felt the mask dropped slightly.

5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Freedom Deep segues out of the title track flawlessly and shifts gear into more emotionally atmospheric territory. After the song's short ethereal intro, the chorus melody enters, played on keys by Andrew and sung in unison with Michael. It sets the stage for the uplifting textures that soon follow. When Jon's drums enter, everyone slowly blends in sync and we're flown off to another soundscape altogether, yet it aptly all flows together wonderfully. This is another example of a song written around almost one chord and this time it's D major (with virtually no other changes), anchored by Kirk's Coral/Danelectro electric sitar 3S19. This droning effect provides an incredibly soothing feel, as we drift towards the end of the track before the next segue. FD is an absolutely emotionally dynamic & amazing song! It should've been released as a single in other parts of the world, and not just in Australia & Japan.

The extended 12" mix does a pretty good job at fleshing out much of the rawness of the vocals & instrumentation, that were either buried in and/or left out of the original mix. These types of extended mixes seem to do this often in INXS' catalogue.

6. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

It is. And what an amazingly good partial re-arrangement it is too!

And here's INXS' entire set from this festival...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_moksHjaPE

7. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Yes! That moment is a great one. The song starts slow, but then it takes off. Not the same, but a similar arc to something like The Stairs, in which we have an anthemic song that begins with a bit of a slower almost ambient intro. By the time we are hearing The Beatles drum track from Tomorrow Never Knows it almost feels like an entirely different song. This is not some soft-rock mellow track. It’s really the most unexpected pleasure of the album for me.

8. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

Nothing to add about “Freedom Deep” y’all haven’t already said. So many perfect comments here. I’ll just say I’m so pleasantly surprised everyone loves this track as much as I do. I’m in good company here. :cool:

9. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Full Moon, Dirty Hearts (Song): We get a welcomed bluesy inspired number after the block of heavy songs. It's pretty good all around. The guitars and rhythm section are great here; so much that I want to reach for the Zippo and start swaying along. The vocals from Micheal and Chrissie are great and compliment each other.

Freedom Deep: .As the title track ends and leads into this psychedelic, atmospheric track. I am simply taken back how well put together this track is. I forgot how much I love this track. Really surprised I never put this on a playlist or mix tape. Oh foolish me.

With the slow burn and the psychedelia that this song has, it would of been great to hear The Chemical Brothers have a go at it; Honestly it wouldn't sound out of place on their first couple of albums.

With that, it's a highlight on the album and a classic INXS song.

10. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

FMDH

A stellar title track. It contains enough soul and emotion to not come across as contrived or forced. I don't actually know the backstory behind Chrissie Hynde and INXS/Hutchence i.e. how this duet came to be. If anyone knows more I would be interested to hear about it.

Freedom Deep

Now this is what I'm talking about! A wonderful song that deserves far more recognition. Again I would love to know the backstory to this song. The Tomorrow Never Knows drum pattern is in a way ahead of the curve considering the Chemical Brothers used it so successfully only a couple of years later. This for me sits alongside the best songs the band ever recorded.

It's staggering how underrated this album is!

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Kill the Pain

As this song starts, the first thing that comes to mind is actually Wilco. Obviously Hutchence sounds nothing like Tweedy, but the vibe of the song just made me think of them.
    We open with a really nicely laid out piano arrangement. The vocals come in pretty much straight away.

Put the red lights on
    Don't tell them that you've gone
    Leave behind your fears
    You know they can't be wrong

Kill the pain you feel
    Kill the pain you feel

I know you've seen some things
    That buried you in your dreams
    Your face
    It tells the story
    The pages stained with tears

You kill the pain you feel
    You kill the pain you feel, darling

Keep the heart

Take the curtains down
    The sun is what you found
    It leads you far from here
    And takes you to high ground

Kill the pain you feel
    Kill the pain you feel

Find a way
    Keep the heart
    You have within

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Kelland Hutchence
    Kill the Pain lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

I can imagine the lyrics here being tied to the year Michael had just had. Interesting that the last line is essentially Find a way to keep the heart you have within.... I guess with the situation he had over the previous year, and the pain and side effects and the mood swings... all this stuff needed somewhere to come out. We normally know when something is causing us to behave unlike ourselves ... and it seems like this song may be a direct reaction to that.

As I say this is a piano driven track, and I think the chord pattern is really good, quite beautiful in fact, and underlying the piano there is a kind of atmospheric, minimalist atmospheric track... some synth, some subtle guitar. A harmony vocal on the chorus.
    This is probably not the number one Inxs track on the album, but I think it is a really solid track, and a nice fluctuation in atmosphere, giving the album another layer to unwrap.

I like this track.

12. mark winstanley

From the video album

13. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Kill The Pain

Another excellent song. My only gripe is once again the sequencing. We basically have three ballads in a row which really disrupts the flow and mood of the album.

I like how understated the arrangements are on this track.

14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I suppose I'm having the opposite reaction upon revisiting this record, the sequencing may be the best thing about it. Masterful.

15. mark winstanley

Being really new to this album, I actually find the sequencing debate interesting, because it seems pretty tight to me.

16. Bluepicasso

Kill The Pain: 5/5. D@mn fine song. Should have ended the album like the video album. Yes, the sequencing was done by dartboard. Lot of missteps with this album. A bit of a first with this song as sadness has crept into an INXS song, which maybe the first. Another one of those songs that hit me while listening to this album at work as I didn't have much to put on. Along with Freedom Deep, I just couldn't help but think -- why are the best two songs stuck in the middle-end of an album?

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Now that you mention it, these guys loved to stick a great song in the second slot on Side 2:

Love Is (What I Say)
    This Time
    Never Tear Us Apart
    Beautiful Girl
    Freedom Deep

18. Bluepicasso

Interesting: Golden Playpen too. I hope it was planned like that, if not, it shows their greatness by just pulling songs out and placing them in a list.

19. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Part of the issue is that by the time of FM, DH a vinyl tracklisting is a bit of an academic exercise. Nobody was buying vinyl for new albums at this point in 92-93. Some albums simply could not be found on vinyl. So a sensible tracklist has to accept this and try to make it work with a CD player.

20. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Kill the Pain

Beautiful little sincere downer of a tune. Truly. I have nothing against it, and I have a lot of goodwill for it. But it is in the wrong place. If you like this song here, are you in love with Viking Juice going last? Serious question - but maybe one to talk about when we get to Viking Juice in a couple days.

I will say this: INXS have put a bluesy song, a Ray Charles duet, and a mostly unaccompanied piano song on this album - all firsts. And all at once. It’s a real grab bag - but the quality is very high,

I totally get that too! This feels like a late night-into very early morning song sung by a guy at a piano with stacks of empty cans and shot glasses amidst ashtrays laying around.

21. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Keep watching after the end of Kill The Pain to hear the instrumental coda of Freedom Deep start up and play while the credits roll. This is one way the album could have ended.

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I take your point, but I think they were still in the mindset that people listened deep into their records and would appreciate a really good song in the #8 or #9 slot.

Again, I don't think sequencing was INXS's biggest problem in 1993. Lots of bands were still "backloading" albums with good songs then; look at Automatic For The People, maybe the most backloaded album ever.

Re: "Viking Juice," it absolutely goes last. I usually turn it off after "The Messenger" TBH.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yes, the Wilco comparison is fantastic; I'll always think of that now when I hear "Kill the Pain."

24. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The quiet Kill The Pain provides a change of pace. It’s painful, but in the end it becomes a song of redemption, without a musical resolution. It’s a solid album track, and one that I really like to hear.

25. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Kill The Pain is one of most beautiful ballads I've ever heard. It's probably the most simplistic song in INXS' catalogue. And surprisingly, parts of the arrangement, primarily the guitar arpeggiation, contain vestiges of country music. I think this works wonders to generate the maudlin atmosphere & nuances embedded in the track. KTP is definitely not single-worthy, but it's a great album track nonetheless. Short but sweet...and very affective.