Tears For Fears Live At Massey Hall To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrewb, Apr 10, 2021.

1. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

On the website it details that it will only be a limited release of 3500 copies and only on vinyl

2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That's a joke. Not cool. Not cool at all.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

On RSD list it says First as category not Exclusive, so it appears to be getting a wider release later. Fingers crossed!

patient_ot, Sean, RAZORMADE and 3 others like this.
  4. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

only on vinyl in the USA, apparently the UK is getting a CD as well.

5. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Hopefully we'll get more details about this release from Paul over at superdeluxeedition.com.

Regarding the missing two songs ("Change" and "Suffer The Children"), I wonder if any of these situations might explain it:
    - they bump the running time up so as 2CD or 3LPs would needed (extra production costs)
    - they come from a different night from the same Massey Hall stand, and this is strictly a release of 1-night only
    - technical issues with those 2 songs

It's interesting that setlist.fm has the songs in a different order than what is listed for this new 2021 release. Tears for Fears Setlist at Massey Hall, Toronto

6. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

If this doesn’t get a widespread release it just shows how out of touch the big music firms are these days.

Instead of record store day if they want to promote indie stores, give indies a 90 day exclusive on certain titles.

With these releases all they do is make people have to use illegal downloads. Same with the box sets. Why is it so hard to get Tears For Fears products?

Purple, Sean, furthermore and 4 others like this.
  7. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

The setlist.fm entry was always wrong, you'll see a complaint from me underneath it, but I never bothered to change it. For once, I Believe and The Working Hour were performed as a segue.
    Very doubtful, since they played the exact same tunes in the same order every night, due to the tapes playing in the background.

I'd put some money on the length issue (TFF concerts tended to be slightly more than CD length).

jamesc, NunoBento, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  8. JulesRules

jamesc, NunoBento and Jagger69 like this.
  9. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I’m very excited for this but will likely hold out for the widely-distributed CD, whenever that shows up.

My interest in this is a bit twisted: One of my earliest concerts as a teen was this tour, much later in the summer here in Denver at Red Rocks. The band seemed tired, disengaged, and largely uninspired. Upon seeing the Scenes doc, my reaction was, “What the heck? Where was THIS band?” So, I can’t wait for a much better representation of this tour than what my memories (fade) provide.

jamesc, D-rock, patient_ot and 2 others like this.
  10. JulesRules

Yes, by all accounts this was a tour that defined "grueling" (149 gigs according to setlist.fm!), and then add in the limitations of being chained to the Revox tapes and playing the same thing every night... no wonder they took such a long time off and also desperately wanted to change their course.

The Fantastic Tears For Fears Blog: Tour Information - Part 2 - 1985

patient_ot, Jagger69 and NunoBento like this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Don't give them any ideas!

You likely saw them after Kansas City where they discovered Oleta and were fed up with their own material.

12. JulesRules

imail724, Sean, Jagger69 and 3 others like this.
  13. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

So vinyl the vinyl release will be indeed that limited. Mind bending decision.

Sean, Jagger69 and JulesRules like this.
  14. JulesRules

Well to be fair, almost none of the extra material from the box sets so far made it to vinyl in any form. So TFF seem to be bucking the trend here of putting everything out on that format.

I do think it's sad that it's hard to get for fans who aren't anywhere near a participating record store...

NunoBento and Jagger69 like this.
  15. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Thanks for that info, there's some good bits in there.

It's too bad about the missing two songs. But I've seen other cases where an artist wanted to do an archive release but the tapes were damaged or had some technical problems. It can be an issue with older recordings. Still, I'm really excited about this release. 7 of the 8 songs from SFTBG and a healthy portion of The Hurting. And the energy from the band and crowd in Toronto really shine through. I've heard some other show, maybe Dallas '85, which was not engaging at all.

I know this was hinted at earlier, but was the setlist exactly the same every night on this tour? So no occasional performances of "Watch Me Bleed" or "The Way You Are" for example?

NunoBento and JulesRules like this.
  16. JulesRules

It is what the band themselves said. Also, see for yourself: Tears for Fears Tour Statistics: 1985 | setlist.fm

There is one listed instance of "The Way You Are" but I have my doubts. It's followed by "The Working Hour" which makes me wonder if the user didn't simply add a superfluous wrong track (setlist.fm comes up with suggestions when you type anything in). The band quickly took a dislike to "The Way You Are" after it flopped (compared to the previous singles), and "Watch Me Bleed" is the first song from The Hurting which was retired, so I wouldn't assume they'd dig that one out.

jamesc and Jagger69 like this.
  17. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

It's not only the fans that aren't near a participating store that won't be able to have it. I suspect that even in London it will be impossible to get and come noon, it will be sold out everywhere.

By luck, I had the last DD from Rough Trade on my hands a few years ago. They had to go get it out on the back. Looking at the heinous price, I gave it back, saying that I was going to see other records. When I came back for it 3 minutes later, you guessed, it was gone. Have been following Discogs and eBay ever since and it's impossible to get at a decent price.

With TFF, I'll be lucky if I get my hands on a copy to begin with.

Jagger69 and JulesRules like this.
  18. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Very nervous about the prospects of a CD release in the US. I’m hoping for something more concrete than “it [the LP?] will presumably get a wider release later.” Typical RSD!

JulesRules, NunoBento and Jagger69 like this.
  19. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Should be good “over here” as long as there’s a mass market international or EU pressing; order from Amazon UK or the like. The key will be Universal doing something post-RSD.

Jagger69, morgan1098 and JulesRules like this.
  20. JulesRules

See what I posted ;) The vinyl will remain a RSD exclusive but the CD will be out in general circulation.

Jagger69 and morgan1098 like this.
  21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Not seeing mention of a CD release anywhere

23. JulesRules

Tears For Fears (1)
    And as I said a couple of times now, Steve Hammonds confirmed to me that the CD will be generally available after RSD...

24. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

... but the scars still linger.

ramdom likes this.
  25. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Did Universal not get Steve Hammonds' memo then? Because they aren't doing a great job of highlighting the availability of a CD. It's not like the release of a CD later is going to hurt sales of an extremely limited RSD vinyl set; it's going to sell out immediately.

Jagger69 and D-rock like this.