' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

King Kong isn’t the only one whose size changes depending on the movie.

[​IMG]

Also, in the new movie Godzilla’s radioactive breath is the same as the energy source that is plentiful in Hollow Earth where Kong’s species originates so he has a natural immunity to it.

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I don’t think they cheated. Lol! This is the new monster verse with new rules than all the films we grew up with. And if Godzilla isn’t smart enough to use his atomic breath that’s on him, but he’s a dumb lizard. Kong was the hero here. And he saved Godzilla’s keister to boot. Kong was the bigger monster at the end, inspired by a little girl.
    I agree about mecha-Godzilla. That gummed up the works. Sort of fun seeing him but added nothing and got in the way of the main fight. Skull island had a better plot and a touching ending.
    I’m not a fan of the two directors that did this movie and Godzilla King of the Monsters so I wasn’t holding my breath for great cinema. Still, I had to watch because I love giant monster movies.

Shawn and The Revealer like this.
  3. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I don’t think it’s cheating. But they took artistic liberty to make a movie. LOL. But, really what could they do? We all are pretty sure Kong can’t defeat Godzilla. Who can?

Remember in Godzilla 1984(?). When are Japanese friends developed a floating, manned, orb. It contained poisonous torpedos or missals. Godzilla went down and look dead, but lightening struck him, and energized him. He stood up and went berserk. He burned the orb and then smashed it with a highly damaged skyscraper.

That’s was so cool about Godzilla and Kong. If people would leave them alone. But no! Governments want to weaponize everything.

Remember the very first Godzilla movie was pretty serious. If I’m correct it had an anti nuclear war bent.

But, one hopes the writers don’t get too out of hand like that bomber of a Godzilla movie with Mathew Broderick.

4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I don't think it is cheating, this is a different Kong than Kong 1933. In Kong: Skull Island, they explain that this Kong is young and still growing, so they have explained the size increase.

None of this changes the fact that Kong doesn't stand a chance against a living nuclear reactor.

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

They explained it with the Hollow Earth storyline. The source of Godzilla’s power isn’t the same as it is in the older films. They retconned it to make the pairing more evenly matched, and is why they gave Kong a battle ax with the ability to absorb Godzilla energy.

Kong isn’t just an oversized gorilla. He’s a Titan.

Shawn likes this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is Godzilla not nuclear anymore? I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. :doh:

7. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

You didn’t notice the solar panels along Godzilla’s back?

The Revealer and The Hud like this.
  8. Pizza

That was Mecha-Godzilla. ;)

The Revealer and razerx like this.
  9. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Watched it last night. A well made piece of ****.

Tree of Life, PapaMuerte and ted321 like this.
  10. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Word on the street says that there was trouble on the set because Kong keep flubbing his lines!!

PH416156 and vertical like this.
  11. Lenny99

I almost forget mention the hollow earth story line. Years ago I bought a book whose author pushed the theory of a Hollow Earth. I remember thinking this writer is not presenting a good scientific argument. But, he was serious.

That theory has been debunked by many explorers, and pilots.

None the less, in a Godzilla movie most real science is off the table. And that’s one reason theses movies are liked.

Who cares about science. Let’s have the giants fight. Lol.

The Revealer and Shawn like this.
  12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It isn’t even that new of a theory. Isn’t it the basis of Jules Vernes’ Journey to the Center of the Earth?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I watched it - I think if I were 8, I'd have loved it. As an adult, it was merely OK.

TBH I feel deeply obliged to hand over my money to any studio which is prepared to take the risk of putting new releases out on streaming formats at the moment!

14. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Watched it also. Thought it was good until the main foe turned out to be a Pacific Rim Godzilla clone. I guess if I were 10 I would have loved it.

15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

lol, you’re kidding right? I think you’ve got it backwards as to which is a clone of what. The main foe as you call it is 47 years old.

Shawn likes this.
  16. Lenny99

Yep, but Verne wrote that book as Science Fiction. It’s probable he based it on the belief in a Hollow Earth. As a concept it’s been around since men could write. HG Wells in his book “The Time Machine” had the hero end up fighting a race of futuristic human who inhabited the interior of the earth.

Many ancient cultures have tales of a Hollow Earth that existed in their past. I think one is the famous Greek tale is about a hero who ventures into the earth.

A real odd incident concerning this Hollow Earth theory occurred when Admiral Byrd flew across the Polar region (I can’t remember, North or South) in the 1940s. At the time, it was some feat. Anyway, he was supposed to have reported seeing trees, animals, etc. In effect, the entrance to the interior is not a “hole”, but a large depression. Byrd is supposed to have flew his airplane into the depression. The further he proceeded the temp began to rise till it was warm enough to support vegetation and animal life, which apparently he reported.

Some believe he was hallucinating due to the lack of oxygen. I think there was also rumors that he was getting old and was having an onset of dementia. Conspiracy guys think he was shut up by the Government.

Also, another part of the Hollow Earth theory is a belief held in some parts of the UFO communities. Some believe that’s an area where aliens hide with their ships.

And finally (I hope) some of the Hollow Earth believers maintain an advanced race of humans inhabit that area. And that they are the nonaliens who pilot the UFOs.

Sorry to go on, but who knew you could learn so much from reading... lol.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    The Revealer likes this.
  17. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

For my money, this post is worth keeping up with this thread. I love that you have read enough about this to share some curios of history. I also think that taking these movies - and even a discussion about them - very seriously is missing the point.

Also, I read a couple of people more or less say, "I would love it if I were still a child." Hey, you know what? I still have my eight year old available to me. And my ten year old. Yes, they loved the movie. I long ago stopped 'arguing' about Godzilla movies. If I couldn't cheerfully watch it and joyfully discuss it, I really wonder if I'd watch it at all. Nothing is more inconsequential, except maybe, you know, sports championships? But big fun? Sure, you bet.

Shawn and Lenny99 like this.
  18. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I enjoyed it, fun film.

The Revealer and joelee like this.
  19. Lenny99

I believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head per your advice on enjoying a Godzilla movie. Just this afternoon, my grandson and I were discussing this very point. If a person watches a Godzilla movie, for it to be enjoyable viewing, that person must suspend reality for the course of the movie. Most children can easily do so because they don’t understand physics. And, even if they do as an older child, they don’t have a problem with accepting the craziness included in a Godzilla movie.

This has brought about what I consider are the two fundamental types of Sci-Fi movies, books, etc.

1)Those that make little attempt to adhere to the laws of physics. These movies are about the fight, or whatever type of confrontation is involved. These are much easier to write, and direct. They may even appear to have a basis in science, but usually that’s just a lot of nonsense dressed up as science.

2) Those that (for the most part) stand on science. Those writers must be scientifically founded. They maybe making a point about mankind’s dismal future due to our laziness , or perhaps mankind’s reaction to a discovery that upends science. But, they try to keep their story as scientifically as sound as possible.

Of course, since we are discussing a Sci-Fi movie we know by that title there will be at least the bending over of science. Obviously all Godzilla movies belong to that first group.

I think there are times when a writer wants to make a point, or has something important to say. To get that point across, it maybe necessary to suspend reality.

In Godzilla movies most of the time the only point is, “get out if his way@.... lol. If your going to enjoy a Godzilla movie you must have the ability to suspend logic etc.

One more point, I believe the very first Godzilla movie was written to make an important statement about nuclear proliferation. I believe the character Godzilla was conceived by a Japanese writer in an effort to show how the United States violated the Geneva Convention’s laws concerning war. He felt like many historians now feel, that the atomic bombing of Japan was done for political purposes. To frighten any nation who would oppose the USA.

Recent scholarship has put forward another reason for the Japanese surrender, the declaration of war by Russia and not the atomic bombing. After all General Lamay, the man in charge of the Army Air Force which bombed Japan stated his planes did as much damage if not more in fire bombing Tokyo with napon.

He and other USA generals were against the atomic bombing from a military standpoint. It wasn’t necessary. In fact, the Army Air Force were told to purposely leave several large Japanese cities untouched by bombing. So they could be a target of “the bomb” to demonstrate its power.

It appears that naturally, the Japanese creator of Godzilla was aware of this criticism.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    The Revealer, Pete Puma and Michael like this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It wasn't that bad....Iguanazilla. ; )

21. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

This scientist, clearly ahead of his time explained it best.....

22. Very nice post. And to make things even easier, these are Kaiju movies (not sci-fi), a genre unto itself.

Kaiju - Wikipedia

Grand_Ennui and Lenny99 like this.
  23. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Watched this today, took the kids to the movies for the first time in over a year. Went to this new laemmle theatre that just opened up, looks like an independent chain here here in Los Angeles. It’s actually nice reserving your seats in advance, never had that experience before.

Got to say, the movie was much better than I was expecting. Didn’t expect the mechagodzilla, that was a pleasant surprise. At least I didn’t remember seeing mecha on any of the trailers. My son and I are in agreement, this has to be the coolest mechagodzilla ever!

Bossyman likes this.
  24. Lenny99

You can learn something new, every day. Lol.

Shawn likes this.
  25. Pizza

The only thing I didn’t like was the way Godzilla looked. If they had stayed faithful to his image, I think the film would have gone over better.