Rega Planar 3 vs Technics SL-1500C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pretty.Odd., Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

When you want to adjust your VTA would you rather have an apple or an orange?

2. Turntable Fan

Turntable Fan Forum Resident

Rega has spacers in stock. I understand that when you swap cartridges very often, as reviewers may do more often than other listeners, a 1200GR can handle this matter much more easier.

But when you have a perfect installed PU and you run it for a couple of years, I will go with the better sound quality of a rega in the same price range.

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

So you've done a comparative side by side test?

4. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Have you? Please describe sound differences between tested models and setup used. I see you make similar claims in every TT recommendation thread.

BluTorch, MGW and SirAngus like this.
  5. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

@csgreene just put you on ignore. I’d bet he’s never compared a Rega tt.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  6. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

My opinion is strictly subjective, I've listened to several Regas and Technics turntables, not side by side but I got an overall impression of sound they produce. Technics always had a drive or rhythm that Rega lacked. For that it is much better suited for someone who likes to listens to electronic music. It sounds closer to digital music, perhaps more true to source. What got me in to buying Rega turntable in the end was their live-like, musical, light sound which I can't get with digital. Rega works more like a delicate musical instrument that is part of the record you play. That is why they like to be modified - everything you change on them changes the sound, mostly for the better if done right.

sepsism, rischa, trd and 1 other person like this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

been saying this since the technics g series was introduced. they have the rhythm, drive and energy of digital while keeping the smoothness of analog. best of both worlds.

8. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I have a 1200GR
    AND a P7
    love both,
    Does that count ?

9. Turntable Fan

Turntable Fan Forum Resident

This is the perfect answer.

AKA-Chuck G and Pmds55889397 like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

how is it a perfect answer? the OP did not ask about either turntable.

11. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Welcome to the growing club! :agree:

trd likes this.
  12. AKA-Chuck G

He got it backwards of course! Dang, Rega is KNOWN for PRAT.

popol_vuh likes this.
  13. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Your quite right however it might give a clue..

14. AKA-Chuck G

The P3 is the sweet spot Rega table if you add the Neo. You can get the package for around $1100. As far as I can tell the P6 has a better counterweight but very little difference other wise. I also checked the speed on the P3 with the regular wal-wart and the old TTPSU. The speed was very stable-just a tad fast. With the NEO you get spot on and darker background.

I recently got a new P3 for my son, eventually. In the meantime one of cartridge leads broke (currently getting fixed) so I took the groove-tracer sub platter and the better counterweight from the P5. At the same time I am breaking in the Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII ES on the P3. It's starting to sound fantastic. I think most anyone who heard this combo would be satisfied (double blind test anyone :laugh:). I mean this is like the Chevy vs Ford crowd. They both run fine but we all have brand biases. I'd love to hear identical setups with blind test-Rega vs Technics. Other than that are just kind on tinkling in the wind.

woodpigeon likes this.
  15. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

So you are telling me that you chose not to buy a Technics because there are people who love them and love to talk them up, rather than how the Technics sounds/performs in your system? This is mind boggling to me and sounds quite ridiculous IMO. Are you in high school by any chance?

BTW, I do not own a Technics. I Have owned a Rega. I would never buy a Rega again. I would buy a Technics if I were in the market and it performed to my expectations in my system. Why does it matter that some are quiet zealous about them?

Sterling1, RS2099 and csgreene like this.
  16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Bingo!

Sterling1 likes this.
  17. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I certainly did not. I bought a Technics on March 21, 2010, like anyone would do if they really wanted to understand their options. There is a thread about it at Audio Karma.

18. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

What are the results of your comparison of the Rega and your Technics? And what Rega tt did you compare?

popol_vuh and trd like this.
  19. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

In his 4-12 vid, Darko speaks of his fondness for his 1210-GR, with which he uses a 2M Black. He also talks about his Planar 2- Zu-103 combo, which he thinks sounds better. Not bigly; on a 10 scale, maybe a 7.5 to 8 or 9.I

trd likes this.
  20. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Please answer the question. If/when my vintage Kenwood KD-2070 goes kaput, I’d consider a Rega or other decent belt drive, since I already have a SL-1210GR. I’d love to know what kind of different experience I’d get with a Rega in the $1,500-$2,000 range.

Thanks!

21. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Do you hear an appreciable improvement in sound quality with the 1500C over the earlier Technics models.

22. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

That's a great attitude, have fun in your crusade against the quality products of the world!

23. Pali Gap

Don't all quality products have 'devoted followers'?
    Aren't there Rega forums with 'devoted followers' as well?
    There are plenty of Technics owners on here who are honest and share any issues or problems they've experienced.

24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I take it you haven't been involved in many Technics threads. I admit to once being a crazy Technics fan boy (despised, a creature of the night, hated..;)). I've chilled over the years and appreciate all the nice decks.

BluTorch and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  25. Pali Gap

Mmmkayy. Yes it's one thing to be a supporter of a product based on positive personal experience, it's another to stubbornly object to any possible criticism and pretend something is perfect even when faced with information proving otherwise.

Glad to hear you've sorted yourself out lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.