Brand: Vinyl storage solutions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Justme87, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Justme87

Justme87 Active Member Thread Starter

So, today I received a batch of 1000 outer sleeves from vinyl storage solutions.

BULK ORDER-4 mil SINGLE Pocket (12 inch) LP Vinyl Record Outer Sleeves - Crystal Clear CPP-500 Sleeves to a pack - WITH A TUCKABLE FLAP

Cast polypropylene outer sleeves, 4mil, with tuckable flap.

I have tested a few this morning and the fit nicely (even gatefold). I love the idea that it’s a tuckable flap. so no dust can enter + no adhesive strip!

what also really made me want to buy these is that it’s made out of archival cast polypropylene that passed the P. A. T. test for no photographic enclosure reactivity.

I think these are the sleeves that I want to use for all my records in the future.

anyone else using them?

The FRiNgE and Nathan Z like this.
  2. davidp71

davidp71 Callipygian Pilgarlic

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I just got the 4 mil and need to get more as i only grabbed 100 to try them out. Want to do a bulk order of 500. However they have 2 mil as well and im curious how those compare to the 4mil, id save $70 getting those

4. I keep thinking that hemp paper would make the best LP sleeves. It wouldn't scuff or age like wood pulp paper, it's more durable than rice paper, and it wouldn't have the static problems of poly plastic. Although it's definitely a plus that the poly sleeves you've ordered are non-reactive.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I have both. Essentially, the 2mil are thinner. But the quality is still top notch. Strong seems, etc. The 4mil definitely feel better so I save them for my most treasured lps.

You can buy samples from him as well. Might be worth getting a few singles of different styles (just to make the postage worth it). Might be a cheaper way of testing out the 2mils to see if you like them.

These sleeves are my favourite ever sleeves. The dual pocket idea is great.

He's also introducing some mofi like inners.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  6. Swordsandchains

i just dont want to get 2 mil samples and then wait to get more, i dont have patience and just want to sleeve haha

i was thinking if getting the 2 mil for the cheaper single pockets and to keep getting 4mil fot gatefold and the nicer releases from MMJ, AP, TP, etc

eddiel likes this.
  7. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I've been thinking about placing a bulk order for the 4 mil tuckable sleeves after trying out some of the 2 mils. Does anyone know how well they fit gatefold or tri-fold sleeves compared to the 2 mil?

8. Swordsandchains

i have the 4 mil resealable and they fit gatefold perfectly

9. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Are you using two of them to cover each flap of the gatefold or sliding the whole jacket in one of them? I'm contemplating buying either the 2 or 4 mil to double up on the gatefolds, but can't decide which size. I've read some issues with the 4 mils being a bit too tight and some bowing of the jackets occurring, so was leaning toward the 2 mil. I currently use the 2.5 Ultimate Outers from Sleeve City which seem fine to me in terms of thickness. Can anyone comment on the preference for the 2 or 4 mil sizes to "wrap" the gatefolds?

10. Swordsandchains

i use 2 per gatefold, and i love it.
    I havent had any issues with 4mil being too tight, seem to fit just right.

im sure the 2 mil will be just fine and itll save you so money

Garmonbozia and timzigs like this.
  11. Mookielagoo

Mookielagoo Marky-mark Vinyl Nut

I must be doing something wrong or have a bad batch?!?!?!...they seem very tight to the point that they just don't fit the majority of my tone poets, 45rpms or any of my sleeves for that matter..i managed to get Melody Gardot gatefold fitted (after 5 attempts with trying trying out different outers in the batch (also the tape is prone to pulling off the adhesive?!)...they just seem ever so slightly to vary in size within the batch...ive now given up! It must be me I haven't read a bad review of these things but I'm pretty fed up.

12. Swordsandchains

you should contact Mike at VSS, hes very responsive and nice ti work with

eddiel likes this.
  13. canstoog

canstoog Well-Known Member

I use the 4ml single pocket outer sleeves. For the really large gatefolds I use his oversized ones

14. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

2mil or 4mil?

I ordered both 4mil and 2mil (both with the second pocket too) and had the problem only with the 2mils. Too small and they wouldn’t fit on my Tone Poets.

Contacted Mike and he had me measure them and they were indeed smaller than specified. They were supposed to be 12.75” (321mm) but they measured <12.5” (316-317mm). He said he accidentally sent me sleeves from a large custom order where the customer wanted a tighter fit. So he sent replacements that should be stock/normal sized and I should get those any day now.

Given that 4mils fit my Music Matters gatefolds and weren’t very tight at all, I think if the 2mils are sized to spec there should be no issues with Tone Poets.

So I’d measure them and if they’re small, contact Mike and I’m sure he’ll take care of you.

Mookielagoo likes this.
  15. Mookielagoo

Thanks guys.. hoping Mike can help out with this. Im sitting here trying to cover Sunday Mornin Grant Green and Lou Donaldson Mr Shingaling both single non gatefolds. They just don't fit. Fingers crossed I get replacements.

16. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Please do contact me. I accidentally sent out some of the special order smaller sleeves, so this might be the case. Sorry for the inconvenience and lurking!
    Mike

17. Mookielagoo

Cheers Mike, these are superb. Beautiful design and gorgeous quality. They've completely changed how I store, protect and enjoy my record collection..many thanks

vss and Swordsandchains like this.
  18. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have to admit, I enjoy doing this and making products in Canada/USA.

19. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Just a heads up to everyone, certain albums won't fit the standard sleeve and there is an oversized product line for those larger albums. Tone poets and one steps for example have gotten rather silly with the album sizes. The standard sleeve is 320 mm squared and the oversized is 332 mm squares, sizes have a tolerance of +/- 2 mm. Thanks

captouch and Swordsandchains like this.
  20. Swordsandchains

i used the oversized dual pocket for the AP triple lp single pocket jackets, works well.

21. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Tone Poet and MMJ releases fit perfectly in the 2.5 outer sleeves from Sleeve City.

pressureworld likes this.
  22. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

I've been using Vinyl Storage Solutions for a couple of years now. It's great to see the word getting out on Mike's quality of production and service. My shelf is stuffed to the gills with VSS record sleeves and album covers. Keep up the great work, Mike.

nosliw likes this.
  23. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Mike, you don’t have oversized with dual pocket and resealable yet, right? FWIW, the standard sized sleeves, I was able to get them fit on all Tone Poets, though it was a tight fit in some cases. But I only have maybe 15+ TP’s - don’t have them all.

Also, was the tape issue only on a certain production batch and at some point won’t be an issue? On the latest batch I got (2mil), the sleeves were kind of wrinkled/puckered where the tape was, something I didn’t notice with the 4mil or the custom/smaller 2mils. I don’t know if this was an artifact of the tape issue or is just more likely to happen on the thinner 2mil sleeves.

24. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Oversize for single and 3 types of dual pocket are for sale, unless sold out.
    That's why I say certain albums. There is no standard size per say for record albums and they cane greatly deviate, up to 1/8 inch. depending on the manufacturer.
    Tape is finicky and a royal pain in my a**! To be honest, I avoid using the 2 mil version and given the sales of that item, it might be put out to pasture, as the 4 mil outs sells it by a huge margin.
    Thanks for the comments.

25. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Thanks!