The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

I tried pretty much recording on the different settings. Nothing will beat ferri-chrome on type I w/ 70us recording settings. Majority of your playback decks will be type 1 110-120us. Very few people has type III decks nowadays. I have 2 jvc ferric chrome capability decks. But I play the pioneer or nakamichi with no type III the most. That's just like the larger picture...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    john morris likes this.
  2. Classic Car Guy

I tried recording on metal tape once and I nearly ruined it. It sounds like schaiiite on my settings or the recordings are probably all wrong. I didn't wanna go to it further. No Bass., No Deal!

3. Classic Car Guy

LoL...I thought no one will beat emerson when it comes to it.

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Lol...
    But, if you get some $19 pos from Emerson and it works at all, it's almost delightful. If you get some $300 ($1279) "Professional" thing from "Superscope by Marantz" that works well except for the stupidest idiotic-iest fatal flaw, it's really something and remembered 43 years later!

5. Classic Car Guy

I know what you mean. I never buy anything off at ebay especially a cassette deck which is super precision. But I did pull a trigger on a deck that I been looking for and it is a rare one last week Monday. He sent me a tracking but it was not even moving at all. I asked the seller today politely that if he sent it great, but if not, please just cancel the sale. He just went off the roof... LoL.
    I just don't want to say it straight but if there was something wrong with the deck, why sell it to me? Last thing I need is a jack in the box surprise!
    [​IMG]

6. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Millions of cassette users from 1979 - 2009 have been buying and using metal tape with no issues. Funny the Nak ZX - 15 tape worked great on my 582.

Spock says only 3 logical explanations:

1. Your deck is not up to spec. It is broken.

2. Your tape was a lemon

3. You did something wrong

chilinvilin and Classic Car Guy like this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

More likely its the 3 of those. :biglaugh:

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. john morris

Mmmmmmm.......O.k.

9. Classic Car Guy

John when I get the rotel I'll show it to you. I bought it from an actor on ebay. First time I bought a good equipment from them since 2004, Lets see how this thing turns out...

john morris likes this.
  10. john morris

Dude! LOL Ya got to stop calling those poor-bastards "actors." Now be kind. Think of a more PC name for them.

11. john morris

Ferric-chrome is Type 3 which is 100us. And 70us is for Type 2 and 4. What gives?

Edit: 120us is for Type 1. You can use 120us on Type 2 tapes but you will pay in 2 db increase in noise. I wouldn't do that!

12. john morris

There is a real nice 3 head Nad deck from 1986 that had a manual height-azuimth knob. $900 refurbished and up to spec on Ebay.....Or was it Reverb.

13. Classic Car Guy

I just bought one on bay like what I told you last week Tuesday. After 4 days I been telling the seller if he haven't shipped it, Don't send it anymore maybe you need some time for yourself. He answered me in a very bad way. After 1 week again today, I politely asked him and offered him the same. He said he already shipped it. It turned out he just hand it to the fedex guy after 5 hour ago (hours after I spoke to him). I can feel there is something wrong from the beginning and at that time, honestly I'm not after deck anymore. The last thing I need is a surprise. This is the same thing that happened 4 weeks ago with the Denon deck. Turn out the deck wasn't operating and he sold it to me while he was trying to screw-driver it while I'm waiting for 2 weeks. I found out on another site. If things didn't turn out right, who's fault it is? me of course. Why did I buy there?
    In the other hand reverb is the opposite story. I can easily vouch for that site. The owner, the staff they are all honest. I seriously encourage you guys to buy there. That's where you wanna go. I have guitars that I sold there easily with normal buyers. Right before I bought my 2nd property I unloaded almost 75K worth of vintage guitars. I feel 100% confident that things will be fair. Reverb doesn't allow any abusers either buyer or seller. You make one bad intentional move to take advantage of someone, your out. Seriously and I've seen this happen twice. A buyer wanna try to rip me off like the way how they do it in the other place. That guy stepped in, he closed the deal. fair for both sides. I didn't hear any activity from the uys and its been 4 years now, LoL... That's how you do it. The ole American Way!
    I wont sell anything like that on ebay. Maybe if I wanna sell something that has no value.. LoL.... But knowing myself, I wont do that...

14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Where did you see 100us for Ferrichrome? All decks I know of that had a FeCr or Type 3 setting used 70us for playback. The tapes were recorded, various right or not so right ways, for playback with existing "chrome" 70us.
    100us might have been better and optimal if the whole FeCr system was designed from scratch, but that is not what was done. The industry was basically standardized to using 70us playback for real chrome, doped "chrome" and then metal, all 70us playback.

macster likes this.
  15. Classic Car Guy

Me! LoL... Seriously. Guaranteed nowadays who owns a deck that has ferri-chrome capability. Probably very few and doesnt even use it. I recorded a lot of ferri-chrome. The reason why is you have to set the recording so when you run it on other decks even with out a ferric-chrome setting,, it will sound good. Its all about the larger picture..:nauga:
    [​IMG]

john morris likes this.
  16. john morris

Later on they standardized the Type 3 to 70us. But according to Classic Car Dude Type 3 started at 100us. Not every deck had a EQ switch. A few decks back in the mid 70's had a EQ knob that went from 50 to 150us.

Look, I don't want to argue about this. This is information that I read on here. I suggest you post your Type 3 commnets to Clasic Car Dude on the Type 3 issue.

:righton:

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. john morris

Thank you sir. I am only learning about Type 3 eq. From your post it appeared that 100us was the right setting for Type 3 but later they switched to 70us to be compatible with all other decks. Although I can't imagine what was the issue with having a Eq Switch with 70, 100 and 120us settings?

Edit: It reminds me of video manufactures dropping the LP speed on VCRs.

18. john morris

Reverb sells professional audio equipment. Such as:

Sony PCM DASH 3324A

SSL 4098 G / G+
    120 channel fully automated analog mixing board. A while back a 4098 G / + went for
    $250 000 US on REVERB. Did not come with 3 1/2 inch floppy disks needed for storing automation data. Sorry...... :(

Studer A800-24

Studer A827 Gold Edition.

Most of their clients are professionals. Or fat-sickly-tired professionals like myself. If a known audio engineer bad mouths a selling site they are done and cooked. Reverb is run well because it is run by persons like myself.

As for Ebay. The Nad I saw was completely restored. And some components upgraded. Seems like you attract these "actors." Some of the Naks on Ebay even say "restored by Willy Herman."

You get what you pay for. If you have paid $1200 for a restored Nak 582 then you get a well oiled machine that works perfectly. You buy a $150 Nak 582 then well....Good luck.

19. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Another contender, the Luxman K-03.
    Maybe the best sounding deck that I have been able to listen to.

norliss, johnny q, Pinknik and 3 others like this.
  20. john morris

Now this is what I call a cassette deck! Looks like Luxman asked God to help them build the thing. Perfection. Notice the subsonic filter. (Low cut 30 hz ) Very useful for recording vinyl.

VU meters that go to + 10.........Silly...... I LOVE IT!!

johnny q and Steve-Boston like this.
  21. Classic Car Guy

Seems like I'm magnetic to ebay actors. I don't know why man. Ill follow-up on you a bit later. Just taking my cat for a car ride.

john morris likes this.
  22. Classic Car Guy

Not sure man. I didn't check that part. If its on eBay ill respectfully pass.
    True. They go both ways.. One time I had an ad on reverb.. A guy from ebay was telling me how to sell the guitar in writing the ads and how much. As he kept on, it surfaced along the way he got booted out of reverb. At the end of the conversation I just told him "Thank you very much for letting me know what to do.." He replied "Youre welcome."
    :biglaugh:.. Where do you get these guys????
    John I cant wait for you to start making your own cassette decks so we don't have to go for a used one. Seriously!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    john morris likes this.
  23. john morris

Reverb usually executes people like that by hanging. He got off easy.

Working........Maybe another week or so. :nyah:

24. john morris

You need to petion the people at Websters to allow EBAY ACTORS in the 2022 edition.

25. john morris

You can't just generalize every seller on Ebay. Maybe you just had some bad luck.