Tears For Fears Live At Massey Hall To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrewb, Apr 10, 2021.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Record labels sometimes have this weird way of thinking and keeping things secret for longer than necessary.

The point is, I'd rather believe what Steve tells me than what Universal says (or not).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Jagger69, morgan1098 and D-rock like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Thank you!

JulesRules likes this.
  3. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Yep, regardless of the likely instant sellout for RSD, Universal isn’t going to step on whatever (little?) marketing plans they or RSD have for those products. They’ll withhold any formal announcement of a mass market release until sometime after RSD, and potentially well after.

JulesRules likes this.
  4. JulesRules

To underline my point, there is nothing about it on uDiscover (yet?).

But look what I found, a price! https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/tears-for-fears/live-at-massey-hall/cd

jamesc and Curveboy like this.
  5. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Will there be a difference between the cd they will release for RSD and the one after RSD? Will the RSD release have a different packaging or is it numbered? After all it is limited to 750 copies ...

D-rock and JulesRules like this.
  6. JulesRules

I kind of assume there will be some kind of difference... kind of miffed Paul of SDE has not said anything yet...

Jagger69 likes this.
  7. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I have no inside info, but my guess is that it will have a gold or silver RSD sticker on it, and the non-RSD version released later (if that happens) will not have the sticker. I would be shocked if Universal invested in special packaging for a 750-CD run, they're just going to slap a sticker on the regular version.

Jagger69 and JulesRules like this.
  8. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

There must be something different, otherwise it would not make sense. Vinyl RSD releases are sometimes numbered, it would be a collectors item if they would do this with this cd release.

JulesRules likes this.
  9. morgan1098

CDs are weird with RSD. I'm thinking of this R.E.M. EP from a few years ago. It had a sticker on the shrink wrap, but otherwise there was nothing distinguishing it from a regular retail release. And no, it never was released beyond RSD. But aside from the RSD sticker, the packaging was quite generic.

[​IMG]

10. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Rough trade will be selling these online?? That’s what I saw on their website

JulesRules likes this.
  11. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I didn't even know that this R.E.M. RSD release existed :oops: So thanks for sharing !!! Let's wait and see what they are going to do with the Tears For Fears release. I hope that there will be more info about this RSD release very soon ...

ramdom, morgan1098 and JulesRules like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

JulesRules, Jagger69 and NunoBento like this.
  13. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Or most probably it may never get to the website, as it will be sold out in the shops by 6pm.

14. morgan1098

Anyone seen any updates on this release, especially the CD version? :)

jamesc and D-rock like this.
  15. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I guess the update will come after RSD. At least that's my uneducated wild guess.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I was at one of those shows as a very young lad.

JulesRules, JeffMo and rbichamp like this.
  17. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I’ll probably get this seeing as I saw them do the warm up show for this tour (They’re from my neck of the woods and did the first show at the only venue in our small town. Spent a few hours with Roland and used to have some fantastic photos but sadly they got lost over the years :( ). I’m sure they played Change.
    Just as an aside, I also saw them at the tail end of 1982 I believe and amongst the familiar songs they’d debuted some then new ones : Head Over Heels, The Working Hour, Mothers Talk and The Way You Are. It shows how strong those songs were because the melodies from the first two were stuck in my head from the moment I heard them. It was a frustrating long long wait for SFTBC to finally be released so I could hear these tracks again. Think it was nearly 18 months, which is an eternity when you’re a kid. Again, met them briefly after the show and they signed my Suffer The Children 7”. I think I annoyed Roland when he asked me what my favourite song was and I replied with the only one they didn’t play that night, Watch Me Bleed. He gave me a very stern look :)
    Anyway, looking forward to the CD.

D-rock, JulesRules, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  18. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

One thing I forgot to mention is that the shows were filmed as well - some performances made it into the video Scenes from the Big Chair. The video for Head Over Heels was filmed in Toronto during this time as well.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is why I am not a fan of RSD -- 750 copies of an album worldwide? So, maybe 3 or 4 copes per independent store, with consumers/fans having no guarantee of acquiring a copy after standing in line for a couple of hours? Granted, at least this title will be mass-produced later via CD, but for those who want the RSD vinyl, it will be a stressful endeavor trying to snag a copy.

D-rock, Blair G., ihog and 1 other person like this.
  20. JulesRules

The LP is limited to 1500 according to the RoughTrade link, but I'm not sure if that's worldwide... the LP will also be released in Germany (@hEARt PhoniX :))...
    For some reason the encores (Change and Suffer the Children) were unavailable for this release. At least "Change" exists on this radio recording:
    It was obviously 1983 and "The Way You Are" was already played ahead of its release in the middle of the year (e.g. on the Rockpalast show). It's a shame though that there seems to be no surviving recording of the song from that mini-tour, and neither of "The Marauders" which was also supposedly played on the same shows.
    Haha, that must've been awesome! As I pointed out somewhere else, "Watch Me Bleed" is the first song that fell out of the setlist. Listening to the BBC performance I guess it was just too demanding vocally to play every night.
    The wish for a full re-edited concert video of those concerts keeps cropping up on this forum every now and then. Either the footage hasn't held up, or can't be found, or it's simply a too big/expensive/time-consuming task. I don't know. I hope someday something will come of it.

JAuz, NunoBento, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.
  21. hEARt PhoniX

Thanks, I am not interested in the LP, but I am hoping to get the CD. If I miss out I will be getting the general release, so ...
    I guess the LP will one day go for quite some money. But I'd rather someone who really loves vinyl gets one.

JulesRules and D-rock like this.
  22. JulesRules

Yeah, me too. I just thought I should point it out since at the beginning it wasn't clear whether German RSD would get any TFF.

Jagger69 likes this.
  23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Totally agree. Add to this, the fact that it promotes folks flipping the item at 10X the price.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. hEARt PhoniX

I have just received my first ever RSD purchase: Marianne Faithfull's "She Walks In Beauty", on white vinyl, a worthy and high quality package. I did it of respect and to honor her as an impressive artist, as a great woman. I got the vinyl in addition to the just as beautiful CD book. And I coincidentally lucked out and caught one of the 400 copies, at least so they say. I have not yet listened to the album, though. I want to celebrate the the first listen, not just consume it. To bow and curtsy to her in thankfullness. To say goodbye.
    I have only seen her live once. An evening that does still resonate.

This TFF CD may be my second evet RSD purchase. If I will manage to catch one. If not I hope there'll really be the promised edition for general public, I don't expect any significant differences anyway.
    I have never felt the excitement for RSD.

JulesRules and Jagger69 like this.
  25. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

I hate to sound obtuse but when is record store day this year and will my.local stores have this nor is more a luck of the draw and it may or may not even show up in my local store?

JulesRules likes this.