Always up for something new: Roon 1.8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmrife, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

FWIW... Build 790 of 1.8 just broke Tidal connection for me (and froze Roon interface).

Random picks within Tidal cause Roon software to stop working. My Roon core is on a NAS, restarting the Core App on the NAS resets Roon to work again for my own library. Random picks within Tidal replicate the above issue.

Roon has had a series of quick "Hot Fixes" to correct 1.8 issues. I'm not sure they are being adequately tested and the "fixes" are becoming the problem. So, I'll be more cautious of updates in the future.

2. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Yeah. And I think they are going to be more cautious in the future as well.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  3. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I've been experiencing halted playback and frequent app crashes since the 1.8 release. I haven't figured out whether that is directly tied to the new version or if it's due to my internet connection. Anyone else seeing those issues?

4. Kristofa

Just now, actually. I haven’t been able to do any research to see if Roon is seeing the track as corrupt yet, but I had a stutter yesterday as well. Roon remotes are notorious for crashing in my system, so I can’t tell if it is due to any build.

5. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Mine hasn't stuttered or skipped a beat since the 1.8 release. May be because I am running via a Nucleus.

6. Kristofa

I am as well, but my HDD is on the network and not directly connected to the Nucleus.

7. rockin_since_58

I have an SSD in the Nucleus for local files and also stream Qobuz.

8. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

This is my setup, actually.

9. rockin_since_58

Are you running wirelessly or wired on the network? I am running wired and my download speed is about 210mb.

10. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

So how much am I playing with fire using my core on wifi as opposed to ethernet? I'm on a 5G network that gets speeds up to 300 mbps. I've had Roon running for about two weeks and have not had any issues or dropouts. I'm really trying to avoid running wires all over my house hence the wifi. Let me know if I am crazy here.

11. rockin_since_58

I was just lucky that the router is in the same room as my system.

12. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Roon has a lot of complexity, plus some technical debt as a result of software/development stack decisions made years ago that probably made sense at the time for a tiny development staff trying to support so many cross platform use cases.

Reminds me of the old (Russian?) saying, it's not how well the bear dances, it's that he dances at all.

Anyway, it works for me. But, I use all Windows servers and clients, all hardwired ethernet. The Android apps also work fine over wifi on my phone and tablet.

I have used other apps extensively, and tried most all the others. Despite my few gripes with roon, there is no comparison. I feel for the people with edge cases that just don't work for whatever reason. Roon should fix those, or consider reducing the scope of their ambitions and focusing on the platforms/setups that work.

Encore likes this.
  13. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

As you probably know, Roon Labs doesn't recommend using WiFi for the core. But it sounds like you have a fast and reliable connection. I don't think you're crazy to try it and continue using it, given that it works well for you.

14. Mike-48

It drives me a nuts, too, despite its many good qualities. There are many different screens, the paths among them aren't always clear, and sometimes, as you said, a path will lose your place unexpectedly, and it takes a while to get back.

However, I last tried it 5 years ago, and to me, this is much, much better. I might even continue using it this time.

If Roon Labs could afford it, it would be great for them to observe newbies trying to use their software. Then the UI could be changed to avoid the most common frustrations.

Encore likes this.
  15. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I run wired via an Eero mesh router pod.

I should also say that I've recently switched from using the Bridge II network card in my PS Audio DirectStream DAC to going through the Roon Nucleus as my streamer. I don't think that's caused the instability, but I haven't A/B the two setups to know for sure.

16. Kristofa

My external HDD is connected to an iMac downstairs and then connected to my Nucleus+ upstairs via mesh wifi. It works really well most of the time. The 1.8 (build 790) dropouts I am experiencing sound more like corrupted files as they skip around instead of just losing signal, and this has happened more frequently with build 790--I just haven't done research to see if Roon sees those files as corrupt yet. Likely correlation and not causation. The remotes crashing are a different story, but the iPhone remote crashing is quite well documented on the Roon forums website.

I say if anyone has a solid wifi connection, trying Roon core over wifi is definitely worth a shot. Before I got my Nucleus, my Roon core was on the downstairs iMac, and with plenty of RAM, it rarely had dropout issues using a mesh wifi.

17. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I run Roon 1.8 over a mesh wifi network without any major issues. Occasionally, I will get dropouts and I just reboot my computer and the network and the issue goes away. Might happen every month or so.

18. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

Curious what you all think about the 'Focus' tool. I'm new to Roon so am still playing around with it, but on first glance, I found it somewhat of a pain. I tested it with Miles Davis discog hoping just to filter all his albums featuring Wayne Shorter (seems simple enough) but for whatever reason, it never really worked like I wanted it to. I know which albums Shorter plays on but I never saw a full run of what I was looking for. For example, 'In a Silent Way' was missing at one point, then filtering out labels, I got IaSW to show up but then Nefertiti was missing. I was doing this all on my iPhone, so maybe it's somewhat simpler on a desktop? Again, not a deal breaker, but was hoping it would work a little better. Maybe I just need fresh eyes on it.

19. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

In my experience, more complex search options are better done with the desktop. I just tried your Davis/Shorter search on my iPhone and it came back empty, which is wrong.

20. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

Figured I'd drop this here as I am still getting used to the world of Roon and am still working out internal kinks on my end. Right off the bat, here is what I am running

Core: Desktop PC → Roon with Qobuz
    Bridge: Raspberry Pi 4 (running RoPieee)
    Endpoint: Schiit Modius DAC via Pi into my Marantz 2215B Receiver

Ok, I will admit, my core is not connected to ethernet and am using my 5g wifi connection. My desktop is in the same room as my dual band router so I am able to pull consistent speeds of 400 to 475 Mbps. I would hard wire, but I just don’t have a long enough cord to reach my desk to where the router is set up. For the first week I had zero issues with dropouts. That changed yesterday as I had a few random dropouts in the afternoon–nothing changed with my setup and my wifi speed was consistently at the 450 mbps range. Is this just the risk I run with using my core on wifi as opposed to ethernet?

Another very basic question: My core is on my 5G network while my Pi and iPhone (remote) are on my 2.4 network. Could that be causing issues? My understanding is that the stream is based on what network my core is set to (the 5g one in my case). My Pi is in my listening room, while my core is on my office.

21. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

normally wouldn't be a big deal . . .but being on 2.4 does mean you're more vulnerable to interference from things like microwaves that 5 ghz networks don't care about.
    i have devices on my wifi that jump back and forth between my 5ghz and 2.4ghz ssids all the time but roon never has dropouts either way. my core is connected via ethernet, but endpoints are all wifi.

22. Kristofa

Any of you folks have corrupted databases identified after updating to 880? Roon claims it is rare, but there sure seems to be quite a few folks who lost all their years of cleanup work. Me included.

toddfan likes this.
  23. Mike-48

@brendonbourque - You can get a Cat 6 cable and wire your core, probably for under $20. That's what I'd suggest, if only to remove one variable. Roon Labs does recommend a wired connection for the core, as it imports large amounts of metadata, as well as streaming your music.

24. Mike-48

The update went smoothly for me, with no data loss. I am happy about that and sorry to hear people had trouble. I hope you were able to restore you work from a backup.

The improvements to Roon's search are great, though.

25. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

I didn't have any problem at all, but reading the issues posted in the Roon Community, it seems like several folks have that problem. The Roon experts are quickly pointing out that is a customer hardware/software issue, I'm not buying that.

Peace,
    Tony

Mike-48 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.