What Resources Do You Use To Add Quality Album Artwork To Your Digital Library?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mwheelerk, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I also lined up CD covers against the edge of the scanner bed so as to have them not need straightening if at all possible. You want to be able to trim them quick and easy. If they are all laying perfectly straight it's so much easier to trim them.

I also have software that can do the trimming automatically. It just grabs the CD cover image and nothing around it. That is great for one single image.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm not saying that at all. Just saying that the higher quality images I do take a lot of time and can be tedious to do. I also do some of my images in a quick and dirty style when I don't want to take the time or bother for it. I'll upload my quick and dirty cover images to Discogs if Discogs doesn't have a better image.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Mine are not quick and dirty like you called some of yours. They are clean sharp and neat. If the booklet cover is in great shape and the glass clean and scanner working well, they need not be dirty but nice 600dpi scans..

4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

By an admin apparently.

5. robort1998

robort1998 Well-Known Member

What i do is go to some sites on the internet that upload music and search for the vinyl rips that have scans, these scans are usually very big in size and resolution (7400x7400 and 80 - 120 mb) and download only the scans.
    I import only the front cover to photoshop and process them with a descreen filter to remove the printing pattern, fix the colors and other stuff, when i'm done i resize the images to 3000 x 3000 and end with a 2-3 mb file that looks better that almost anything else that i can find.
    But if i can't find vinyl scans i use a program called Album Art Downloader and search for the best looking image.

6. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

MusicBrainz has really high quality scans of artwork for most albums I spent about a week or so updating all my artwork to high quality scans from there using AAD though in some cases iTunes would have higher res artwork so I would use that instead.

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

For those with scanners or considering purchasing a used scanner for which Win10 drivers don't formally exist, one can try installing a previous OS driver in compatibility mode. This is what I tried successfully for a Canon scanner I have owned for 10 years - used Win7 compatibility mode associated with the Win7 driver exe install file.

Doug

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm very anal about picture quality in my iTunes

I use Google Images, and pic the best one.

9. robort1998

robort1998 Well-Known Member

I don't know how to use the MusicBrainz site but the Album Art Downloaded app usually has scans from there and iTunes almost always has good quality scans.

10. AirJordanFan93

Its more of a pain to source the artwork from the MusicBrainz site. With AAD it just pulls all the associated artwork for an album in the app. I got Front, Back and Disc for my albums that way. Though its a pain when MuiscBrainz doesn't have a HQ scan of certain artwork and you have to settle for a lesser scan from Discogs for Back cover or Disc artwork.

robort1998 likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

Going on two years later I read your post and finally realize why I couldn't do this. I was working from the Tidal App on my MacBook. I went to Tidal.com and tried your suggestion and bingo! Works like a champ. Thank you so much. Save much tedious work that I have been doing.

elvisizer and seastman like this.
  12. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I’m surprised at the size of the high-res images from the iTunes Store. I found one recently that was 4800 x 4800! 3000 x 3000 is fairly common.

13. AirJordanFan93

There some obscenely high-res artwork on iTunes. The Springsteen albums are really high-res I think Born in the U.S.A. is 5000x5000

Galley and Get2Me like this.
  14. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

How do you extract the artwork image files from the iTunes store?

15. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

elvisizer and Get2Me like this.
  16. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Album Art Downloader for Windows can also find and download images from the iTunes store and other sources.

Some of the iTunes artwork can be 3000x3000 or even larger. Generally high quality images. But it also seems like iTunes sometimes enhances the colors more than other sources with the same image. I'm not sure if Apple is intentionally altering the image to make the colors pop more or what is going on. Many of the images that Apple get and other sources get are CMYK and need to be converted to RGB to be used as album art. It's possible that Apple is using a different color profile for the CMYK to RGB conversion and that's why the colors look different compared to other sites (like Qobuz, Deezer, etc).

18. AirJordanFan93

I have noticed that in the past when I have used iTunes sourced artwork its always made it slightly off-putting to me despite how high-res their art might be.

19. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

Gracenote via Sony Music Center (also used to do this with Xperia phones before Sony sadly removed that capability), Deezer, CTDB (otherwise known as Discogs), VGMDB, and at times scans I make if there's nothing good enough out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.