The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

There was an attempt in 1998 by some Japanese company to get Dolby SR approved for consumer use. Nothing came of it.

Uncle Jack had thought of this a few years go but the quality parts just aren't there any more to build a 3 head cassette deck with the quality of a Dragon or a Dragon Slayer (TCD 3014). The age of the cassette deck is over. Sorry.

2. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

When I was young I was really fascinated by blank cassettes and bought a nice TDK metal. I tried using it in my Sansui 3110 but it wasn’t having it at all!

3. john morris

Well, I wouldn't be surprised. Your SANSUI 3110 tape deck CAN'T RECORD on Metal tape. One clear look at the front control panel makes that very clear, and the manual clearly indicates that it cannot use Type 4 (Metal tapes). Metal tapes require more than just a different EQ setting (70us), but the Type requires a lot more bias than Chrome (Type 2).

Question sir. You knew from the manual and the deck's front panel that your 3110 machine could not use Metal tape. So why did you buy a Type 4 tape and try to record on it? Or were you just curious?

CDV likes this.
  4. Hardcore

I was very young, around 7 or 8 and bought the cassette in a store thinking it looked cool. I didn’t have enough understanding to consider the it might not be compatible with my deck, so found out the hard way!

Vinny123, trd, myles and 1 other person like this.
  5. john morris

This deck gives me wood. It has to be the best cassette machine ever made.

1. Not VU meters as I had originally thought but MECHANICAL AVERAGE PEAK METERS. That go from -40 db to + 10 . That is a silly range. Totally neccessary and I LOVE IT. :edthumbs: You really only see mechanical average peak meters on professional equipment. You rarely see them on consumer equipment. With the exception of: Nackamachi, Tandeburg And these cool dudes. Most efficient way to read the average and peak level of a recording level.

2. A BUILT IN DEMAGNETIZER
    I don't know any other company that does this. With one wierd exception -
    The Sony 3324 PCM DASH multitrack recorder has a built-in demagnatizer. But the 3324 is digital and it cost $125 000 USD back in 1982 which was more than 5 times the price of good analog 2 inch 24 track back then.

3. All manual settings for calibration..

My only issues with this machine are:
    1. No way to turn the Dolby HX Pro off
    2. No output level. This is important when you need to compare the signal between he source and what was coming off the tape.
    3. I can't afford it!

Nitpicking really.. If I could buy that machine brand new and I had the money. YEA!!! I WANT IT!!! :edthumbs::goodie:

Steve-Boston likes this.
  6. john morris

I understand. You were a dreamer like me. Still a good cassette machine for the period.
    25 - 16 000 hz with Type 3 tape.. Not bad!

McLover and Hardcore like this.
  7. Hardcore

It was wonderful, I used it into my mid teens. Great VU meters, mic in, built like a tank. So much fun as a kid into cassettes.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    john morris likes this.
  8. john morris

Actually they are mechanical average peak meters. Take note of the big "DB" written on the lighted back panel.. You usually only find mechanical peak meters on expensive pro equipment from Europe.

You must have taped loads of stuff off of FM radio as I did. Fun!

Hardcore likes this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

John... Ill catch up with you guys later one. I been so busy plus taking care of my cat too while working in between. I see your postings I just couldn't spend time here. Talk to you later. say hello to the actors...

john morris likes this.
  10. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A high performance deck from 1982, the TEAC V-1RX.
    John Morris won't like this one, its a DBX II deck.
    This was TEAC's flagship model from 1982 - 1984
    The deck was designed for performance, no auto reverse.
    Overall frequency response with metal tape: 20-20,000 Hz
    CrO2: 20 - 19,000 Hz, normal tape: 20 - 18,000 Hz
    S/N @ 3% THD Dolby B: 70 DB over 5 kHz, 65 DB under 5 kHz
    S/N with DBX type II, 92 DB
    Direct drive capstan, 3 motors, Three head, W/F: 0.025%
    This was my main deck for many years. I loved recording with it.

CDV, jusbe and clhboa like this.
  11. John, believe it or not this was not their top of the line deck.
    That I believe was the K-05 that featured auto calibration. A very rare machine.

john morris likes this.
  12. john morris

The actors miss you.....

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  13. john morris

Mmmmm.....Not a big fan of auto-calibration.
    My 1983, 3 head Denon DRM3 has auto-calibration. The best results come from manual calibration. Just my opinion. No "auto-calibration" on 2 inch 24 tracks.

O.k. that is not completely true. The Studer A800-24 Mark -1 (1973) marked the first analog multitrack with auto-calibration. Before you had to set the bias and level of every track. Took 30 minutes easy if not longer. The Studer A800-24, Mark 1 made matters simple. You set all tracks at once but you still had to manual set the bias and level. So that is not really auto-calibration in the sense of what we are talking about here.

Any modern multitrack (8 tracks and up) have a similar calibration function. The exception are the Stephen multitracks - you have to set every track manually. Think about it.....The poor TECH guy working at the studio of Thomas Roy Baker (of Queen) had to set the bias and level of 80 tracks. Baker used 2 Stephens' 40 track recorders in synchronization. There is a good reason why NEWS OF THE WORLD and THE GAME aren't getting the 5.1 mix.

McLover likes this.
  14. john morris

Hey, it has Dolby B. So you can always dump the DBX thingy. I don't like the meter design. But I suppose it has a kick-ass motor.

Their best? And it can't even pull 20 - 20 000 hz +-3db with Type 2 tape. Mmmmm......As long as you were happy with it. They can't just write down a frequency response without a number reference after it. Without the number the listed 20 - 19 000 hz is meaningless.

Let me make myself clear. LOL..... DBX is great.....When IT WORKS. But so often it doesn't.
    Many members on here have had bad experiences with DBX.

Steve-Boston likes this.
  15. Classic Car Guy

Hey John,
    I need you advise on this one. I got a deck here that I really like and would like to maintain it. 1980 rotel . Nothing special about the deck besides silverface. Seems like I'm gonna have a hard time getting the rest of the parts. Belts are easy but the drive mechanisms are consist of tire driven mechanism instead and its like 4 of them. It will take me while to locate these. There is still some inthere but considering this is 40 years old so I better make plans for a replacement soon. Is there a right way of reviving and maintaining this for now? Atleast I wanna get "close" in doing it the right way before I get the full replacement in no time.

16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

IIRC, decoding the DBX encoded multitracks of Steely Dan's "Katy Lied" album caused no end of problems. They were never solved by the DBX factory engineers either, so the final sound was a compromise.
    Denny Dias tells the story here - not sure if he got all the technicalities correct, however
    Katy and The Gremlin

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The mention of DBX made me think of a DBX unit that I had back in the early 80's. I did a quick Google search and came up with the DBX 118. It looks like the unit I had but not 100% sure. Most likely bought it from Tech HiFi in the Boston area.

[​IMG]

John Buchanan likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'd imagine what happened to Katy Lied thanks to dbx discouraged a bunch of acts from ever going anywhere near their product.

Anybody have a list of commercial recordings that actually were done with dbx?

jusbe likes this.
  19. john morris

I get cold sweats just reading that link.
    DBX bad news.....Don't use....or you will be poo pooed.

Gee, contracting the $*&%!@ engineers at DBX!
    Never had that option. We told one client a few years back that had 3 albums on DBX Type 2 - Forget remixing! The DBX 2 inch 24 track tapes just wouldn't behave.

20. john morris

Wait for the new parts. Please.

21. Classic Car Guy

That's a good advise. What about maintain plastic parts like gears and wheels. I don't mine applying it in long term. I was thinking about leather cream or conditioner..

22. Classic Car Guy

I tried recording Falco on any of his albums, it "wont" sound great...:shrug:

23. john morris

Sorry, but I didn't understand your post. Could you rephrase Classic Car Dude.

24. john morris

DBX is great...When it works.

25. Classic Car Guy

Hi John,
    Sorry I been so occupied. Too much work and not enough pay for a nice cassette deck. By the way this is my new deck Nothing special...
    The good news is "It's Friday" and tonight is recording night. I get that album ready "Everybody's forking on the weekend" I just gotta feed the kitty first and we'll have a chat.
    How's everything?
    [​IMG]

john morris likes this.