The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Cool post, that was a nice watch! For the possibly uninitiated, I STRONGLY recommend "Staying A Life", a live 2CD recorded during the Metal Heart tour and a fantastic proof of vintage Accept live powers.

2. Pangolino

Pangolino Forum Resident

I haven't heard "Salentino Cuts", but received the Saxon "Inspirations" CD in the mail a couple of days ago. "Paint it Black" as an opener kills the album right off the bat. I got about a minute and a half in before I clicked "stop". I never need to hear that song again by anyone. Even if they just HAD to put it on the album, why lead with it? I read the words "Speed King" on the back cover, for the love of Christ. I skipped to that next. It's okay. "The Rocker" is better, though Biff really isn't like Phil Lynott (who is, really) and his delivery doesn't work that well. He does better with "Hold the Line" by Toto. I don't remember the original, though the tune is familiar. "Problem Child" is good, too. It's energetic, and Saxon could teach a master class on "get-out-of-my-way" songs. I was happier to hear "See My Friends" than I would have been if they'd done "Tomorrow Never Knows". "Immigrant Song" went in one ear and out the other. Maybe the rhythm isn't interesting? Why did that not work? I don't know. "Paperback Writer" is unexpected. It's occurring to me that the production of this album isn't very good, and lets down this song. It's not bad. I only know the Black Sabbath version of "Evil Woman", but Biff does a good Ozzy-style vocal. It's one of the best songs on the album. Again, the production is not great. Their version of "Stone Free" is... okay? "Bomber" is pretty good. Why doesn't this album sound fun? Did they use a click track?

As far as all-covers-albums go, the Baron Rojo covers CD "Perversiones" had some interesting song choices ("Pictures of Home" by Deep Purple, "What's Next to the Moon" by AC/DC, "Assault Attack" by Michael Schenker Group among them) and I'm glad I have it. I also managed to get hold of a copy of "Party Killers" by Raven (what a track listing on THAT!), but it hasn't arrived yet so I have no idea. I can't imagine it not being great, though.

Jimmy Agates and slipkid like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I listened to Change The World today and I thought it was outstanding. What didn't you like about it?
    Yeah, I really think Harry and Pete put everything into this one...

The Death of Me

paradox55 likes this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have a like for covers...maybe not full albums but covers can be fun.
    But yeah, I walked away from Inspirations with a bad taste. The only song I thought was good was Bomber.

While not metal I did enjoy Kim Wilde's Snapshots as that had a diverse track list (Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)

But the last metal one I can think of that I still listen to often is Yngwie Malmsteen's also called Inspiration.

In The Dead of Night

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I haven't listened to it in a while but I do remember that it lacked a certain vigour or energy that is present in their best material. It sounded pedestrian and kind of phoned in like they were making it strictly to fulfill a contractual obligation.

My faves from them:
    Harem Scarem
    Moodswings
    Weight of the World
    Higher
    Human Nature
    United

spacedyed and Curveboy like this.
  6. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

I've felt HS hasn't really been "into it" since Weight of the World -- every album before that had great energy, and every album had a different energy, from the AOR of the first album to the grungy Voice of Reason and then power pop as Rubber. But to my ears it sounds like they've been making the same exact record since WotW. It's not a bad record, but I've gotten bored.

For me:
    Mood Swings
    Karma Cleansing
    HS
    Voice of Reason
    Weight of the World
    Big Bang Theory
    Rubber albums
    the rest

Deuce66 likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

And that may be...I'm a "new" fan thanks to this board, so I'm still wading through the back catalog. But I think the playing and Hess' voice on the new one are pretty spectacular.

I do find their writing (overall) to be fairly formulaic, so when something like Riot In My Head comes along I really enjoy it.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Speaking of covers, we already talked about this, but I love Biff's cover of Scarborough Fair (go figure):

That is from his most excellent School of Hard Knocks album which is one of my fave albums of 2020. Most of that is originals but it also has a killer cover of Wishbone Ash's Throw Down the Sword. Based on the success of Biff's covers on that album I thought this Saxon covers album might be OK but instead found it to be a tedious listen.

[​IMG]

lenny nero and Jimmy Agates like this.
  9. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I'd highly recommend the new Sweet Oblivion CD featuring Geoff Tate on vocals. The first one saw a return to a more Queensryche sound and this one ups it a notch further.

10. Jimmy Agates

Yeah from what I've heard of the Saxon covers CD i'll be avoiding it at all costs - this coming from someone with over 40 albums including live, studio and comps :-/

slipkid likes this.
  11. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

This is my fave track from it as well.

slipkid likes this.
  12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

13. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

14. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Curve, slight aside: do you have all this music on physical software or do you submit to Satan's transmission network (for some of it?)

I literally can't keep up! :sweating:

15. I wonder when this so called 42 disc boxset of all things Judas Priest drops...Will there actually be a full Unleashed In The East live recording as per the original gigs?
    I have the original and the expanded remaster...and a super black market jobbing via an old website but surely this deserves the fully treatment like UFO's recent Strangers In The Night??
    Here's Evil Fantasies from that said Japan 2 gigs....apparently with Robs original vocals. You can tell he's got a cold or something by the way of the introduction.
    By the way...this is the only version you get a spoken introduction...same as the Blistering live version of Delivering the Goods. Both can be found on the B-side of the 12" single Living After Midnight.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I mainly buy CD's...rip them to Apple Lossless then file them away.
    If something is of passing interest to me I will usually go for a CD quality download (and they are usually much cheaper.) Rarer still will I shell out for a HD download.

The only streaming I may do is to hop on YouTube to check something out.

I keep two external hard drives and have cloud back-up (which I debate keeping...but my fear is that a fire will one day wipe me out.)

Trillmeister likes this.
  17. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I'm sure some of this computer based 'tech' is perfectly superb but like the LP collector of 1983 perceiving the arrival of the appalling shiny digital discs du jour, I'm instinctively biased against music carriage via non-physical software.

Probably illogical but there we go!
    :cheers:

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  18. Jimmy Agates

I also have this in the Singles Cuts 20CD box!

Yam Graham likes this.
  19. Do both tracks have the spoken intro's??
    I presume it's a copy of the 12" Living After Midnight single?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Jimmy Agates

Evil Fantasies has Robs intro...Deliverin' The Goods goes straight into the song.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. On the 12" single Rob says..."delivering the goods...." and they go straight in..without Glenn's short Wah, Wah intro like on the remastered Unleashed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Jimmy Agates

Yeah I remember my old 7" was the same with Rob announcing the song title

Yam Graham likes this.
  23. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Fans of Staind might be interested in this. From a show last week here in DFW.

24. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

still waiting for him to get back where he belongs, not this country garbage. i liked his first full length album a little bit, but after that, it is just bad..........
    and mix that with his views and other things, i'll say a big NO THANKS

Stormrider77 and MikeInFla like this.
  25. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

lenny nero and Matthew Tate like this.