An appreciation of "That Thing You Do!"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 25, 2014.

1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

You know what you need? You need to sample the exquisite cuisine of the Far East. Well, we're right on time.

Chris DeVoe, Jamey K and BZync like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fat chance of ever seeing a reunion movie of That Thing You Do...would have been great!

3. MarkTheShark

What if they did a movie about the Wonders being approached by TJ Lubinsky for one of those "My Music" specials.

O Don Piano, craig4755 and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

anything will be good for me.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It'd be very easy to make a sequel to "TTYD" - just have the middle-aged musicians reunite and go on a package tour with other one-hit 60s bands.

I'm eternally grateful that Tom Hanks has not done this, though.

"TTYD" is a special little gem, and a sequel would never come close to the onederful nature of the original.

It's like the Spinal Tap projects. Some were fun, kinda, but they weren't fun enough to feel like they didn't somewhat cheapen the perfection of the film... :shrug:

6. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

This was my favorite thing from the pandemic. I've watched it a couple of times since. Both of my 20 something kids love the movie. My Marine watched
    several times when he was deployed.

7. Michael

yes, that was most excellent!
    and thank your Marine for me for his service.

Jamey K likes this.
  8. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I will. He can do the entire script as the movie plays.

Michael likes this.
  9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I agree, but I remember reading that Shearer, McKean, & Guest had to put out some kind of Spinal Tap product periodically in order to legally continue to be able to use the name. Then there was a lawsuit by them regarding merchandising royalties and it likely helped their legal standing that they continued to utilize the creative property. Rob Reiner supported them. I don't know all of the legal details, but I don't think anyone put their hearts into the various Spinal Tap projects, as it was all partially a legal maneuver.

Even if the principals had put their best work forward, it still would have felt a bit cheapened.

10. Michael

me too! that's how much I love this movie...I can relate. ; )

Jamey K likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's That Thing You Do. This is What I Do.

12. Oatsdad

I don't begrudge MM, HS and CG their attempts to capitalize on "Tap", and if people enjoyed these endeavors, that's cool.

It just felt like the movie was the proverbial lightning in a bottle and no followups could ever live up to it.

I see "TTYD" the same way. There's just no way "That Thing You Do... Again!" would be 1/1oth as good.

Some movies spawn sequels readily, and some are best left alone. I've always been grateful Spielberg refused to make a sequel to "ET", as the story it told was so perfect as it was!

13. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Or as the star of The Chris Isaak Show.

14. Oatsdad

How much did that show get? I never saw it!

15. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

they did a piece on this on Entertainment Tonight a week or two ago, related to 25th anniversary. I wish they would have mentioned and remembered Adam Schlesinger also in that same piece

Comet01, yesstiles and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

missed that! is there a you tube link?

17. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

yes, there is, it's pretty short. I think it's a very pleasant movie, and the song is also very memorable

ZackyDog, mdm08033 and yesstiles like this.
  18. telliott

telliott Senior Member

The theatrical version of the movie is free on Youtube. I hope it's available to everyone. I have YT Premium.

19. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident Thread Starter

BobbyG likes this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I think it's a great movie with an equally great soundtrack. I prefer the original, theatrical release (right) as opposed to the extended cut (left).

[​IMG]

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Like a lot of extended cuts, they're a good option for those who are completely familiar with the standard cut, and just want more. But they're not a good choice for people who've never seen them the original. In many cases, the editor did the director a favor and tightened the story and pacing up quite a bit.

troggy, Michael and ZackyDog like this.
  22. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I'm usually in that camp of wanting more. But in this case, less is more for me.

23. Michael

I can't imagine any musician who was in a band or in a band currently not being moved by this wonderful movie! I love the Directors Cut best...

Upsiditus, Comet01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Michael

If I could I'd have a Directors Cut Director Cut! Cannot get enough of this movie...

25. MarkTheShark

That would indeed be interesting, but at least the Wonders have reunited a few times.

ZackyDog and Michael like this.