EAC vs CueTools vs. dbPoweramp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by buzzy, Apr 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean.

Actually not just classical, but also select JP OST collections from the past two decades (actually every entry within a series that’s gone on for decades now) and earlier that have these. This place likely isn’t into that sort of material to begin with but I know people elsewhere who are.
    So yea, index markers are actually still in use depending on what the CD is & aren’t really dead. But likely just in JP anyway.
    Saves me a lot of trouble when I encounter CD’s that have numerous sub-tracks (which is a lot that I know).

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The original run of the U.S. Genesis' "Invisible Touch" CD has index markers.

3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

For some real world figures here is a link to the excellent dBpoweramp forum where a user has done an amazing job logging their CD ripping experience.

Some data from my ripping experience

Sevoflurane likes this.
  4. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Was always a big fan of EAC but for some reason the program just stopped working both on windows 8.1 and 10..Tried different laptops.Re-installing /older versions.Nothing worked.In the end i went back to dBpoweramp.Seems a shame after mastering every aspect of EAC.
    dBpoweramp is far easier to use, quicker, and gives just as good results,but i do still miss the tweaking and care that i used to take with EAC

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I never really bothered to log my experience, but having ripped 1100ish discs over several weeks, and then continued to rip new purchases as and when I got them, I’d hazard a guess that my experience would be similar. Because I am buying fewer CDs now, my main external ripping drive is in storage, but the internal LG BD reader on my PC [tower PC, full sized drive so easy to replace if it dies] is reliable.

I still use the dBPoweramp format converter for creating standard resolution versions from high res downloads or BD rips, and I am so used to the tagging features of dBPoweramp I use that too.

I know there are free alternatives for all of the functions of dBPoweramp, but having been using it for many years I am so used to it I intend to stick with it. I’ve never regretted paying for it, that’s for sure.

Randoms likes this.
  6. Randoms

A work colleague has used EAC for well over a decade, keeps the Cue sheets, but has never used them. With AccurateRip, FLAC with CRC and back ups, I wouldn't use them either.

7. Randoms

Me neither, though I know the percentage of AccurateRips is 96-97%. Good to see someone log them accurately and come up with very similar figures. A "failure" to achieve an AccurateRip can literally be a single frame.

The longer I use dBpoweramp, the more of the suite I use and the improvements in R17 have been genuinely useful for me. The obvious advantage that an income brings to dBpoweramp is the regular updates - EAC, however good it is has a massive disadvantage being free with at times over the years having little support and bug fixes.

Yes, there are free alternatives, but the time saving over not having to open three, or four additional programs is very real and well worth the small purchase price for something I use so regularly.

8. Grant

When is the last time you updated it? How about your hardware? I've never had a problem using any of those programs in any version of Windows. I always grab the latest versions from the website.

9. Randoms

Here's an update history: What’s new » Exact Audio Copy - gaps in the support.

10. Grant

Despite the changelogs, I never encountered any issues that pertained to how I use the program.

11. Randoms

I'm pleased it works very well for you. EAC is very good and I have tried newer versions. I simply prefer the flexibility, features and ease of use of the dBpoweramp package - it is rather more than just CD Ripper.

Like a few others, I do keep EAC 0.95 pre-beta 3....

Grant likes this.
  12. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I always downloaded the latest version but cannot get the program to open when i click on the EAC icon.Tried all different ways to open the program with no luck.This started about 2 years ago out of the blue.Just one day EAC wouldn't open.Any new install of the program will now not open either.Haven't tried lately might see if the very latest version will work

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I even bough the family plan, which is for loading dBPoweramp on multiple computers. The owner said that the regular one will do the same, and can be used on infinite computers at the same time. But they he appreciated people paying a bit more to do just that. I felt good about it, helping a very nice piece of sw survive and thrive.

I've never paid again to use any of the dBp upgrades offered since everything is working fine for me. I rather invested in Tag and Rename (for tagging corrections we all need to do at some point), and DVD Extractor, for ripping DVD-A discs to FLAC including multi-channel discs.

14. Grant

It's possible that you have a Windows/security setting that is not allowing you to open the program. I take it you are downloading it from the legit website?

enfield likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Or maybe roll back to an older version and not update. You never know.

enfield likes this.
  16. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

Wait, so not only do you have to pay for it, but it’s also subscription-based?

MP3tag is a thing though. Does this have anything over that?

17. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I wouldn’t say it is subscription based, but after a while, upgrades aren’t free. You don’t have to upgrade, though.

quicksrt and Spitfire like this.
  18. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Yes from the official website.Think i have checked my security settings but will check again.

19. Randoms

MP3tag is excellent and I've used it alongside dBpoweramp for years (though the latest update has confused me at the moment) and as I get more right first time now, the need for tag editing is much reduced.

You pay the once for dBpoweramp, though the bug fixes and incremental improvements 17.1, 17.2, 17.3 etc. are free.

You are offered a discounted upgrade price from for example R15, or R16 to R17, though R16 continues to work extremely well.

Grant, mj_patrick and patient_ot like this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Right. I bought R16 at a 50% discount using a coupon I found online. It was $20 to upgrade to R17. I waited awhile to do the upgrade because the older version worked fine. R17 did add a couple new features, but one could just continue using R16 if they wanted to.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, it is possible to migrate a license from one computer to another. I recently replaced my computer and just moved the license over to the new one.

luckybaer, Grant and Randoms like this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I gladly paid for it. And major upgrades are not free. So you could call that subscription-based if you like.
    You might want to try T&R, as many folks like it. I certainly fell in love with it.

luckybaer likes this.
  22. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

If EAC is to difficult to set up, the developer Andre, also has an easier program, Easy Audio Copy. You might want to give it a look. Easy Audio Copy

jfeldt and GhostEMP like this.
  23. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I like cueTools on Windows...XLD on OSX. Obviously YMMV. I've used EAC for some troubled damaged discs before--I don't remember it being able to get it ripped--but I did remember it trying all night or something. A for effort.

24. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

Don’t have a need for it ATM, fine with current tagging software.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

EAC was the cat's ass for a decade and had no real rival. Nero chipped away a few users, and then it seems no dBpowerAmp has taken the lead when AccurateRip is utilized.

I really hoped CueTools was going to be a magic bullet for me. But we are lucky we have so many tools at our disposal.

I may have already listed my faves in the tool box:
    GoldWave - for recording, and cuts, fades
    Vegas- video editor, for crossfades and complex composing / assembly / rendering
    ClickReair - for pop and tick removal
    IMG Burn - for CD/ DVD burns on Win 10
    Nero Burning Rom - for CD/ DVD burns on all other Win platforms
    dBpoweramp - ripping audio discs
    DVD Extractor - ripping DVD-A discs to FLAC
    dBpoweramp - DVD Batch Converter - converting all audio file types to other audio file types
    Tag & Rename - metadate tag corrections
    JRiver Media Player - large batch tagging corrections. 1000s of files stamped at one click. I like it for DSD / DSF audio files.

econalan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.