50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ants

Ants Forum Resident

Thinking about it again...
    On Take 17 of Helter Skelter (fast version), just after the count-in, you can hear the guitar strings being "hit" in the vocal track (as if the guitar was close to McCartney's microphone):

We've already discussed that, almost without a doubt, McCartney was playing bass on Helter Skelter (and not Lennon), but it's still difficult to figure out how things actually went.
    The same strumming "noise" can be heard on Take 2 of Helter Skelter (picked up by the vocal microphone), when McCartney was playing guitar (and singing).

Also, I find it strange that Harrison was not playing on the basic track (although it wasn't the first time).

tinnox likes this.
  2. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Well as I've stated before, I think it's George on guitar.
    Listen to Baby I Don't Care from the same session, those Scotty Moore guitar licks sound like George to me.

Lewisboogie, Gila and tinnox like this.
  3. Ants

Ants Forum Resident

That's what I thought too, but on the famous Rock Band chatter bits, it sounds like Lennon is present at the session (he can be heard speaking to McCartney, asking how to play the intro, etc.).
    Unless those bits were heavily "manipulated" (and they could've been).

Onder and tinnox like this.
  4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Giving this great album a spin ! George Harrison Bday back in 1943

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I'll give it a spin tonight. 3 lp set.

Happy Birthday Georgie!!

Mesozoic Mike and tinnox like this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My Fab Fav...... It's the only CD-R I have in my truck as backup.

7. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Will be listening to some solo George myself this evening and then the White album.

Happy Birthday George!

8. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

For any US members who haven’t gotten the 4LP set, you may want to check your local Walmart.

I happened to look at their vinyl selection the other day and they had the 4LP box for $45. It wasn’t marked down or anything — that was the sticker price. Seems much lower than the prices everywhere else for this. I’m contemplating on picking it up again to have a sealed copy.

9. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Their online site lists the 4LP set at $73 and the 2LP at $46. What you found might be an incorrect price. Otherwise, that’s a heck of a deal!

tinnox and Embracetheday like this.
  10. Embracetheday

It was definitely the 4 LP so you could be right about it being mislabeled. I would be interested to know if anyone else finds a similar deal in their area.

tinnox likes this.
  11. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My Walmart had two "White Album-4 LP" sets & I bought one. The price was $45. If anyone is interested in getting this, go to the store & don't trust their app. I looked it up & it said "Unavailable in your store".

[​IMG]

Embracetheday, tinnox, FJFP and 4 others like this.
  12. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

This kind of stuff at Walmart has been going on for decades. Twenty years ago when the internet was just starting to take off and there was no such thing as streaming I lived 10 minutes from a Walmart and it was my favorite spot to shop for dvd's. More often than not I would find something mispriced.

Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Back when Walmart used to have flyers, a Bluray I wanted was advertised at a great price but when I looked in-store, it was regularly priced. I asked the cashier to check the price and he confirmed the regular price was correct. I stood my ground and argued for a bit to what seemed like no avail until I threw around phrases like false advertising and he finally caved. Good times.

14. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Yes, that's actually "bait and switch" which is illegal. Like you, I've argued that in Wal-Mart before.

Lewisboogie, Manapua and tinnox like this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It's happened enough times in Walmart that I pay extra attention at the check-out.

16. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

In my province, that's actually illegal. Unless they post an error message at the entrance, they have to sell it at the lower price.

tinnox likes this.
  17. Embracetheday

Glad you found it at that price! A real bargain.

tinnox likes this.
  18. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

49.97 at my local Walmart for the four-LP

tinnox and Embracetheday like this.
  19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I had two bought for me at that price last night, in Atlanta.
    Plus your “sales tax”.

Still, ridiculously cheap. Could be months before I get them, mind.

tinnox likes this.
  20. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I don’t think they were mispriced though. The price tag even says 4-LP deluxe

tinnox likes this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Indeed it does.

[​IMG]

TonyClifton63 and tinnox like this.
  22. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I am so playing this tonight after the kids go to bed. All the recent posts make me wanna spin this

23. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

FWIW, I also found a copy this week of the 4-lp The Beatles and Esher Demos at the local Wal-Mart under $50, so that is the going rate - best price I've seen.

Bill, AnalogJ and tinnox like this.
  24. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Yea, I was in Walmart and saw same set for 49.95. Glad you found one at a good price!

tinnox likes this.
  25. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Thanks to those who posted about the WaMart 4-LP set. My local store has let their vinyl stock dwindle to almost nothing but today I saw they had two copies of the 4-LP set for $49.88 each. (And the WalMart price sticker clearly identifies it as the “4LP DLX SET,” so this isn’t a pricing error on the part of the stores.)

AnalogJ, tinnox and Embracetheday like this.