Sony Playstation 1 -- WOW-WOW!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hypnotoad, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member Thread Starter

I just got my $30-with-shipping Sony Playstation 1 from ebay to replace my old low-end Denon five disc changer. Oh my. Despite everything I've read, I had no idea it would sound this good! This thing is amazing. I keep on trying to get work done and I can't. My music sounds too good! Clearly better than the up to $3000 CD players I have demoed.

Scott LeFaro's bass on Bill Evan's "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" was like a whole new instrument. It really brought on a surge of emotion.

To my ears, somehow drums sound crisper and PRaT is improved overall. It really brought out the impecable rhythem section on the amazing original Jamacian recording of Bob Marley's "Catch a Fire" (a million times better than the original release, by the way -- buy the 2-CD Collector's edition).

As I've heard Senegalese say when congradulating a particularly impressive solo or dance, WOW-WOW!

Evidently this is a cult hit. I know of it from mentions of John Devore's system at trade shows and from Jeff Day's 6-moons Music Lover's series: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/leben2/system_3.html

Make sure you buy the right version. I searched "SCPH-1001" (for the US)

2. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Cool, thats interesting. I have a PS2...is that similar in any way? Never listened to music on it.

3. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I have hooked my PS2 up out of necessity and it sounded really, really bad. The bass was especially bad, sounding very boomy. I'd be interested to hear from others with a PS1.

4. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

2 perfectly working "original" PlayStations I had were thrown in the trash by my Dad. He had a habit of doing things like this...:(

5. Hypnotoad

As is indicated in the article, it is just the PS1 and it is only certain versions of the PS1. In the US, those with SCPH-1001 in the serial number.

The bass is incredible on this thing. wow-wow. I am currently listening to two accustic basses in stereo on Coletrane's Ole. It has been a reference peice for me and it is sounding significantly better than I've ever heard it before.

LesPaul says: "2 perfectly working "original" PlayStations I had were thrown in the trash by my Dad. He had a habit of doing things like this..."

You should send him a link of someone on ebay trying to sell one for $3000. There are a number of people doing so...

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I must have taken apart 7 of those units....

Not a whole lot resides in there. However, a lot of OLDER Sony CD players will give you the wow-wow. Usually beating a recent CD player 5x its original price.

7. LesPaul666

Those were the ones I had, my friend...:agree:

8. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Interesting! I've got an SCPH-1001, so I'll give it a shot sometime.

9. LesPaul666

See...they're not *that* uncommon...
    They just sound good. : )

10. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Here's a story about another loser.....

MY parents gave about 50k worth of Hot Wheels (mine) to the next door neighbor kid who proceeded to trash them in one weekend...

Arrgh!

11. Hypnotoad

Ack! That's much worse. People charge $3,000 for the Playstation 1 on ebay, but they are basically praying on the foolish. You can buy them for $20!

12. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

i noticed none of them have any bids either. I'll be picking up one for sure it wouldn't hurt to try. My Denon 1930CI does great with SACD and DVD-A but could be better with Redbook.

13. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

That sucks! I have a dad who would do the same sheet.

14. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

I've got an old PS1 buried in my bedroom closet somewhere...guess I should dig it out of its hiding place and compare it to my Cambridge Audio 640C sometime.

15. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Those who have one please check it out and tell us all how it sounds for redbook CD playback!

16. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Is it possible to buy a remote and control the thing through that rather than using a game controller and having to connect it to a TV?

17. Hypnotoad

Yes, I had a remote for my PS2 since we use it for DVDs. This remote (Sony branded) works for the PS1 as well. It eats batteries so I am not exactly thrilled with the remote, and it has 20 more buttons than it needs, but it works just fine.

There are multiple remotes available. I am sure there are reviews out there somewhere...

18. dblfntsy

dblfntsy New Member

My friend used a playstation for cd. I thought it sound very bad and would not play cdrs.

19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My Dad did the same thing to me but I understand his motive. He wanted me to concentrate on my studies when I was in school.

20. Hypnotoad

When my wife got home from work at 10:30 (she teaches a night class) I told her the Playstation arrived and that it sounded amazing. She was skeptical. She'd rather I didn't fritter away my money on audio equipment. Sure this is cheap, but she doesn't want me to become obsessed with expensive sound. She is trying to be supportive, but she thinks it is a bit overrated.

After the first few notes, she said "sounds the same to me." After a minute of listening, she said "the bass [Scott LeFarro] does sound really good." We both stopped talking and just sat there and listened for a while. It was intense. I asked her if she wanted to listen to something else. I put on some Reggae. After a few minutes of intense listening she started frowning. I asked her what it was. "Damn. This does sound a lot better."

It is rich and full and alive.

21. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Your comments about the bass reproduction read like the PS1 is boosting some bass frequencies

22. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

That's strange. I used to own a PS1, and I used it as a CDP. I thought it sounded... well, just about the same than my other CDPs...

* Disclaimer - I have never had a "wow" moment with any CDP over another.

23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I had one some years back and sold it on ebay. never tried cd's on it but cant imagine it would be any better than what I own. I mean they are plastic and not built with any kind of quality, although it is a sony.

considering there is video circuitry in it , it makes me skeptical too.

it makes me curious though.

24. Hypnotoad

I think that has to do with my communication skills. I am startled by the purity and clarity of the bass. I noticed it because it was good, not because it was loud. My wife noticed it because she was listening to a bass solo.

I invite everyone to be skeptical. Read the reviews. Set one up if you have a chance. Don't trust me, I'm new to this hobby! It has certainly worked for a number of professional reviewers and John DeVore when he demos his speakers. If it doesn't work for you, I'm sorry, because it'll cost you more money!

fjhuerta: I had never had a wow moment with a CDP before. Not that I had listened to that many CDPs, but certainly $1-3500 CD players at dealers and my friends' $750 NAD CD player.

25. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

My major WOW CD moment was with the Naim CD555...

The bad news is that its $33k, so even with the cool guy reviewer
    accomodation price, I still can't have one!

Closest to analog I've ever heard yet....

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.