Nobody (2021) Starring Bob Odenkirk, Christopher Lloyd,

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheVU, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Brilliant writing for an action picture! That one scene alone sets the snarky swagger for the entire movie. I'm definitely going to buy the BD of this one. I can't get Better Call Saul on my Spectrum package so this movie will suffice.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I didn't have much interest in this even though I'm a huge fan of Odenkirk, but I kept hearing how great it was. So I made it my first in theater movie of 2021 this afternoon. It's a lot of fun for what it is. Christopher Lloyd is great in the few scenes he is in.

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I really want to see this. Just not for $25 rental.

davidb1 likes this.
  4. Tim Lookingbill

Where are they charging that much for a movie rental?

I paid like around $8 at my local theater and I included a $5 tip. First movie theater I've seen provide a tip jar.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That’s the price in Canada to stream it right now from ITunes, Google video, and the Cineplex store. Movie theatres aren’t open here.

$8US is a great price for a movie ticket. It’s more like $12-13US in Canada.

6. Tim Lookingbill

That's messed up.

Does that high price reflect a demand or is that standard for all movies being streamed into Canada regardless of movie popularity or lack there of? I hope there's not going to be a bidding war system in streaming movies now. That would be even more messed up.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

This looks like fun. John Wick meets what the last Rambo flick tried to be.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Should mention again that Vickie and I each pay $21.95 for AMC's A*List program, which gets us three movie tickets a week, in any of their theaters including IMAX, Dolby Cinema and 3D.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  9. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

I'll will enjoy this from the comfort of my recliner when it becomes available in-home. A big Odenkirk fan and, hey, it also has Christopher freakin' Lloyd and Michael Ironside!

10. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I remember being surprised when I heard about Bruce Willis and Michael Keaton going into that genre

altaeria and Leviethan like this.
  11. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Rented it the other day, wife and I enjoyed it. We are big Odenkirk fans. May have to purchase it down the road.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I guess I get to be the voice of dissent. I love Bob Odenkirk so I was eager to see the film. The first 25-30 minutes were quite good, then it was all downhill from there for me. I was excited to see the film because I had read it had wit and humor that raised it above a film of this genre (The "I used to be a killing machine in my former life" genre), but that was definitely not my experience. YMMV.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It’s the standard price. Since new movies have been available to stream at the same time they are in theatre the price has always been $24.99 CAN. Then about 6 weeks later it becomes a regular $6.99 CAN streaming rental.

14. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Rented last night courtesy of Amazon Prime. Great cast, and Odenkirk is as dependable as ever. I'd say it's JOHN WICK with a sense of humor. BREAKING BAD and BETTER CALL SAUL moved Odenkirk into action territory, and NOBODY places him there firmly, as unlikely as it might seem.

polchik, TheVU and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. I thought it was good, not great. It got almost comical in the end which I didn’t care for. Likewise:

the viewer knew he would live due to him being in the opening scenes and the story told as a flashback so it wasn’t as suspenseful as it could have been. Also, he paid what - $20 million in gold - for the factory???

16. I haven't seen it, and I feel it will probably be crap; nevertheless, I'll watch it because it has Bob Odenkirk.

I'm really looking forward to Season 2 of Undone. Now that one is damn good!

17. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Odenkirk was terrific in both The Spectacular Now and Little Women.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

$19.99 is the going rate to stream a new movie in the US. I think the logic is most of the time there are 2-4 people watching the same stream. I saw it at theater for the matinee price of $4.50. And IMO this is a film that would not be as enjoyable on the small screen.

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. I don't know man. It's all personal preference, but I've yet to see a film, at least since the advent of blu rays, that I didn't get into more at home, due to the extra detail, the more intimate setting, less things in my peripheral vision, the ability to get up and take a leak without missing a part of the film, etc.

Home is where the heart is, so it's my heart that I can use to invest more into the heart-of-the-picture when I'm at home. :D

Gems-A-Bems and mmars982 like this.
  20. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

It reminded me of 'Last Action Hero'.
    Great fun.

Chris DeVoe and TheVU like this.
  21. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Loved the trailer. I expect Nic Cage to star in a film like this.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But in reality
    the viewer knew he'd live because that's the way 99% of these movies work. They aren't going to kill off the protagonist - especially not when they might be able to churn sequels! :D

marmalade166 likes this.
  23. I disagree. It was full of every Hollywood Action Hero cliché in the book. The end fight was about paint-by-the-numbers as you can get. C'mon! - his father shows up, too!?

But I agree that it also took chances that paid off.

The film was very well constructed with several nice twists that I'd dare any viewer to see coming. To me this elevated the film one step up above the popcorn fare, but only by a smidge.

Bob Odenkirk that made for a worthy action hero in this picture. Imagine that! I would have never figured, in the days of Mr. Show that Odenkirk would have whittled out this type of career for himself.

All in all, I found the flick entertaining. When I saw that the big shoot 'em battle at the end was paying homage to Tarantino, while also trying to "one up" him, I took it for what it was and rode with it.

This movie would have been a classic in the '80s.

TheVU and kanakaris like this.
  24. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Saul, tired of being on the receiving end, finally gets his own back...I'm sure Bob must have had a lot of fun making this...

polchik likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Three word review ..

Saul Goodman:)

Lightworker and Coppertop Tester like this.