' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Which image? He’s had many!

[​IMG]

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Which one of those were released by his press agent, and which are just selfies?

rikki nadir, Lenny99 and Shawn like this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I understand he threw a bit of a tantrum wouldn't come out of his trailer - a repurposed Costco

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Godzilla vs Ferris Bueller

Lenny99 likes this.
  5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

This would make a good album cover. For who I don't know.

Shawn likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree...that's why I said Iguanazilla. : )

7. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

Considering that most theatres are still closed this movie has been fairly successful, where does it go from here?

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

That famous roar

9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Just saw it in IMAX. Felt like I was back in '90s hell watching Independence Day or Phantom Menace. This was full of the same kinds of dumb, corny and annoying characters. And the same kind of arbitrary plot points full of dumb luck and coincidences. This was a big step down from the much more cleanly structured and tonally consistent King of the Monsters. Try to remember the name of one human in the movie. You probably can't, which is always a sign of poorly written characters.

The first fight in the water was completely absurd. They fire depth charges while Godzilla has grabbed Kong and they only hurt Godzilla? Then a ship capsized and floods, Kong turns it right side up and it instantly drains out? Then they simply turn off their power and Godzilla walks away? He's not Mothra...he's not only attracted by lights. The final battle was better but at a certain point the crashing buildings started looking like they're just knocking over tinker toys. There were too few shots of average citizens screaming, running and reacting so the whole thing started to look like Lego Land. And Kong fighting with an axe made him look like an action figure. It is always so much cooler to see him using found objects and throwing things at Godzilla. That's what cool in some of the Superman movie fights and in the Bourne movies. Give Superman a laser axe to fight with instead...suddenly you're in some dumb Rob Liefeld comic book.

It was just sad seeing the humans carrying Kong around everywhere in chains. He was reduced to the level of a pet. He sure didn't feel like a king. The humans who just kept sneaking around the bad guy's lair and randomly finding all the important stuff were terrible. They served no purpose in the movie. And having them "help" Kong or Zilla defeat the bad guy took away from the awe and power of these monsters. Mecha was a good villain who was pretty much the best character in the movie but for him to be defeated in that stupid way was just insipid.

I see no reason the deaf girl had to be in the movie at all. The "Dian Fossey" lady could've learned sign language to communicate with Kong. I liked the sign language concept, but building the silly "only in the movies" backstory with the deaf girl was a waste of time. Where's the confidence in the premise of this movie when they have to shovel in so many unnecessary human characters that check off every demographic known to man? Kong was better here than in the lousy Skull Island, where he didn't make an emotional connection to anyone. But we're a long way from the magic of Peter Jackson's Kong, who made us understand every emotion he was feeling while keeping his animalistic qualities and not humanizing him.

The visit to the "center of the earth" was the nicest-looking part of the movie. More time should've been spent there. Funny how it's shown to be as dangerous as Skull Island but then at the end the humans just set up a camp there out in the open. And it's really hard to get to but Godzilla can just point his head down and blast a direct hole to exactly where Kong is inside the Earth? That wouldn't pass muster in a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. And even though he can burn up a massive chunk of Earth in seconds he can't use the same laser breath to blow away an ape?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    SandAndGlass and Tree of Life like this.
  10. Are you referring to King Kong Escapes? That was produced by Toho not Rankin & Bass. They did do the 1966 tv series which tied into Escapes.

Psychedelic Good Trip and Shawn like this.
  11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yup. If you can accept Zilla's existence in the first place, then logic is off the table. Anyways, if he can't even contain those damned Mothra larvae, then I can believe Kong would be a serious threat.

12. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

That’s hysterical.

13. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

have you seen Shin Godzilla ?!

DPM and Shawn like this.
  14. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Godzilla and Kong v Jason and Freddie.

rikki nadir likes this.
  15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yes. I saw it in the theater. Liked it but found the heavy amount of subtitles a bit exhausting for me in this flick. I like subtitles and prefer them to dubbing. Still, when I got the Blu-ray I tried watching it with the dubbing and I enjoyed the movie so much more.

Shawn likes this.
  16. Agree. I too saw it in the theater and it was challenging keeping up with the subtitles (and like you, I prefer original audio and not dubbed-to-English). Getting the Blu-ray was fantastic as this is one film where I prefer the dubbed version simply out of necessity.

17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Godzilla vs. Kong vs. Freddy vs. Jason vs. Alien vs. Predator vs. Ecks vs. Sever.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I think that the monster in Shin Godzilla--in its final form--is by far the creepiest version thus far. There's an otherness about it that none of the other versions of Godzilla have. As for the movie, I like it though I think they spent too much time on the government bureaucracy angle. Some of that should have been edited out and more monster mayhem put in. :D

FredHubbard and PH416156 like this.
  19. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

This just in...Godzilla says that if Kong wins for-[Best Performance By A Monster] he'll stage a protest!!

Shawn likes this.
  20. To the moon. Gojira and Kong repel an attack by outer space beings and destroy the alien moon base, to save the world. Following an emergency program by NASA to fit them out with the right suits. The right stuff, in the right suits.

21. It's Gojira. How many times do I have to tell people.

22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Effin' A! Godzilla done grown up!

23. Having Kong nominated is about the only way they’d get me to watch the Academy Awards this year.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

King Kong vs Godzilla. Escapes was produced by Rankin & Basss.

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's MatPat! Everybody's favorite theorist, ready to explain how #WBDidItAgain to another film franchise, and how those extra three hours director Adam Wingard spoke of might have set up subsequent films in a very different way.