New St. Vincent album ("Daddy's Home") to be released May 14th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tlaloc, Feb 24, 2021.

1. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

I still hate the idea that Sleater Kinney had zero agency in the creation of their album. Seems like Corin and Carrie wanted to try something new, brought Annie onboard to do a specific job, and she did it.

If you hate the sound or whatever inner drama caused Janet to leave, take it up with the 2/3 of the band that were responsible for their own album.

GregorSamsa, Pollyjean and linklinc like this.
  2. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

Well of course they had agency, I was slightly overstating things for effect. Nonetheless, it was Annie's longstanding influence that comes out of the record, as well as her (not very good) production work.

3. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I watched the SNL Pay Your Way In Pain again

This time I noticed the spongy synth parts aren’t modern sampling but the bassist playing a full fledged mini moog

notesofachord and linklinc like this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

A bizzare conversation with Paul McCartney

Annie is a little speechless here

6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

A candid post snl interview

“Glamour that’s been up for 3 days”

“I wanted to be blonde because it’s a little impossible for me to look anything but severe with dark hair and that’s not really the vibe, it’s more playful”

She even talks pro sports in the Q&A

Look away while you listen - that fluffy top is hideous

linklinc likes this.
  7. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Wow

A very up to the latest insightful bio video on Annie. - bravo

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    linklinc likes this.
  8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Always a proper context

Nike and linklinc like this.
  9. Nike

Nike Duke

a lot of people started listening to Annie when the St.Vincent album came out and especially after the mass ... and i don't understand why they didn't listen to the first 3 albums. I don't understand how someone who starts listening to xy artist through the last album, and doesn't bother to listen to everything that the artist has released before

audiotom likes this.
  10. Nike

Nike Duke

I don't believe how few pages this thread has. St.Vincent is among the top 5 new best artists. each album is a new chapter. as Bowie did. and that’s why I think Annie is the top5 artist today.

11. primitivesludge

Interesting development in St. Vincent world. Her team pressured a journalist to spike a piece by threatening legal action because the journalist asked about her father and his time in jail and her general opinion on America as a carceral state. Obviously deleting stuff from the internet doesn't work, as it is here: https://archive.is/wFkLN#selection-501.445-513.250

Nothing incriminating in it, either, and far better than the above puff pieces that just sniff her farts.

Colinjpush, Erick Haight and Patanoia like this.
  12. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

Oof, that was an uncomfortably tense read. Kind of weird for her to make her father the focus of this album promo cycle when she doesn't seem quite ready to handle that topic openly in interviews yet.

13. Pollyjean

Pollyjean Forum Resident

I thought the interviewer's questions were terrible. She didn't come off badly, just an awkward interview.

Colinjpush likes this.
  14. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Thanks for posting that. Didn’t seem spikeworthy to me in the slightest — the artist is the one who put these amorphous ideas about paternalism and identity and geography out there in the first place, and the interviewer attempted to interrogate and flesh out those ideas with the artist, who didn’t seem willing to do so.

Then again, I’d be jumpy if I had to chat with Sir Paul within the hour, so maybe StV had one eye on the Beatle to come. Regardless, of all the StV projects, Daddy’s Home has me the most underwhelmed so far, and the interview does little to change that feeling. (And as a former ****ty interviewer, I thought the author acquitted herself pretty well, all things considered. Could have followed up on the Steely Dan reference, tho’.)

primitivesludge likes this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

She's referenced them before. When I saw her 11-12 years she was onstage for 30 minutes before her set doing final set of of gear since she was still a "baby band" - they played most/all of a SD album in that time with Annie quiet mouthing the words.

"In 2010, her father was sentenced to 12 years in jail for his role in a $43m (£27m) stock-manipulation scheme."

Out of jail in 2019, I was wondering when an interview would press her about the above. IMO, ignoring the above line is actually irresponsible journalism.

Colinjpush and Erick Haight like this.
  16. primitivesludge

It's not the world's greatest interview from either side of the fence, but more interesting than most because of it!

17. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Alright... Time for a collaboration with Eno and Fripp!

linklinc likes this.
  18. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

There's something else off-putting about her look change that I can't put my finger on because I don't know anything about cosmetics or applied fashion. It gives her a late-period Marilyn Manson vibe instead of Boogie Nights. She looks like a wax sculpture of herself in the McCartney interview.

primitivesludge likes this.
  19. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Another track from the upcoming album: "Down".

I love it.

21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Great little guitar break at 2:28.

22. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person Thread Starter

Fantastic single. Feels like the most self-assured and distinctively St. Vincent so far. Love the sitar flourishes.

Colinjpush, wolfram and linklinc like this.
  23. Django

Django Forum Resident

24. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

25. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

wolfram and linklinc like this.