Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

His cover of "Change The Locks" is just amazing.

Arete411, Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  2. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I really believe that Tom's last great album is this. However, I do have to say that I'm probably the one guy on earth that likes "The Last DJ".

3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I'm of the opinion that starting from Wildflowers all the way till the end of his life, Tom's albums were consistently great. In fact, I actually prefer his later output to his earlier output.

4. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

Nope, you’re not the only one. :wave:

5. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

It's one of my top 5!

6. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

I love The Last DJ. It's maybe the last Petty album that I feel strongly about.

My father took me on one of our first real trips together for that album release. We flew from Boston to LA to catch one of the shows at the Grand Olympic, where the Heartbreakers performed the album in full with an orchestra. Then we caught the last show of the tour back home in Boston. I suppose I'm a bit biased cause I just have really positive memories about the release, but I think it's one of Tom's best from a narrative perspective.

ARK, mtruslow, Billy_Sunday and 2 others like this.
  7. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

one of his best albums....you're definitely not alone !!

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Oh, Yes! I was driving today and listening to Tom's Sirius channel when it came on. I had to pull over for the part where Carl comes in. Just heavenly.

FJFP likes this.
  9. davenav

Multiple disagreements with that!

Firstly, the STO is out of print, so it's great that you're happy with it and all, but what about the rest of us?

And it makes no sense to remix it and slap the same lousy cover on it. (I do agree about the new cover, but it's not *that* bad, I just wish Tom was in color)

Thirdly, Tom himself was unhappy about this project which he didn't really control, so to me that justifies reshuffling the songs and making a proper TP Album out of it.

Fourthly, I hugely disagree about the Wildflowers box! I got the 9-LP set and I swear by all I hold holy that there is not a bad song in the whole thing!

10. davenav

I feel the same. No idea why it gets a bad rap.

I'll go on to say that Highway Companion, the Mudcrutch albums, Mojo - these all show that Tom was still operating at a very high level in his last decade. Heck, even the Sirius channel theme music is a lot of fun!

11. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Fair enough! But like I said in an earlier post the 2017 Bellman-cut STO just had a recent repress, bought mine at Acoustic sounds in Feb for $18.98. (Score!, as expected they sold very quickly but still a few copies left on Discogs/Ebay for cheap).

Artwork always a subjective topic, I think the bright yellow cover looks fantastic and tasteful (tho I'd prefer it was just band members in photos). That Angel Dream artwork is embarrassing IMO.

Thirdly, Tom can say whatever he likes, fact remains it is a great album disguised as a movie soundtrack. I enjoy it just as much/ maybe more than Wildflowers. All the Wildflowers radio hits were played to death back in the day, my enjoyment of the album still suffers from that.

Fourthly, if you bought a 9-lp set of Wildflowers I wouldn't expect you to agree with my opinions LOL! For most people that box will look nice sitting on the shelf, likely never get a 2nd listen. I am perfectly satisfied with the original Wildflowers, IMO it's just a 'great' album, nothing more. IMHO his death combined with how rare the original Lp was for many many years contributed to all this Wildflower-mania.

Just want to point out that I am very happy to finally have Bellman-cut vinyl of both albums after many years of waiting, paid $30 for Wildflowers (from fellow forum member) and $18.98 for STO. Good start to the year for me!

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

There are 64 used copies up for grabs on Amazon currently, starting at $1.99... I mean, it's not in print, but it's not exactly hard to come by.

13. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

We're talking VINYL, not CD. (Lowest price for STO on Amazon on VINYL right now is $109.00, not $1.99. Just off by a few decimal places!)

JoeRockhead and davenav like this.
  14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Oops! My mistake.

15. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Excited can't wait!

16. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I have never seen a more contrived and half baked attempt at concocting a release. Revisionist rubbish.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I think it’s fine. Seems like a nod to the “Walls” music video, up to and including a black-and-white Tom Petty in front of a colorful backdrop.

18. davenav

I’ll bet you have! :sigh:

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It was easily available for several years for under $20 (and if you put in a little effort other than Amazon, you can probably still find it for ~$30).

By 2021, folks should realize physical media isn’t likely to remain consistently in print and - if you want to avoid empty-handed complaining, buy it sooner rather than later.

20. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Anybody else remember when the original soundtrack standalone reissue was announced as forthcoming in like 2012?? After three years I gave up on that. Is the version from the boxed set AAA?

Not sure the world needed a “Walls” remix but I’ll give it a chance. That song is perfect as is. That cover is hideous, I prefer the yellow.

21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Even better.

22. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Western Movie, ARK, DocShipe and 3 others like this.
  23. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

All I have to say is that "Grew Up Fast" is one of the greatest, lost songs from this generation. I first heard it in a rental car with a decent sound system in the mid 2000s. When those toms came in - WOW. Absolutely blown away. I was quite thrilled when it was included in the American Treasure box. People in the Petty camp must feel the same about this song and how it has kinda been lost to time.

I'm not even sure if they played it live.

I hope a new mix on this song doesn't choke the toms on the drums. They're really glorious.

Oh, well...one other thing to say about this...

The cover is absolutely horrible. I wish some more effort was put into this because I don't think it really reflects any of what is to be contained in this set. It's quite bad.

Otherwise, looking forward to this release. Will be in line early to get my copy.

24. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

Agreed. Walls (Circus) is one of my favorite Petty songs; love Buckingham’s backing vocals on it.

25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Of course, and there's no rhyme or reason to how long something is gonna stay in print. I guess people assumed the Petty reissues would be like the Zeppelin ones from 2014 (or the stereo Beatles from 2012).... Available indefinitely. Instead, they ceased production on all the post-Wildflowers catalog after 2 years. I remember people being angry that the cost of Echo had also shot up from about $25 to $100.

The random drop in February seemed like they put STO back in print. Instead, it turned out to be more of a "warehouse find." (Remember that, with the Petty Live Anthology? Except that one turned out to an ACTUAL reissue with distributors just lying to sell their initial batch at a premium since it had been OOP for years.) It did drop prices somewhat..... Cheapest copy on Discogs is now $50, at least.

I think people are just gonna be angry if the rest of the post-WF catalog (Echo, Last DJ, etc) gets reissued again for normal prices, but STO gets replaced by Angel Dream and stays OOP. But given how random their vinyl reissue campaign has been, there's a slight chance Wildflowers might be the only post-Eighties vinyl still available for a normal price in a few years. (Or they might just take Wildflowers OOP too! Who knows?!?)