Black Sabbath - Sabotage - 5 LPs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cranny, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

That's the $49.99 USD question? if the Past Lives songs are any indication they will be louder.

hi_watt and Music_dude like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Especially when one is supposed to know that show if they know no others.
    Sab credibility takes a major hit. ;):sigh:

hi_watt and Music_dude like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd like to think that they remixed it and it's a whole other world better. But probably the same mix just bricked.

ODShowtime and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

And in this case the bonus material is only slightly related to the album. Far as I'm concerned, this might as well have been released as a new double live album, since I'm not hopeful the actual album will sound better than past releases.

5. As long as they don't get the same guy who mixed the live portion of Vol. 4. - You know, the guy who had limited knowledge of Sabbath and he had to get a "friend" to help him out, and said "friend" put up a Youtube vid salivating at his involvement.

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

As it should I guess...we already own the album.

Jam757, Library Eye, Tojo and 5 others like this.
  7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I listened to Sabotage last night and noticed that weird pre-echo thing a few times on The Writ for the first time. Guess I never played it loud enough until then.

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yup. They should've put out this 1975 show instead of the stupid Past Lives.

9. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

For me, it should be "listen to this great remix/remaster of Sabotage"! Then, "this bonus material is a really worthwhile!". I always felt that the box should have the remixed/remastered album as the strongest part of the package. It's not coming off that way.

garythain, Tojo, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

well you're already setting yourself up for a disappointment. I don't think this is being remixed. Only remastered. You're not getting anything new in regards to Sabatage. And everyone already has the album, so anyone's really only buying it for the bonus.

obi, Curveboy and vinyl diehard like this.
  11. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Yeah, I guess you are right. I was hoping for a new SW remix. I guess I won't be getting my wish.

12. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I agree with Vinyl Diehard, it should be a case that a ‘Super Deluxe Boxset’ cd should have a definitive or at least amongst the better sounding masterings, with bonus tracks as exactly that - a nice bonus.

I’ve read plenty of comments over this and the Vol 4 Super Deluxe about how they should be done like the latest Jethro Tull re-issues. I had a look on discogs and in fairness they look like the final word on those albums, fabulous looking sets with a lot of love and care gone into them.

13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yup. Those sets have CDs and DVDs with lots of worthwhile stuff. They generally contain a flat transfer of the original mixes + new SW mixes for the album and other related tracks like singles, b-sides, outtakes and leftovers + live stuff, all in great sound quality, accompanied by a book packed with info: essays, interviews with relevant personnel, track by track analysis by Ian Anderson, chronology of the period with recording/mixing dates and tour dates, etc.

Very complete, with balanced and dynamic mastering(*) and a friendly price tag. A fan's dream. Jethro Tull's booksets piss all over Sabbath's superdeluxes in every respect.

(*)
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

frank3si, ArpMoog, Tojo and 5 others like this.
  14. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I would happily buy the 75 live set as a standalone release but will not be forking out for the box set.

Mark J and ODShowtime like this.
  15. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Boat maintenance and marina fees ain't cheap, folk. Pony up your cash for these Sabbath deluxe boxes and keep your favorite record execs flush with rum and seaside joy.

blacksabbathrainbow, Anthrax and obi like this.
  16. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

About 15 years ago I was lucky to enjoy a listening/viewing session with a Sabbath collector. On the menu were Dumfries 69, Black Sabbath (studio outtakes), Paranoid (studio outtakes) and various pro-shot video. Dumfries was eventually made public and I can't remember how much of the studio stuff I listened to that day was included on the official expanded releases. At that time Sharon Osbourne was furiously attempting to block the material on the first few albums, which I believe Patrick Meehan Sr controlled. Anyway, my collector friend had just received the studio material and said that their would be more coming because as his contact informed him that all 8 original Sabbath tapes have "left the studio" and his contact was currently working his way through Sabotage. I haven't talked to my friend in quite a while, but during my past correspondence I would inquire about the rest of the studio stuff and he said that he never received any more items. He knew various people that were in contact with Tony, Geezer, Ozzy and Ronnie and said that besides Ozzy, none of them took much interest in recently unearthed audio/video gems from the 70s and 80s and didn't want it released because they only saw the flaws. That was 15 years ago. Hopefully, their attitudes have changed and the band is helping curate these deluxe packages, which incorporate archival material...

One funny item I remember from our get together was him telling me that the Live at Last master reels were just found. I believe he said that Geezer's old roadie had them stored under his stairs...

17. Sample of the new remaster (or did somebody already post it?):

Exactly, Rhino says the same thing:
    https://store.rhino.com/artist/black-sabbath/sabotage-super-deluxe-edition-4cd.html
    So three of the live tracks have already been released - which unequivocally confirms that the live recording is indeed Asbury Park 1975, three tracks of which were included on Past Lives.

Thanks for sharing your story! Well, thanks to @Claus we know that Geezer and Tony were involved in the preparation of the Vol. 4 Super Deluxe release, and regrettably it doesn't look like that was helpful. I don't see any indication that they have changed their attitudes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2021
  18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Right, and they also state from a complete concert so we know this isn't going to be a mix of some Asbury tracks with some tracks from other shows.

Music_dude and slipkid like this.
  19. True! I am actually glad about that. I really wouldn't want 2 or 3 tracks from a previously unreleased live show. "Live in the UK 1973" was frustrating enough.

slipkid and rnranimal like this.
  20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Someone did post it at one point. I think it sounds "off" but not as weird as 2012 V4 or Dio albums. I think it could be just that this track doesn't show up the weirdness as much. Will need to hear others. There is definitely something strange going on with it, though. The synthesizer is riding above everything else in a way that it doesn't in the other masterings I checked, including the 2016. I'm guessing compression and EQ in the 2021 is causing this and might cause more overall noticeable difference on more traditional tracks.

Purple and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  21. Not buying this is one of the easiest decisions I've ever made. I can't believe I am saying this about a release of my favorite band containing bonus material from a great live performance. But it is still true.

slipkid, Purple, drapes and 6 others like this.
  22. Well, maybe, but if that's the concept, it could be improved a lot by adding more and better, as well as better-sounding, bonus material.

23. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

For me, it is only if I find it at a drastically discounted price. By the way, that Am I Going Insane sample was bright, flat, and loud in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  24. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I’d like the book from it.

blacksabbathrainbow and hi_watt like this.
  25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, it wasn't good. Very in your face.

blacksabbathrainbow and hi_watt like this.