Help with new AVR & Surround/Stereo Set-Up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by yesstiles, Mar 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi!

So I've been stereo only my whole life with the past 15 years using my current set-up of Creek 5350SE 2-channel amp, Marantz DV7600 SACD/DVD-A/CD and Music Hall turntable.

I have some money to finally get a surround system for my tons of multi-channel discs. I have very limited space in my rack, so for the 5.1 receiver I'm probably going to get either a Marantz NR1402 or NR 1504 because they're only 4 inches high. I can get either for the same price, just not sure which one to get.

I have no interest in playing computer downloads, usb, files, or anything like that. I do have a tv hooked up currently, but this is all in my dedicated music room, so it will be just for seeing menus or a rare concert video. My set-up is basically music-only.

I just bought an Oppo BDP-93 for Blu-rays, but would like to keep using my Marantz DV7600 for stereo DVD-A's and SACD and redbook, as I assume it's a nicer player than the Oppo.

I of course would like to continue using my expensive Creek amp for all 2-channel use, and the AVR will only be needed for surround music. My loudspeakers are very nice EPOS M22's. And I have some cheap Sony SS-U31 bookshelf speakers for proposed rear channels and a cheap Sony SS-CN62 for proposed center channel. Those Sony's I've had in a closet for 20 years I've never used, for a someday 5.1 system haha.

Apart from this, I am totally ignorant on how to achieve what I want. Not tech-minded at all.

How do I keep my nice Epos for both stereo and surround use?

What cables and cords do I need and what other things am I not considering?

Thank you very much :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Thankfully both Marantz AVR models you are looking at have Main L/R Pre Outs....

Connect your Creek amp to them with a pair of interconnects using its A/V line in.
    Do NOT use the Phono Input.......!!!!!!!

Leave you mains speaker cable wired to the Creek and wire center and rears using speaker cable to the Marantz AVR's corresponding binding posts.

You will also need to use a single interconnect cable to connect your Sub to the Marantz's Sub Pre Out.

As your Creek does not have unity gain you will need to find a sweet easily repeatable spot ( 12 o'clock??) for its volume control to stay at when you are listening in M/Ch.

Find the best spot by running Audyssey Room EQ starting with the Creeks volume low and increase accordingly until you are at around 0 or +2 on the Marantz's channel level.

You don't want to be -10 or +10 as that is unnecessarily too far out.

If you get stuck RTFM or come back here.....:)

That's it...........

Remember NOT to start playing stereo stuff with the Creek volume control still set for M/Ch.....!!!!!!
    Should be simple as you would need to select required input on the Creek first anyway.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Sterling1, Meehael and yesstiles like this.
  3. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

What would you do if you wanted to have the sub available for 2 channel.
    Here is my dilemma.
    I get all the rest.

4. yesstiles

So I won't need one of these then?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796KGVXT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ADXERLXGK7AZN&psc=1

5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I can only tell you what I do but I guess it depends on the connections offered by your Sub.

I connect to two Velodyne HGS 15 subs via RCA using a second set of main pre outs on my stereo pre.
    I also connect to both subs using XLR from my Surround Pre/Pro.

The subs are tuned using their on board crossovers and volume controls for stereo.
    They are tuned by Audyssey XT32 in my Pre Pro for M/Ch use.

As they offer IN/OUT crossover switching I simply select the required position on switch on.

Henry J likes this.
  7. yesstiles

A few more questions:

1. So I won't need any HDMI plugs?
    2. If the same price, would the NR-1402 or NR1504 work better with my system?
    3. Will those extra Sony speakers sound crappy with everything else? I do have a line on some Epos M5 for the rear channels and Epos ELS-3C for a center channel, and I can get all three for about $350 total. Would that be worth it?
    4. I forgot all about the subwoofer. Is that the .1 in 5.1 haha? Is that totally necessary? I don't know where I would even have room to place it.

8. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

1. You will need HDMI leads for OPPO to Marantz and Marantz to Display
    2. Not sure as they appear quite similar...........research them to see if any feature differences affect you.
    3. I would definitely recommend the matching EPOS speakers.
    4. Yes it is the .1 ............and makes a BIG difference for movies and music.

gd0 and yesstiles like this.
  9. yesstiles

It looks like the older Marantz NR1402 has three rows of 3 Component Video plugs, while the Marantz NR1504 removes those in favor of an extra HDMI plug.

Not sure which would match my system better.

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

If it's a case of all other things being equal then at least the newer model should have less compatibility issues.

11. Henry J

I use similar Epos's for my rear and they are excellent!

yesstiles likes this.
  12. yesstiles

What subwoofer do you use?

13. Henry J

SVS SB-2000. Love it!

14. yesstiles

My deal fell thru for rear channel speakers. :shake:

What are some other online search & buy places like Audiogon and Craigslist where I could try to find some Epos bookshelf speakers (Epos ELS-3, Epos M5, etc) for this purpose?

Thanks~

15. Henry J

Ebay has several bookshelf models at this moment!

16. yesstiles

Okay I finally got my debut Surround System set-up this weekend. :cool:

One hitch: When I play surround mode, the front speakers are barely audible, but fine when I play stereo mode.

What am I doing wrong?

17. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I thought you were going to use the Creek 5350 for Stereo.:confused:

See my earlier post #2 and your OP.

18. yesstiles

I am.

But when I switch to my AV for Surround the front speakers go really faint.

19. Henry J

Try changing the surround modes.

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Did you turn up the volume on the Creek to match the other channels as discussed earlier?

From my earlier post........

"As your Creek does not have unity gain (HT bypass) you will need to find a sweet easily repeatable spot ( 12 o'clock??) for its volume control
    to stay at when you are listening in M/C
    h."

21. yesstiles

How do I do this? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks.

22. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Buy a Parasound P6. It has a bypass feature which permits stereo from home theater amp to be sent to your stereo power amp. This permits your awesome stereo amp to power front channels from your AVR's preouts.

23. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Here's an easier but not as entirely accurate way if you don't want to run Audyssey.....( which you really should)

Play something in MCh.........as you previously said the Mains are too quiet.
    Go over to the Creek......... make sure it is set to the right input.........turn it's volume up until the Mains are loud
    enough to match your other channels by ear then make note of Creeks volume knob position for next time.........that's it

Remember to turn the Creeks volume back down when finished........very important!!!!!!

24. yesstiles

Okay, it seems maybe I have my Creek to AV interconnects in the wrong place. I'm being told here to connect them to my Creek via "AV Line In" or "Main In."

My Creek doesn't have any inputs that say exactly either of those. There are three options: "AV," "Tape/Line In," or "Power-Amp In."

Which is correct?

25. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Go with AV........as previously mentioned in my earlier Post #2....:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.