The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

Kinks 2015 Sanctuary Records (#BMG14048V) LP

This is the only Mono version of the LP I own, except for the Reprise which has a couple of tracks omitted. I have the Mono Box Set and it is the same remastered version. So I won't listen to that. This album to my ears is not much different than the Deluxe if you are just listening to the music and jam out with the Kinks. But it is the little details that makes this album shine. For example, the tambourine, the hand claps, and the backing vocals. I wish I owned or even heard an original Pye to compare.

I know the people who master these albums don't like to give away secrets, but I like to ask, 'Not only having the original tapes, do they listen to original lps, cds to make adjustments and or improvements?'

Grade: A+. It's just damn perfect. Take it for what it's worth. I only have three LP versions. I don't think I need any more. Unless something 'wow's' me.

2. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I Believed You
    Can't add anything further that hasn't been said. yes, very Beatle-like. I don't think I'll need to listen to this again, but of course not bad at all.

I Don't Need You Anymore
    this almost makes me angry to think that this was not included on their debut album. What happened there? This song is so good. Dual vocals. Great jangly guitar. So catchy. I can't stop listening to it. Nice ending with the drums.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Everybody's Gonna Be Happy - demo

This was most likely recorded on December 10th 1964 at Regent.

And I know, and I know,
    And I know that ev'rybody,
    And I know that ev'rybody be happy,
    As happy as you and me.
    'Cause I know, I know.

Come on baby let me tell you
    All the things I wanna say
    All the things I wanna say, and

Ev'rybody's gonna be happy,
    Which means you and me, my love

And I know, and I know,
    And when I see ya walking down the street
    Well it makes me happy to see you walkin'
    It makes my life complete
    'Cause I know, I know.

And I know, and I know,
    And I know that you and me,
    And I know that you and me be happy,
    As happy as we can be.
    'Cause I know, I know.

And I know, and I know,
    And I know, and I know,
    And I know...

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Kassner Music Co. Ltd

We certainly have a little way to go before the band really fully develop, and that unique personality shines through, and the very influential Mersey scene and UK pop/rock explosion starts to fade into the history of the band, but here we get another taste of the internal identity of the band shining through the necessities of the business side of the music.

This is just the demo, and the song proper will be released in about four months as a single, but this demo is stamped with The early Kinks sound and style.
    We are driving along by a very active bass guitar and the acoustic guitar is driving us along with the drums.

This is just a happy-go-lucky love song really, and it moves along at a quick tempo. We get a solid Ray vocal, although the single to come has a stronger vocal. We get solid backing vocals and although not the complete picture, this is a really solid track.

This and a couple of other songs were recorded too late to be considered for the debut album, and based in the idea of the sixties music scene it was probably being considered as a single only release anyway.
    It just strikes me that the impatience to get the debut album out somewhat limited it.... I guess in reality though, it would be hard to foresee how quickly Ray would find his voice as a songwriter.... As @Pawnmower kind of pointed out, the second album is leaps and bounds ahead of the debut, and coming soon to a Kinks thread near you ... and a lot of that is based on Ray's development as a songwriter. By the time we get into the next album and the singles and extra tracks associated with it, we have some very strong songs that are becoming more and more the Kinks we know and love as leaders in the rock/pop world, dare I say the songs are really starting to show their Kinkiness.

4. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It amazes me that they already had this great track, but it wasn't included on the debut.

5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

to be fair this demo was taped in December 1964, 2 months after their first album was issued, so it's likely the song wasn't written in time for the debut. Not that, I admit, it would have stopped them excluding the song if it had existed of course!

Should we discuss Everybody's Gonna Be Happy in general now or wait till the single appears down the line? It seems a bit out of synch to start discussing the song as a whole this early, especially as we've not got to the two preceding singles yet (both of which were recorded before even this demo version of Everybodys).

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I think it would make sense to discuss both versions of Everybody's at the same time, when we get to the single. Otherwise we may not have much to say the second time.

7. mark winstanley

Don't Ever Let Me Go

This was recorded on the 8th of September 1964 at Pye studios 2

Don't ever let me go, don't ever let me go

You've been runnin' round with other guys
    (Other guys)
    I keep hearing these stories, I wish they were lies
    (Wish they were lies)

Yeah, but don't ever let me go, because I want you to know
    I want a new love, just not a true love
    I want all the world to know I still love you so

You say to me I'm the only one
    (Only one)
    But all of the time, you're having fun
    (Having fun)

Don't you know that I want you, to make you my own
    (Make you my own)
    I promise you honey, you won't be alone
    (Won't be alone)

I want you're love, just not a true love

Written by: Ray Davies or Dave Davies
    Published by: ?

Here we get a sort of rewrite of the You Really Got Me guitar riff, but used in a completely different context.
    We open really well with the held acoustic guitar strikes over a solid straight drum beat. Then we get the YRGM variation come into play, but we probably also have the weakness of the song revealed fairly early too, with the slightly overly repetitive lyric.

We get sort of call and response vocals in the verses, and they seem to be slightly low in the mix.
    For the most part I like this track, but I think the chorus just has a repetitive feel about it, even though there are more lyrics in there than the sound of it makes one think.... and part of that seems to be the clarity of the vocal mix. The Don't Ever Let Me Go parts stand out and the rest kind of blend into the background. I reckon this track could have worked a little better with a remix, or retake or something. It certainly has some strong points, but I think it ends up a little washed together.

Even so, in some ways I still think it would have been a better track for the album than the Bald tracks. I just wouldn't want it sitting next to You Really Got Me. It has enough changes and variance for it to hold its own ....
    Dave again lays out a nice stabbing, jabbing lead break.

8. mark winstanley

I reckon it is probably one to explore more deeply when we hit the single. .... but as long as Everybody's Gonna Be Happy, I don't mind how folks approach it.

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

'Don't Ever Let Me Go' was a revelation when it first leaked out on bootleg circa 2000. Yes, it's a 'You Really Got Me' rewrite/derivative (the first of many) but as you say Mark, it uses the riff in such a completely different context that it becomes it's own thing.. hard to explain but it has a slightly more more swinging and celebratory atmosphere in the way the riff in deployed and in the shift in dynamics between rising anticipation in the verses and then the release of the rollicking party like chorus, as opposed to YRGM which just ramps things up throughout .. and lyrically it's almost like a direct sequel.. You Really Got Me.. so now Don't Ever Let Me Go.

As much as I'm an apologist for 'Beautiful Delilah', THIS should have been the opening track of the debut album.. it instantly says 'You liked You Really Got Me?' Well, here's another song in the same vein but different that's nearly as good! We're definitely the same guys who made that great new sound, so welcome in, the parties just begun!'

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  10. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Everybody's Gonna Be Happy"

It's a good take, but I think the single version is stronger.

"Don't Ever Let Me Go"

Never heard this before - there's definitely something there that should have been developed and recorded properly for the album, although this take itself has plenty of animal energy. I agree that it would have made a good album opener.

11. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

Everybody's Gonna Be Happy -- I'll wait for the actual single release to offer my usual brilliant insights on this one. :D

Don't Ever Let Me Go
    -- as has been pointed out, it's a re-deployment of the already-classic "You Really Got Me" riff. I don't find the song particularly interesting, though, and I think the decision to leave it off the album was well-founded. As always, it is well-performed and energetically played -- it just isn't much of a song.

The track kept making me think of another band, and I couldn't figure out who -- then it hit me. This sounds like the Remains.

12. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Don't Ever Let Me Go is pure genius because (not in spite) of its derivative nature. It's almost a self appointed exercise in writing : can I come up with something else entirely using the exact same basic elements as a previous song (even the guitar solo sounds intentionally similar) ? It could even be seen as an early experiment in sampling. Of course, it's not a "proper" song but as a "curio", it's been a favorite since it first appeared on bootlegs so many years ago, along other highlights like This I Know or the sublime Tell Me Now So I'll Know demo.

Lab Guy, The MEZ, Steve E. and 5 others like this.
  13. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Exactly. Not only does this rough sketch demo deserve to be understood in context of its evolution to the final, single release, it does seem out of place to think about it before All Day and So Tired. Those two cuts need to be addressed first, I think, before we can truly understand why this song was a flop and, consequently, turned into--undeservedly--one of the most ignored songs in the Kinks discography.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  14. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I actually detect a bit of foreshadowing here of how Ray applied structuring a song around the band's signature "stop and go" power riff to "Till The End of The Day."

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I just want to start by saying again that I'm happy this thread exists and I look forward to going through this catalog with you all. I have all the Kinks albums but I am WAY more familiar with the first 12 than the last 12 (of 24 studio albums). Earlier this year I was going to go through each one chronologically, got to "Preservation Act 1" and played it several times, and quit. With "Preservation 2" being a double and poorly reviewed, I kind of lost my momentum. But now this thread showed up and I can go through it all with others and I look forward to all the comments and learning a lot. On to the present day:

"Everybody's Gonna Be Happy" (demo) - A fine demo. A bit more laid back and acoustic than the finished version, but a pleasant alternative. More once it's actually released.

"Don't Ever Let Me Go" - I like this. It shows promise. Like others have said, if it were developed a bit more and better recorded, it could be an album track. I can't see it on the album the way it is in this recording. Maybe Ray was embarrassed by lines like "Don't want a new love, just want a true love." That would be fine for other bands but I think Ray wanted to hold himself to a higher standard than some of that.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

FYI, the songs on the Kinksize Sessions EP are not in the correct order on the 2CD deluxe. The EP runs:
    Louie Louie
    I Gotta Go Now
    I've Got That Feeling
    Things Are Getting Better

https://www.discogs.com/The-Kinks-Kinksize-Session/release/4497725

17. mark winstanley

That's why I love these kinds of threads.
    I'm really familiar with specific albums, rather than a particular period, though the mid seventies to early eighties is probably my most familiar period.
    I'm really enjoying giving these earlier albums a good, fair listen.

pablo fanques, The MEZ and Pawnmower like this.
  18. mark winstanley

19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

"Don't Ever Let Me Go"

Like a lot of other early Ray songs, I think he would have been a fantastic writer for girl groups. I'm sure many have heard the Orchids "I've Got That Feeling." I think this song could have been a real cool tune for them or another similar group. I also don't doubt someone like Shel Talmy encouraged Ray to write songs for other groups (many of which were girls) he was producing. And I'm sure Larry Page was foaming from his mouth saying 'yes, yes, yes.'

20. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Don't Ever Let Me Go

Holy recycled riffs, Batman!

But yeah, they make it work. Love the solo, too. First time I heard this back in the day, I was offended by the laziness.... can't you write new music? But now, I appreciate the effort in making it so different, and still worthwhile. No small feat for such an iconic riff.

21. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Don't Ever Let Me Go"

In agreement with most of the comments so far. I like it! Similarities to the monster hit, but different and good enough to keep your hips swinging. Another killer guitar solo by Dave and confident vocal by Ray. It's pretty impressive to have several classic early songs that never made it on an album.

22. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I'm going to get a little technical here, but it's worth it. Like "You Really Got Me," this riff is ♭VII I I ♭VII I. Ray could've given this tune a bit more of a personality of it's own if he had merely switched it to ♭VII I I ♭III I, and stuck with that format as the song moved up the scale through the verse. Try it out on a guitar, and you'll see what I mean. In other words, instead of: F G G F G, make it F G G B♭ G

23. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

^^I agree with what Endicott says above.
    bring on the next grouping! :D

24. mark winstanley

Kinksize Session

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    EP by
    the Kinks
    Released
    27 November 1964
    Recorded 23 September and 18 October 1964
    Studio No. 2, Pye Studios, London
    Genre R&B[1]
    Length 10:33
    Label Pye NEP 24200
    Producer Shel Talmy

Kinksize Session was released in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand in 1964.[3] In the US, the tracks were included on the Kinks-Size album in 1965.[4] "Louie Louie" was included on the UK compilation album Sunny Afternoon in 1967 but the other tracks remained unavailable elsewhere.

The EP was made available on CD in 1990 as part of The EP Collection boxed set.[5] All four tracks were included as bonus tracks on the 2004 reissue of the Kinks' debut album.

The follow-up EP, Kinksize Hits simply compiled the hit singles "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night" along with their respective B-sides. Their next EP of original material would be 1965's Kwyet Kinks.

Side one
    1. "Louie Louie" (Richard Berry) - 2:57
    2. "I Gotta Go Now" - 2:54
    Side two
    1. "I've Got That Feeling" - 2:45
    2. "Things Are Getting Better" - 1:57
    ------------------------------------------------------
    This EP was released in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. Originally the EP wasn't released in the US, but in the US, as they are want to do, the tracks were released on an album called Kinks Sized in 1965.
    The EP did eventually come out in the US in 2014/15 in a remastered version.

The EP went to number one in the UK.

The cover is interesting in some ways, as the guys still have the red jackets on, but they are posed a little more relaxed, even though there is a certain feeling of posing for a magazine shoot about the picture.

Louie Louie

mono mix (2:57), recorded 18 Oct, 1964 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London

It is interesting that Louie Louie was chosen for the first track on the EP.
    Originally written by Richard Berry [​IMG] in 1955, and released by Richard Berry and the Pharaohs in 1957.
    The song has become a standard and was recorded famously by the Kingsmen in 1963, which resulted in an FBI investigation into lyrical obscenity. The song was banned all over the place, due apparently to folks being unable to discern the lyrics, and I suppose reading their own words into it ..... the world sure is a funny place .....
    The Kingsmen were going to disband due to failing to get any airtime and feeling that they were wasting their time. A Boston DJ named Arnie Ginsburg was amused by the slapdash sound of the song and played it on his radio show as "the worst song of the week" and ironically the publics response was swift and positive.
    The song ended up going to number one. Interestingly by the time the song had gone to number one, the band had split up.

To some extent the notoriety of the song led to it becoming a garage band standard and even up into the eighties it was still being covered by bands... Motorhead probably being one of the most famous.

The Kinks version is really very solid. We open with the guitar right up front, and after a couple of chord stabs we move into the standard progression.
    I like Ray's delivery of the lyrics, and also the chorus delivery works really well.

We get another solid lead break from Dave and although this is probably not going to be in anyone's favourite Kinks tracks, I reckon it is pretty solid.

25. mark winstanley

I Gotta Go Now

mono mix (2:54), recorded 24 Sep, 1964 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London

Oddly enough the second song on the EP has a title that seems directly related to the lyrics in Louie Louie.
    The song is really nothing like Louie Louie though. Also funnily enough the song was recorded about a month before the lead track.

We open with a drum track just keeping a steady beat, and then we roll into the vocals.

I gotta go now, gotta go now

Hey, little girl
    I've gotta go now.
    Hey, little girl.
    I've gotta go now.

Well your mum,
    She's so angry
    Hey, little girl,
    Guess I'd better go now.

Hey, little girl.
    What'cha gonna do 'bout it now?
    Hey, little girl.
    What'cha gonna do 'bout it now?

Well I love you,
    But I guess I'd better go now.
    Hey, little girl,
    Guess I'd better go now.

I don't want to leave you
    Soon we'll be together all the time
    But until then I gotta go, gotta go.

Hey, little girl,
    Hey, little girl,

Well I love you,
    Hey, little girl,
    Guess I'd better go now.

I've gotta go.

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Kassner Music Co. Ltd

This is quite an odd track. We have the rim shot led drums kicking along. Opening with a harmonised vocal. It starts off almost like it's going to be a slightly uptempo ballad, and then kind of rolls into a gentle blues/R&B type track.
    Ray delivers the vocals nicely, but it seems like the song isn't really going to go anywhere particularly interesting.
    Then all of a sudden just over halfway through the song (at about 1:38) we burst into the rock and roll bridge, with the guitars slashing away, and just as quickly we move back to the laid back way the song started.
    This isn't a favourite Kinks track or anything for me, but it is a really interesting track, just because of its unusual structure, predominantly a mellow little cruise with this boisterous bridge bursting in for a little bit in the middle.