Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Now the four albums I was obsessed with in 1989 at 17 all have deluxe sets:
    Don't Tell A Soul
    New York
    The Velvet Underground & Nico
    AND
    Plastic Ono Band
    I played these every day for months back then.

DeeThomaz, John Bliss, TeddyB and 7 others like this.
  2. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Ah man, that got me right in the feels today! Thank you very much, incredibly kind of you.

NumberEight and Sean Murdock like this.
  3. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

On waking up this morning I thought about what I paid for the Flaming Pie deluxe edition and already having the singles plus how much of the content was on the 2CD and being meh about the documentary CD, in comparison POB is less than half the price for a lot more tracks I want. Therefore I decided to keep my order in place...
    Also, I have passed on the recent FMac box and upcoming Who box.

Mike McMann and BeatleStair like this.
  4. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

Import CDs sent a confirmation email that my POB box set has shipped. Can't wait. It usually takes up to 2 weeks to arrive. I got it at the $95.73 USD price which equates to around $147 AUD with shipping and tax. JB HiFi in Australia has it at $185 AUD. They have the Gimme Some Truth box set at $165 AUD. Crazy given that Gimme Some Truth contains 2CD/DVD while the POB box has 6CD/2DVD.

5. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Great article on the Yoko music on Bluray. I am looking forward to spending time with the new box set. I wish the Yoko stuff was put on CD to give me more listening flexibility. I only have one place to listen to Bluray.

I am buying it for Lennon's music but intrigued by the Yoko jams.

Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band, 50th Anniversary Live Session Blu-ray

[​IMG]

6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I had to get it after Deep Discount sent me a 15% off coupon, came to like $105 after taxes and extra heavy shipping. Looking forward to it!

oboogie likes this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

This is the material I’m most interested in

8. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I did nearly the same thing. I passed on the new Fleetwood Mac and Al Stewart boxes. The Fleetwood Mac especially seems overpriced as it's nearly the price of the Lennon box with only three CDs. If I see that cheaper someday might bite but for now I'll stick with the Lennon because as you mentioned there's a lot more music even if it's multiple takes than many of the newer box sets.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  9. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i wonder if the albums i was obsessed with at 17 will get deluxe boxes some day...

death cab for cutie - plans
    sufjan stevens - illinois
    the killers - hot fuss
    arcade fire - funeral

it'll be interesting to see if this super deluxe cycle continues for the next generation!

velvet underground and plastic ono band became obsessions a few years later for me. i haven't heard the other two you mentioned yet!

10. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I always thought Sufjans The Avalanche made that kind of deluxe

qtrules likes this.
  11. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

You can always buy the digital album and it's much less expensive.

Bill007, Mike McMann and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I wish Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band was on the CDs. I want to put it on my iPhone but there's no way that I know of to extract it from the Blu-Ray.

John Bliss likes this.
  13. beatlesblogger

beatlesblogger Forum Resident

Snap!

14. Nosferatuz

Nosferatuz Forum Resident

Wow, this is so good.

15. mongo

mongo Senior Member

It won't be.
    Imagine set is still available and it was released in 2018.

16. dee

dee Senior Member

Wow indeed...

Nosferatuz likes this.
  17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

And if smaller numbers were done this time around - which is possible - I’m prepared to take that chance rather than get robbed blind for a mass market double album. I’m happy to see on the last few pages others chiming in on the silliness of the pricing for this release.

18. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Nice to hear the final take without the double tracked vocals.

19. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

Brilliant video...not sure about the mix, his voice sounds too exposed and almost off key plus I hear a duff Piano note (or Organ, would need to check with earphones) I've never heard before 1.58?

20. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

four greeeeeeeeeat albums!

qtrules likes this.
  21. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

DVD Audio Extractor (does Blu-ray too) with MakeMKV.

22. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Glenn, your the best, but if "space" is the only reason to "not" get an exciting and comprehensive box set like POB 50, then I (me) personally have issues.....

I don't care if they stack up to the ceiling. If I feel it is of value and an incredible tribute to an album I love bring it on.

Or, even in the case of the McCartney II or Red Rose Speedway archive box sets, which were bo sets that have greatly increased my liking of the album, again bring it on.

Bring on the boxes and I will worry about storage or space issues elsewhere, that is the joy of physical media and these boxes. :righton:

Pawnmower and Glenn Christense like this.
  23. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I also just canceled my order. Just too expensive for 150 tracks of the same 10 or so songs . I think I’ll wait to see if the price goes down like Imagine box. I really wanted it but feel it’s just of limited value to me especially when I compare to my new deluxe book of Tull’s A which is an incredible bang for my buck at a reasonable $35.

24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

No space isn’t the main issue, but it is a side issue for me.’
    As I’ve mentioned, I’m all in on the Beatles Anniversary releases but POB was so sparse arrangement wise to begin with I’m having trouble believing I’d listen to elements and rough mixes much .

I actually do have an incredible amount of stuff already, after pushing 60 years of obsessive collecting,
    so I think about how often I’ll listen to things and look at the books now before the box just ends up on some shelf.

As always, everyone has a different perspective on what they really have to have and what they can settle for. In this case the 2 CD version will probably work for me unless I hear things on line from the set I think I have to own.

Sean Murdock, Oyster Boy and Bill007 like this.
  25. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

the only "silliness" I see is for the vinyl release price. That is why I declined and did the 2 CD version for the car instead!

John Bliss likes this.