The RoboCop 2 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Apr 8, 2021.

1. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Actually, if they were the 6 years old robbing the sports shoes store in Robocop 2, it would have been awesome.

2. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

Great insight! Well put.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

So did I, but that scene where they open up the corrupt cop's stomach traumatized me.

Halloween_Jack and hi_watt like this.
  4. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Man...I should have mentioned that as well. It still messes me up. Also the scene when Caine's girlfriend tries to convince him to not kill her as he picks her up like a ragdoll and snaps her neck.

Timeline Man and Halloween_Jack like this.
  5. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Me too! You don’t actually really see anything, but the editing and hearing his screams do the job very effectively. I’d probably still wince a bit seeing it now.

What I loved the most about Robo 2 besides what’s already been mentioned is the score! Love me a bit of Leonard Rosenman even if he did tend to... uh... repeat himself a little *cough Star Trek IV* * sneeze Lord of the Rings* etc. But I love it. Some terrifically surreal scoring with the Elvis ‘cameo’ in the film too, and the very beginning of the film with it’s almost West Side story-esque jazzy opening :D

In fact going to give the fantastic Varese Sarabande Deluxe Edition of the score a spin right now!

enro99, hi_watt and Timeline Man like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

now I want to watch RC 2 again!

7. Michael

agree... I have the RC Steelbook...appropriate for that movie! : )
    [​IMG]

The Hud, Chrome_Head and hi_watt like this.
  8. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

I don't listen to the opinions of "unemployed persons" :mad:

Timeline Man and hi_watt like this.
  9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I enjoy the film. I didn't see it at the cinema like I did Robocop (I was 17 then) but i always enjoy the scene with Cain taking out the kid's gang in the warehouse. Always quite creepy. The film succeeds by throwing in enough new stuff and lore to make it not a basic retread of the first film.

Worthy.

10. Timeline Man

Right.

11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Wouldn’t mind rewatching the trilogy, but none of the movies are on streaming. Amazon Prime does have the Prime Directives series on streaming, in what look like movie-size chunks with different titles.

Can anyone here advise on what order to watch them in? I remember when it was airing on the Sci-fi channel or something, but I’ve never seen the show.

Timeline Man likes this.
  12. Timeline Man

Continuity 1:
    RoboCop (1987)
    RoboCop 2 (1990)
    RoboCop Returns (2023?)

Continuity 2:
    RoboCop 3 (1993)

Continuity 3:
    RoboCop - The 1994 TV series

Continuity 4:
    RoboCop: Prime Directives.

Titles:
    Dark Justice
    Meltdown
    Resurrection
    Crush and Burn

Continuity 5:
    RoboCop (2014)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Thanks for that--so they're planning a new continuation movie of the original film series?

I didn't know that 3 branched away from the first two.

Timeline Man likes this.
  14. Timeline Man

1- Yes, Returns should be the continuation of RoboCop 1, but I don't think that Part 2 will be totally discarded.
    2- Well, so it feels. RoboCop is played by Burke, and the Part 3 world also seems tonally different form the one of the first two movies. RoboCop has his directives back again, and the silver armour as well.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Bored me to tears.

16. Timeline Man

I know where you're coming from. That's because they used Alex Murphy into a cybernetic body as lead character. That wasn't RoboCop.

RoboCop, the original RoboCop, is not Alex Murphy. He's a new entity, using half of the brain of Alex Murphy. He was a different character who convinced himself to be "Alex Murphy", but he wasn't. That was fascinating and interesting.

The remake foolishly used Alex Murphy into a cybernetic body. And that's it, really. People just weren't interested. The black armour did not help, even.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Yeah, the remake wasn’t that good. Very bland and by the numbers movie, none of the bite of the first few movies.

Juan Matus and hi_watt like this.
  18. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Just joined this to say bravo. I think ROBOCOP 2 has always been an underrated classic. Is it better than the original? No, nothing could be. Is it equal to the original? IMO, yes.

19. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

As a NYer, am pretty sure that mayor character was conceived as a direct skewering of David Dinkins.

NaturalD and hi_watt like this.
  20. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I've got to admit I've never heard this take presented as fact, although I'll grant you Verhoven clearly wants the audience to initially question whether or not Robocop is partly or fully Murphy.

I've never doubted for a moment that Robocop was fully Murphy. As for why he acts more Robocoppy in the sequel, he's reluctantly come to terms that he'll never be Murphy "enough" for others to accept. This is clearly laid out in the scene where he lies to his wife about his identity. His final line of dialogue about being "only human" is a callback to the original's final line. It's delivered in a more sardonic tone, but then again so is the entire sequel.

SRC and Chrome_Head like this.
  21. Timeline Man

Verhoeven openly complained about that aspect of the remake, as well as Weller.

Fact is: RoboCop only retains the left half of Murphy's brain (we don't know how much of it, even). The entire right half is missing. There's a computer in there. A CPU. He's a cyborg. The human face comes from Murphy.
    He's a new entity. Some "human" feelings resurface, call them "reminiscences" if you want, and he chooses to embrace them. It's not a matter of identity, but feeling.

22. Chrome_Head

Just have to chime in and say, from a design standpoint, both Robocop and ED-209 are triumphs (I had the action figures of both as a kid, lol)--they're iconic in the same way that the Terminator, Predator and Alien designs were in the 70's and 80's.

23. It's a pretty good sequel. I first saw it when I was 6 or 7, my parents rented it.

hi_watt and Timeline Man like this.
  24. Timeline Man

Absolutely true!

25. Michael

without a doubt...ED-209 is menacing when it's standing still...

Timeline Man and Chrome_Head like this.