The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

A place to get very sick!

All Down The Line and elaterium like this.
  2. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Forum Resident

The Invisible Man with Elizabeth Moss.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah . Chinese Alamo.
    Wonder if the translation could have been better. Some incredible panoramic camera work, Shanghai recreation. Only three people in the small screening me another old guy mask on ( ditto myself ) .. but a Chinese woman came a little late plonked her self down below us no mask on and taking photos of the film. She was completely enthralled by the movie. Had to prop up my jacket to block out her large mobile phone constant glare. Film 15.00.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I read a meta-analysis of papers about the spread of covid-19, and the researchers mentioned that not one outbreak has been traced to a movie theater.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just saw at my local theater the Monday night showing of "Kajillionaire". Very Indie toned, quirky movie that eventually shows a big heart surrounding the results of an emotionally stunted 26 year old girl who has to live with her rather despicable scam artist parents running some of the most convoluted flim-flams just to make rent. It's really an odd movie but in a good way. Very documentary looking with a slow pace and interesting characters. Loved it for it's writing and originality.

It's a movie where you never know what's coming. You think it's going to go one way and then it takes some unusual turns.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Bohemian Rhapsody on 01/01/2019

7. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Forum Resident

My regular cinema, The Lighthouse Cinema in Dublin, opened back up in July with the gradual easing of COVID-19 restrictions. Sadly they’ve closed temporarily again, but in the short amount of time they were open myself and the missus were able to fit in a double bill of The Empire Strikes Back and Mulholland Drive.

8. All Down The Line

Very spherical productions!

Troy McClure likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Over on the Home Theater Forum, there's a consistent chorus of guys who act like you'll catch COVID if you even use the letters "A", "M" and "C" in a sentence.

I'm no COVID denier, but I think that at the current time, risks in theaters are fairly low. They're large spaces without that many people in them right now.

I consciously choose showtimes when I'm not stuck in there with more than 8-10 people, and I keep on my mask unless I'm chomping popcorn.

Seems like all the tales of people who caught COVID indoors from people not directly next to them stem from small, enclosed spaces where the infected person sat right next to a vent.

Not really an issue in theaters. Large rooms with vents far up in the ceiling.

I'm not naive: I know I take a chance when I go.

I just feel that chance is pretty low, and as you note, we've yet to hear any news that theaters spread infections...

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Theaters are unique in that, unlike most enclosed spaces, they have large volumes of air. This in itself diffuses any viral load that might be present.

I saw Tenet last week and there were only 8 people in the small 49 seat theater I was in but even with that small of stadium seating, the overall volume of the space was quite large.

I personally don't view movies as being a significant hazzard due to the precautions that have been taken.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

The last movie I saw in a theater was “Once Were Brothers”, the Band documentary at the Arclight in Hollywood. Then I walked to Amoeba Records where I bought Dylan’s Bootleg Series Basement Tapes highlights CD (natch!). This was late February.
    Admittedly I’m not much of a ‘movie’ guy but I miss going to a theater to see one.
    But I miss hanging out in a record store even more.

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Forget the name, but the last Disney-made Star Wars movie in December 2019. Mediocre, but mildly entertaining.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Our local arts theater has a new ten-buck deal this week: you and nine friends pony-up 10 dollars each, and you get the small auditorium to yourselves. Choice is 10 different spooky-themed features.

They're working really hard to keep up interest in the cinema; the owners just renovated the building when COVID set in, and they are itching to put some fun back into the community's lives in a fairly-consequence-free way. They already offer online screenings for members, and they did several general-audience-favorite drive-in showings, and merch, merch, merch. I think they're doing it right. And, considering they're not a Landmark or an Alamo-sized franchise or anything, they damn well better fight. When the mainstream houses shuttered, our cinema kept the marketing, and hopefully they'll get the benefit of more mainstream customers giving them a chance.

For what it's worth, the last time I was in a theater, that was so long ago, I think the song that was playing onscreen was, "Let's go out to the lob-bee..."

14. Chris DeVoe

Vickie and I have seen more than 100 films in the theater since they reopened. The chains have held so many films back from release, and Disney and Universal are using the pandemic to try to kill the theaters.

So AMC and Cinemark have been showing old films in addition to the new ones that have been released. And most of the time, we're literally the only people in the theater, like we were for a wonderful screening of The Iron Giant.

Just the other night, we saw Beverly Hills Cop again, not having seen it since it was originally in the theater.

maui jim likes this.
  15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Well, that's just weird. Sat and watched The Iron Giant giant with my eldest granddaughter a few weeks back, then, purely on a whim, put Beverly Hills Cop on (it's on Sky at the moment). Not seen either film for years.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

You guys have more courage than I.

17. Chris DeVoe

Vickie and I are fully vaccinated and have been for weeks. And even before then, we were perfectly comfortable in the theater. We were sharing roughly half a million cubic feet of air with, at most, eight other people. I've paid very close attention and not one covid-19 outbreak has been traced to a theater. Not one.

Oatsdad, Juan Matus, jlocke08 and 2 others like this.
  18. All Down The Line

Peter Rabbit 2 last weekend.
    My daughter had seen the first installment and this was my little boys first ever cinema visit!

jlocke08 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Just saw The Father last night. Incredible movie. I felt very safe even though there were 4 or 5 other couples watching. We were very spread out, and the place was immaculately clean. Going out to the snack bar was depressing though. This was a huge multiplex that looked like it was completely closed. All lights were off at every consession stand except one.

jlocke08 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

The Father

mmars982 likes this.
  21. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

CATS...still haven't come up with a reason to go back

22. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

my wife is chomping at the bit to see this

23. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

"The Gentlemen" was the last one I saw in the theater.

24. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Minari - I thought it was very good, but not Osacar-worthy.

I was so happy to go back to the theater! But sadly, every independent theater and small chain in my area has closed permanently. They closed in March 2020 and never reopened. So I am stuck with several AMC locations (most of which are only open Friday-Sunday) and no other choice. AMC is not currently showing anything I want to see. Hopefully this will improve in the coming weeks.

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Are you still an AMC Stubbs member? Is that program still going?

I had meant to check our local cinemas a few days back but forgot...

Checking now, I see that the $5 movie house, 3-miles down the road, is now open daily (It had been open Th-Sun).

There are no longer any business restrictions or mandatory mask wearing here, as of 4/15 in E. Tennessee.

I see that Voyagers got some not too stellar reviews on RT.

The new Godzilla/Kong movie has promising reviews though!

I might check these out...

With the cinemas being closed for so long and the lack of any quality new releases, I think that many of us (me included) are simply out the loop with regard to new movies being released. Not much movie "buzz" these days, even here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021